* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 14
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 30, 2024, 06:49:56 AM]

Author Topic: So what's news in BMS 4.32 for pit builders?  (Read 28145 times)

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Re: So what's news in BMS for pit builders?
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
I have a question about paragraph 3 in Red Dog's review:

3. Internal Display extraction.
BMS can externalize it's own displays: MFDS, RWR, HUD, DED, PFD.
BMS must run in windows mode and that is not possible to use over the network.

Is this saying BMS can't run in full screen mode if you use there extractor?
And, secondly is it saying when in windows mode you can't play over the network (ie cvirtual squadron flying with others). Or, is it saying if you use the extractor you can't play over the network?

Can the MFDE utility can be used along side the BMS extractor?

Thanks for the help
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2012, 03:08:06 AM »
Is this saying BMS can't run in full screen mode if you use there extractor?
indeed, it can't run full screen,    BUT
the dev were smart enough to provide a pseudo full screen situation.
What you do is disable the borders (from the display extraction) for the main screen and set it at you native screen/windows resolution and confirm it start at 0.0
You will then have the UI at 1024x768 and it will switch full screen when entering 3D

And, secondly is it saying when in windows mode you can't play over the network
Hell no :) No idea what makes you think of that.
I fly MP as much as possible with my pit :) and with all the pit goodies, including the display extraction

Can the MFDE utility can be used along side the BMS extractor?
Yes and that is actually advised if you want to extract all instruments.
I use BMS extraction just for the MFDs and the rest (ADI, RWR, VVI, AOA, EHSI, sêed, altimeter) are all extracted with MFDE
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up - glad to hear it doesn't interfere with on-line activities / network.

The reason I had a question about that was from your quote "BMS must run in windows mode and that is not possible to use over the network."

I didn't know what you meant by that.

How is performance with the MFDE? Can you recommend some minimum pc and video specs for having multiple monitors?

Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2012, 03:36:33 AM »
I meant it was not possible to extract the BMS display extraction to a second PC to minimize FPS loss

I can't  recomment any minimums, I 'd say get Win7 and a eyefinity video card :)
I used a XP and older generation computer with 6 screens for BMS and i had FPS in the 20 range but couldn't fly campaigns
I now use a I7 with a huge eyefinity card for 6 screens and I'm not limited at all.
It's not MFDE that is the bottle neck, it's the BMS display extraction.

Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 03:43:03 AM »
That is a very important point. By using Win 7 you get mostly a high performance boost in FPS by just changing from XP to Win7. So if there are nor real heavy reasons to stay at XP switch to Win7. 64 Bit Version with 8 GB RAM and it will come good.  :thumbsup:

Animal451

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
I've always used the nVidia cards because my mainboards are SLI, guess I need a new card!

I meant it was not possible to extract the BMS display extraction to a second PC to minimize FPS loss

I can't  recomment any minimums, I 'd say get Win7 and a eyefinity video card :)
I used a XP and older generation computer with 6 screens for BMS and i had FPS in the 20 range but couldn't fly campaigns
I now use a I7 with a huge eyefinity card for 6 screens and I'm not limited at all.
It's not MFDE that is the bottle neck, it's the BMS display extraction.

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2013, 01:00:17 AM »
I could be late to the party here, but I just noticed something that I have not heard anyone talking about. Maybe it has always been this way and I never noticed. I did not know that the pilots head responded to my actual head tracking movement. I was practicing landings and noticed that the pilot kept looking at the displays while the co pilot was looking who knows where. I have never seen him doing much of anything and he never talks to me.. :biggrin:
 I experimented and while on taxi I just looked to the left for about 20 seconds and when I went back to watch the video, sure enough, the pilot did the same thing... :o
 I may be the only one here that just found this out, but I thought it was pretty sweet.  :clap: :-P
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline dg_86

• -=VP Donor=-
  • LT. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »
Well at least you didn't see this when you reviewed a replay...Aaaahhhhhh
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t238/nocturnalsilence/skulls.jpg
So what's news in BMS 4.32 for pit builders?

Haha

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
And if that head moved with my head trackir that would be creepy....lol
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Blackjack366

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »
With the BMS 4.32 updates 1-6, have there been any additions to the shared memory? Also what new callbacks have been implemented? Is the Dash-1 manual updated with each new BMS release?

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »
the dash one is updated but I will release the newer version when we hit 4.33
there were no shared memory changes between 4.32 updates
there were a few minor callbacks changes, but nothing really impacting

4.33 will be different though, that's when the dash 1 will be updated
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2020, 08:35:34 AM »
I thought I'd add here instead of creating another post.

I see a lot of changes in the SM

For example, DrawingData seems very promising! If I'm not mistaken, this means we can draw e.g. the HUD symbology on a vector display, like this?

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2020, 01:01:45 PM »
In this respect, the RWR solution from @lightning using a Teensy is equally usable for the HUD, creating vector graphics.
The RWR has the CRT and drive electronics inside (although power outputs stages are still required).
For the HUD, maybe and old oscilloscope with a 3" round CRT (eBay, etc) would be a good start. Buying just a CRT is not clever. For almost the same amount of money you can get the CRT, amplifiers and PSU in a unit. Just take care (damn high voltages present, but using common sense and observing safety will do).
The guy from Oscilloclock.com has a really nice design, but start  :countingmoney:   :whistle:

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2020, 06:36:47 AM »
But nice ideas.. I still look for a Solution to get my HUD working  :countingmoney:

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »
But nice ideas.. I still look for a Solution to get my HUD working  :countingmoney:
What exactly do you need?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal