• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

I am a newbie who took off from Japan sir by Atlas
[May 16, 2024, 12:43:47 PM]

Mag switches with DCS by questerymj
[May 11, 2024, 08:11:05 AM]

USAeroSim DCS F16c CDU Software by snakedoc
[May 10, 2024, 09:10:22 AM]

Author Topic: NEW: Sample Questions for New Registration Verification?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
NEW: Sample Questions for New Registration Verification?
« on: April 11, 2019, 06:17:36 PM »
I am testing a new Registration form, that would require New Member Registrations to identify various cockpit components as part of the "Anti-Spam" verification process.  Theoretically a SpamBot would not be able to decipher these photos, or respond with the correct spelled out answer.

During the Registration verification process, New Members would be asked relatively simple questions such as:

The "Head's Up Display" (HUD) is shown as number (spell out the number):   correct answer would be "five"

Any comments?   :wacko:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:32:54 AM by Sandman »

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: TEST: Simple F16 Quiz for New Registrations?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 11:50:58 PM »
@Sandman : Not a bad idea, as long as it is kept rather simple on the knowledge front.
My concern is the lockup of the progress reports. When i joined-in, it was freely accessible. That helped me decide if i want to become a member. Trust me, being able to see other folks' work is inspiring.

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
Re: TEST: Simple F16 Quiz for New Registrations?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 12:15:48 AM »
Good idea.  And NICE to see you around again Sandman!
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
NEW: Sample Questions for New Registration Verification?
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 01:02:47 AM »
These registration verification questions are meant to be relatively simple.  They are primarily intended to distinguish between real "live" registrations from automated robot registrations- and to have a little VIPER-PIT FUN in the process!  Most people who are interested in flight simulators would have little difficulty correctly answering these verification questions.

The registration section has always had several verification questions... but the old questions were often difficult for Newbies to answer correctly.  For example, "What color are the seat cushions?" - the correct forum answer was "green".  But what if they answered "black" (MLU)? or "olive"?  Those answers would have caused the registration to be rejected, because they didn't answer "green".  This new verification format should make it easier for new members to complete the registration form and correctly answer a few verification questions.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:11:56 AM by Sandman »

Offline Taipan

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Re: NEW: Sample Questions for New Registration Verification?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 06:08:35 PM »
Good idea Mark.
I think items 2, 4 and 6 could be construed by a newbie in different ways though. The others are obious.

For instance, are 4 & 6 BOTH pointing to the glare shield ? Is 2 pointing to the UHF or sidewall. Experienced people know better - but do you want to exclude people who are very new ?

If you want the instrument or panel identified, then i would make the arrows go deeper. Or, make the questions multiple choice so that the newbies are in a better position if they are still learning.

Just my 2c.
"If the heat don't get you........"

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 12:32:43 AM »
Appreciate your thoughts gentlemen-
From the question asked, the correct "number" will be quite obvious-
Questions are not intended to be tricky or difficult

For example, Which number points to the Cockpit Rudder Pedals?  (spell out the number):

The server might ask about different parts, or might just rearrange the existing numbers, so the answers would potentially be different for each attempted registration.  A real human would have no difficulty responding with the correct answer, while an automated registration would likely fail to know how to answer.

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 01:15:14 PM »
Sandman,

I think Nobody can register since you put your new system up

The questions are there, but refer to a picture which is not displayed on the registration page
So basically nobody can answer the questions

Unless I'm blind the image does not display
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 05:17:01 PM »
RD-

This "verification" system is still undergoing testing and comments- it should NOT be active yet- 
I've been using slow times when nearly no one is online to test various formats.

I must have left one of the test version up accidentally- MY BAD   :brickwall:

Thanks for letting me know- original registration system has been reactivated

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 06:24:43 PM »
Good work Mark.

I think it is important that we make it easier for folks to join so we keep membership pool up but without any SPAMMERS joining.  The easier it is to join, I think it will be much better.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal