There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by ChrispyBiscuit99
[Today at 06:49:56 AM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: Cockpit sounds throrugh headset and external sounds out of speakers! DONE!  (Read 2559 times)

Offline MrWell

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Hi,
long time ago I read on BenchmarkSims from someone who had a very cusious problem. He wasn't hearing internal cockpit sounds.
The issue was related to 5.1 sudio system. So I thought that could be a beginning to get external sounds through external speakers and cockpit sounds through headset.
It seems that BMS cannot handle propertly 5.1 sound (it sends different audio output to each channel) and we will take advantage of it.

Well, today I began to test and it is pretty easy to do!!!  :yihaw:

We only need a 5.1 PC audio card with this type of connections:

We have to use orange output for inside cockpit sounds  (comms, bitching betty, clicks...) and gren output for outside cockpit sounds (booms, engines, etc). That's all!!!

I use Sharkoon 5.1 headset for inside cockpit sounds and external 5.1 speakers systems for outside ones.
I doubt if connecting 5.1 speakers through digital fiber plug of directly to green plug. With first way I'll be able to use IVC through headset the easy way... But that will be another story...

I test with standard 2.1 headphones through orange or green plug and I only got mono sound, so if anyone want to go that path he'll have to solve that first.

Have fun!

References: 

http://www.escuadron111.com/new/index.php?/topic/13024-sonidos-dentro-del-cockpit-en-cascos-y-externos-en-altavoces-done/

http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthread.php?11922-headset-and-subwoofer-combined

http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthread.php?8891-Missing-RWR-Tone&p=110162&viewfull=1#post110162
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:14:57 PM by mrwell »

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
I will experiment with that today. Thank you..
I can see how this will work if you have the audio plug to plug into the sound card. What if you are using, for instance, Flight Sound X? This is a USB plug and it cannot be plugged into a sound card.
BTW, your picture of the audio connection did not work @mrwell
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:09:49 PM by sagrzmnky »
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Great news. Please continue to post your findings as you experiment. I would definitely like to separate external and internal audio for my cockpit.
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline MrWell

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
@sagrzmnky This procedure works with physical separation among channels. If you could isolate or chose the channels you want to hear it would be the same. BMS is sending that outputs to that channels anyway. Maybe that doesn't happen without real 5.1 splitting...

@JCook I will, next test is connecting the other external 5.1 and see what can I do with it and deal with IVC too.

Cheers!

Offline Focaldesign

• General
  • VP Awards King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
IIRC since BMS 4.33 they improved options to get IVC on another channel then sounds. But AI comms are still considered just sounds so will get through the channel of sounds and not to the headset.

From the 4.33-manual page 261

Sound output device: /P <str> or –-playback=<str>
This option allows you to pre-select the sound device that will be used for speaker or headphone output from the IVC client. The strings to use for naming the devices are going to be specific to your system. You will notice from the client UI that the list of possible options for this device is shown in the dialog box – so long as the string you provide with the command line option matches one of those strings, pre-selection should work.
Example: “<YourInstallPath>:\FalconBMS\Bin\x86\ivc\IVC Client.exe” /P Speaker

So you can have human comms send to the headset and set your default windows output to the speakers so BMS sounds will go through that.

Offline Lightning101

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
Re: Cockpit sounds throrugh headset and external sounds out of speakers! DONE!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 01:18:29 PM »
I have ordered a headset (HyperX cloud) this morning so I will try this too with my speaker in the pit. That sound interresting.

Offline Lightning101

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 08:16:49 PM »
Hello,

My headset is arrived today so I test that immediately  :clap:

Results:
I'm able to get the external sound to my speaker when I connect them to the main output (green one)
I'm also able to get the voice comms (tower) in my headset (using center/sub output) without the external sound BUT, all the comms are in mono. Not able to get them in stereo as one of the headset side is for the sub...

If someone have a solution just tell me.

If there's no solution, I think I will use full headset or full speaker depending on the case.

Did you use that set up for online flight/comms?

Offline Maverick996

• Maj. General
  • AMVI pilot
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 02:22:43 AM »
amazing news ;D

Offline MrWell

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 03:24:33 AM »
Hi,
Great you could reproduce it  :beer:
I quote myself from the first post:

I test with standard 2.1 headphones through orange or green plug and I only got mono sound, so if anyone want to go that path he'll have to solve that first.

Well real audio is mono but in both ears, so the solution is easy. Something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/GadKo-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Adapter/dp/B00DRQNOP2/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1505459912&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=mono+to+stereo+adapter&psc=1

Or a homemade cable that makes the same.
Cheers,
Jorge

Offline Lightning101

• General
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 07:51:14 AM »
Thanks Jorge.

I forgot to mentionnes that I always hear thr electric panel that way. The tic tic tic tic sound is always running. Thats annoying.

Offline MrWell

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
I don't understand what you mean with "electric panel". That sound could be electric parasites...

Have you tried the 5.1 speakers/headset the standard way? If they work good, the trick should work too.

Cheers

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »
Thanks Jorge.

I forgot to mentionnes that I always hear thr electric panel that way. The tic tic tic tic sound is always running. Thats annoying.

That is realistic though..  That sound is present in the real cockpit.  Now whether or not you can hear it with your helmet and other stuff is going is debatable and has been for the last 10 years as far as I can remember. 

What you can do is use the sound table in your sounds folder to turn it down.  Contact me on FB I can go through it with you if you want.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Lightning101

• General
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 12:31:53 PM »
I don't understand what you mean with "electric panel". That sound could be electric parasites...

Have you tried the 5.1 speakers/headset the standard way? If they work good, the trick should work too.

Cheers

I mean, you put the Electric panel on Main power, you hear a particular sound. Don't know how to describe it but you know what I mean.

Normally, when the F16 is started you don't hear it all the time. But with my headset solution, you hear it all the time... thats annoying.

Marvin, no problem we will check together. Thanks

Offline MrWell

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »
Oh, affirm that is the electric bus. And you hear it with the engine started?

Offline Lightning101

• General
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 02:16:19 PM »
Oh, affirm that is the electric bus. And you hear it with the engine started?

Yes yesterday I made test with in flight mission and I hear it all the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal