DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by Jakkuh-15
[April 17, 2024, 09:36:07 AM]

Hello from the UK! by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 09, 2024, 01:19:26 PM]

Hi! From Turkiye by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:23 PM]

Hello from Greece by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:06 PM]

Author Topic: So what's news in BMS 4.32 for pit builders?  (Read 28014 times)

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
So what's news in BMS 4.32 for pit builders?
« on: September 07, 2011, 03:47:11 AM »
Let's try to recap the changes you might encounter converting to OF/AF whatever to BMS - speaking of homebuilt cockpit:
Bear with me, it's been years I haven't flown OF and sometime I may forget new stuff, so for the moment, let me declare this post WIP.
I'll update this with correction, addition in the coming days

1. The structure of the shared memory has not quite changed to assure that previous third party applications remains compatible.

2. Old unused shared bits have been renamed and re used as new functionalites. (The list is explained in the document below)
The new (renamed) functionnalities are:
EQUIP HOT caution light. Failure to use airsource will overheat the avionics & shut the FCR off... amongst other things.
OBOGS system
FLCS ABDC branches implemented but considered as a single unit and not 4 different ones
FLCS bit implemented with RUN and FAIL light. The FLCS bit switch should be a two position magnetic switch
DBU Warning light

3. Internal Display extraction.
BMS can externalize it's own displays: MFDS, RWR, HUD, DED, PFD.
BMS must run in windows mode and that is not possible to use over the network.
Each window can be resized and can be displayed with or without border (included the main BMS windows)
To have F4 run in full screen with windows mode, just unselect the borders from the main screen in the display extraction applet and set BMS to run at native display resolution in the graphic control menu of the UI.
MFDE still should work (but not yet to extract the MFDs if I recall correctly, MFDE needed an update for that to work again, and I lost track of the updates there so I may be wrong.
I personnaly use MFDE to extract all instruments (AOA, VVI, EHSI, ADI, Mach, Altitude & TTD) so both ways work along fine.

4. LOTS of new full states and toggles callbacks
See file below for details.
Your biggest problem will be the key file.
The two default key file coming with the BMS install do not (if I remember right) have all the latest callbacks implemented. Especially for pitbuilders.
So you will have to track them down and add them all to your own keyfile.
It is unfortunately clear that none of the default key file will suit the needs of pitbuilders. But we know that and we can make our own (after all we build pits, that's much harder than to create a key file) The document below explains how to do it.
Many of us pitbuilders use our own key file. I created mine on the initial work of Jody and spread it amongst a few of you already. It's still available at the end of this post and you will also find a list of ALL BMS 4.32 callbacks. The ones in red are not to be used, the ones in green are new ones. The list is sorted panel by panel, so that should be useful to this crowd.
Final comment, for those lazy ones of you, my own key file is also included in that package. that's the one I use nowadays in my pit and is features all newest BMS4.0 callbacks. That being said, lots of toggles are left out and views and comms callbacks are kept to a minimum.
Of course this RD-pit.key file can me modified heavily according to your tastes.

5. Fully DX capable stick files.
two layers DX possible, etc etc

6. More analogue axis support
It is now MUCH MUCH better to implement knobs with regular pots instead of rotaries using keystrokes. The response is much more fluid and in some aspects such as the HUD brightness, quite irremplaceable IMHO
The following controls can be mapped to pots
COMM1, COMM2, Threat and Sidewinder, Intercom Volume knob. Please note, all volume pots should be logarithmic
HUD and HMCS brightness
YAW, PITCH & ROLL Manual trims

Some needs ON/OFF buttons at the beginning of the course (CCW) that one is programmed with the ON/OFF callback. the relevant pots are HUD brightness, HMCS brightness;  COMM1 & COMM2

When using pots for those controls, with NO ON/OFF button, the pots will implement their current position in the game. that means that if you quit the game with an Offset yawtrim pot, the yaw trim will still be offset on the next mission: PREFLIGHT ramp checks gents !!

7. Throttle cutoff code
No need for the idle detent anymore. Use the real cutoff point on your pits. Works much better than this stupid keystroke. I think this was already part of OF.

Here's a copy of a BMS article for pitbuilders:
http://www.candyparty.com/ST/Download/Checklists/BMS/Document/bms_cockpitbuilders.pdf
Here's the callback spreadsheet, cockpitbuilder keyfile and documenation and my own stick file for the Cougar.
http://www.candyparty.com/ST/Download/Checklists/BMS/Document/F4_BMS4_RD.zip

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 05:59:13 AM by Red Dog »
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: So what's news in BMS for pit builders?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 03:47:44 AM »
8. Gauges
Some gauges value in the sharedmem have been corrected as they were wrong (busted) in OF
RPM now behaves correctly according to block 50 (GE) or block 52 (PW) engine model
FTIT was corrected
NOZ POS was corrected.

You may need to check your third party reader there for accuracy.
AIC work splendid in that aspect - but that's the only one I checked.

9. volumes level
The volume managment has completely changed, normally, you'd set the volume to the recommended level in the UI.
Flying MP may create some initial problems between Engine volume and IVC and even with AI coms.
In case you need to adjust IVC volume against AI coms, you can map relevant callbacks to any hotas button or use the tiny Backup UHF volume knob with the mouse to adjust one volume against the other.
This control at this time cannot be mapped to an analogue pot

The intercom is a special volume that controls all sounds normally heard in the pilot headset. That's used to balance headset sounds against the others. it is possible to map is to an analogue pot.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:45:04 AM by Red Dog »
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 04:00:06 AM »
Ramp checks now working (but still kind of eye candy)

- Chocks implemented? WARNING, with the new FM, a lightly loaded aircfraft may roll on the taxiway at idle power (this is realistic)
since parking brakes can't be used at ramp, BMS implemnted chocks. Aircraft are chocked at ramp and pilot must remove chocks  though the tower menu (you have to be on a tower freq). It is possible to jump the chocks, so beware in your checks, do not overpower a chocked aircraft. usually, max 85% for SEC and EPU checks.
That's why toebrakes are to be used to complement chocks while performing those checks

- Local pressure (QNH) impelmented as well.
Get the latest QNH from tower menu at ramp. and set your altimeter straight. The callbacks are present to make it from an encoder, BUT the local pressure value is NOT YET in the shared memory. As a consequence, third party shared memory applets will not display the correct QNH (the 3d pit will)

- RAMP start with CANOPY open gents, so close it before engaging JFS

- BACKUP radio works in battery power. You have no VHF backup radio. only UHF selectable through the channel backup UHF panel display.
This works only when the CNI switch (AUX COMM) panel is in BACKUP. When you switch it to UFC, radio controls are done with the UFC COM1 (UHF) & COM2 (VHF) pages

- EPU checks are now fully implemented

- AR door checks are (were) implemented

- Probeheat checks implemented

- Fire & overheat test implemented

- MAL & IND checks are implemnted (beware of the way push button works) you'll need to progra both press and release action there. Momentary won't work, see callback lists

- SEC CHECK fully implemented

- FLCS bit implemented. Mag switch there, takes about 45 seconds. During test RUN light comes ON and flight controls move in sequence (visible through MP) after test the run light goes OFF and switch is released. If test has FAILED, the FAIl light comes ON and the only way to reset it is to redo another FLCS BIT

- Avionics:
TWA & TWP now needs double lights in their casing. double function for some indicators are now implemented (Handoff, priority mode, etc etc)
More info on this later as I reckon, I still have to mod that in my pit.

- Trims ...
asymetric loading (or fuel imbalance) will create trim problems. As such trim management is now much more important than before.
There are two type of trims in the F-16: stick trims (Pitch and roll) implemented as keystrokes or DX and MAN trim better implemented as analogue axis with pots.
It is possible to implement those with the mouse or the keystroke, but the way it is done is a real pain ( left click to start mouvement, right click to stop action or press and release keys. Momentary will not work)
Honestly gents, save yourself the trouble and get pots for those.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:28:50 AM by Red Dog »
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline Falcas

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • http://www.weapondeliveryplanner.nl
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:32:33 AM »
You may need to check your third party reader there for accuracy.
AIC work splendid in that aspect - but that's the only one I checked.

Maybe because AIC was build for BMS  :harhar:  :harhar:  :harhar:

Nice listing you got going RD!!!
Planning to do the relevant stuff for pitbuilding only?
If not, you will be busy writing for a while  :harhar:

Gr Falcas
My site: Weapon Delivery Planner Ver 3.7.11.117
MC Ver 0.5.10.398
WC ver 1.3.0.11
Set HUD only 1.4.0
AIC ver 6.5.7

Splash-Hawk

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:57:40 AM »
Wow, talk about Doggy style !

Amazing job :clap:

Olivier, you wouldn?t happen to have a link to the BMS 4.32 manual (pdf), would you? (yes I know it?s in the BMS/doc folder ;-)

Sure looks like an MFDE modification allowing MFDs extraction and export is gonna be badly needed.

Anyways, a revolution !!!

Thank?s !

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:02:01 AM »
If not, you will be busy writing for a while  :harhar:

Here yes, the rest will be covered on the BMS dash 1 manual I am writing.
So I am pretty busy writing actually  :biggrin:
No need to talk about FM, IDM, TGP, Harm, mavericks, AI, KOTAR etc etc here
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Splash-Hawk

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 06:25:48 AM »
Rgr that !

By the way, is it just me, or do we now have Jet wash turbulences, and ground effect air flow on landings ???
Yes I?ll admit it, my first Jet wash behind Goupil, (French legend in the pit community), led to serious uncontrolled oscillations followed by a black out and death...So yes, I think I?m in paradise !

/Splash

Offline Falcas

• Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 06:46:21 AM »
If not, you will be busy writing for a while  :harhar:

Here yes, the rest will be covered on the BMS dash 1 manual I am writing.
So I am pretty busy writing actually  :biggrin:
No need to talk about FM, IDM, TGP, Harm, mavericks, AI, KOTAR etc etc here

You are doing great work RD!!!
MC Ver 0.5.10.398
WC ver 1.3.0.11
Set HUD only 1.4.0
AIC ver 6.5.7

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:03:14 AM »
The BMS cockpit PDF is a great primer. I hope you can expand on each topic in it more as time allows for you.
It would be great for those hapless among us (me).
You have a gift for explaining in simple terms, the pit vernacular can be intimidating to many not familiar with inner workings of keyfiles, shared mem addresses etc..
Thanks for all the hard work. :vprules:

Offline vito_zm

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 11:57:04 AM »
I try to make my ICP work with RD key file. I found one mistake on page 10 in RD-Pit KEY STROKES --- BMS. Where is SHF-CTL-ALT-A   ICP DRIFCO/NORM but in setup BMS4 is  SHF-CTL-ALT-q. I suppose it's changed with ELEC OFF.
And the other question is on ICP COMM 1 and 2. On page 13 is SHF-KP / AND  SHF-KP * but in setup is SHF / and SHF * without NUM.
Am I right?

Offline MrBones

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • The F-16 Simulator Project
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »
I want to say Thank You to all involved with the BMS project.  Red Dog your work is outstanding and much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 01:01:05 PM »
That's because i do own a azerty keyboard vito
So some keystrokes in my documentation are unfortunately different from the qwerty keyboard

I try to make my ICP work with RD key file. I found one mistake on page 10 in RD-Pit KEY STROKES --- BMS. Where is SHF-CTL-ALT-A   ICP DRIFCO/NORM but in setup BMS4 is  SHF-CTL-ALT-q. I suppose it's changed with ELEC OFF.
And the other question is on ICP COMM 1 and 2. On page 13 is SHF-KP / AND  SHF-KP * but in setup is SHF / and SHF * without NUM.
Am I right?
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline vito_zm

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
Thanks for explanation RD. So, yours key file is important for me at setup of BMS4.

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 02:27:41 PM »
BMS is the ULTIMATE sim for pit-builders now (blah, blah, MSFX, blah, blah, yeah go bomb something in a war).  The features and added callbacks add to the immersion and realism.  If I'm not mistaken even some switches which do not yet function in the sim will toggle states.  It's been a while since I last played with BMS or even my pit for that matter.  It's still in pieces!

Oliver, is the feature for the "blacked-out" cockpit for pit-builders still included?  I can't remember the name of the callback but it makes the interior of the on-screen cockpit disappear.  It was one of the features I loved the most.
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 05:01:22 PM »
Yes Rich, it is enabled. It can be activated with a keystroke
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline mihi4

• General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • https://f16simulator.net
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 09:12:25 AM »
O-M-G!

Just miss out some weeks during the summer and you miss the best things of the year :)

Funny thing is, I'm already in planning mode for moving my pit to it's room in the basement and rebuild it again - without knowing about BMS..

can't wait for it :)

greetings
michi
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
https://f16simulator.net

Offline gancio

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 02:38:01 PM »
Many many thanks Olivier for sharing those files. I've  the afternoon to rewrinting to tailoring on my hardware and still not finish. Anyway, thank you again.
Giorgio

Offline gancio

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 04:08:05 AM »
There is any chance to use Ayes 3D empy shell with new BMS?
Thanks
Giorgio

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 04:19:38 AM »
No need Gancio, BMS features an empty pit
You can see  it (not quite clearly I agree) in this picture:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 04:21:52 AM by Red Dog »
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

f16mace

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 05:38:17 AM »
BMS4.32 is perfect MFD. so really good;-)

Offline gancio

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »
Thanks Olivier, found out.
I still adapting Your great configuration file to mine.
It was the very last command in the list.
Thanks again.
Giorgio

Offline KK

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 10:53:07 AM »
BMS4.32 is perfect MFD. so really good;-)

yeah, and you lucky guy have your own theater.  8)
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline Lemmi22

• Maj. General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 04:07:01 PM »
Btw: Is it possible to remove the HUD when using the empty cockpit shell?

I'm planning to use a homebuilt HUD-projection instead the ingame HUD....
Thx in andvance!
Current status of my "Aces II"
and my cockpit at the attic:
http://viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=7500.0

Offline Reboot

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 04:12:40 PM »
I guess you could still edit the  3dckpit.dat file to get rid of the HUD ???

Offline Ripley

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »
"The FLCS bit switch should be a two position magnetic switch"

Is there a comparable magnetic switch on the panel of the MLU?

Offline Falcas

• Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 08:22:47 PM »
Hi Rip,

In the MLU the switch is called "Self Test" on the Flight control panel.

Gr Falcas
MC Ver 0.5.10.398
WC ver 1.3.0.11
Set HUD only 1.4.0
AIC ver 6.5.7

Offline Lemmi22

• Maj. General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 09:07:41 AM »
I guess you could still edit the  3dckpit.dat file to get rid of the HUD ???

That worked so far.... Got all the letters and digits from HUD away.
The only thing that still remains is the "green round circle" from the HUD, which still appears.
I guess there is one option I missed to deactivate - still needs some tweaking.
Current status of my "Aces II"
and my cockpit at the attic:
http://viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=7500.0

Offline Reboot

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 10:04:57 AM »
Hi Lemmi22,
                         Have you seen this line in the dat file

hudview_tint_color       50000000;

I can?t test this for you because I have problems with my computer at the moment, try changing the 50000000 to something else and see what it does.

Reboot.

Offline vito_zm

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 01:11:16 AM »
What about fps in BMS4 ? I have WinXP, i7 - 920 CPU and 3 cards : HD 3870, HD3450 oraz HD4350 and 6 monitors. I extract MFDs and CP with MFDE  and I have only 16 - 20 fps. Without MFDs fps = 40, and without MFDs and MFDE fps = 65. How is influence resolution of main monitor on fps?
What should I do to improve fps?

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 03:04:32 AM »
Vito,

extracting MFDs cut my FPS in half as well
BUT

I'm on XP and I'm on Nvidia
you are on Win7 and ATI

Yours is a configuration that should allow much more FPS as others pitbuilders have reported (White - Eagle, Falcas, Nigel, etc etc)
So you should be able to improve that
In the meantime any guys can bring their advice, I suggest you lower the shaders in the config to get a few FPS back
Water and shadows are two big fps killer
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline vito_zm

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 04:25:59 AM »
Thanks for yours advices. One remark I have WinXP, so I think that new Win7 will improve my fps.

lotzo

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »
hi

i have 70+fps with 2 x mfd export

but the 3d world ist not really fluid  -> Micro-stuttering
with mfd?s off -> no stutters

-with Nvidia or ATI
-with one vga  for all
-with a seperate vga for the mfd?s

mfg

Offline Rocky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »
I took RD's advice and tweaked his new BMS4.32 keyfile. I have changed some of them and added many more.
For example...x=keys doesn't like ALT '. Working with Xpadder and X-keys, I found it necessary to map the keyfile with particular keys as oppossed to the wildcard 0XFFFFF.
I added an excel file for easy reference of existing and future keyfile availability.
Reminder leave the SHF CTL ALT 1,2,3 open for Lightning's MFDE for BMS????????????

Rocky

Offline Falcao

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »
hey RD, him using your key file and i?m having issues with the dogfight switch in the cougar.
everytime i switch DF, it changes to DF mode for half a second and then turns back to NAV mode.
 ...or i?m missing something?

cheers
(v)2Lt Harpoon
872nd Fighter Squadron
http://www.87th.org

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 03:38:16 AM »
Hey Falcao!
Look in the view in the Cougar Control panel and see if the switch flip back there too (it light up red when its on)
If it does spike in the controlpanel its not the keyfile.

Could be a gnd problem.

Kukki
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:50:07 AM by Kukki »

Offline Reboot

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 03:45:25 AM »

Reminder leave the SHF CTL ALT 1,2,3 open for Lightning's MFDE for BMS????????????

@Rocky,
                  BMS doesn?t have the 2D pit anymore, so it isn?t necessary to switch backwards and forwards with the Hot-Keys,

If MFD-E doesn?t need them, then there available for Key mapping. 

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 09:55:46 AM »
Do you leave the switch in position or do you recenter it after half a second?
I didn't put any delay and special function in there as I remember and i don't have the issue ...

hey RD, him using your key file and i?m having issues with the dogfight switch in the cougar.
everytime i switch DF, it changes to DF mode for half a second and then turns back to NAV mode.
 ...or i?m missing something?

cheers
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
With BMS and Cougar, do you guys still use Foxy to program or Target? I was using Target, but I get real tired of the startup and shut down of Target.  I know that if you use these programs, you can program multiple layers, but is that realistic? The 3d pit in BMS 4.32 makes it easier to use the pit switches anyway.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Rambo

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 03:37:43 PM »
With BMS and Cougar, do you guys still use Foxy to program or Target? I was using Target, but I get real tired of the startup and shut down of Target.  I know that if you use these programs, you can program multiple layers, but is that realistic? The 3d pit in BMS 4.32 makes it easier to use the pit switches anyway.

Is it easy to program the Cougar with T.A.R.G.E.T ?

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 05:13:57 PM »

Is it easy to program the Cougar with T.A.R.G.E.T ?
I found it easy to program with Target, but it was a lot easier to just go into bms and the controller page and assign the cougar buttons to an action. The only issue I am having is that the dgft cancel middle switch is not recognized because it is neutral.

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 01:21:23 AM »
If you set up your cougar to DX

Make sure you ALWAYS have this here line in your falconbms.cfg

set g_bHotasDgftSelfCancel 1

Kukki

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 02:52:22 AM »
Let me sound like a total newbie here(which I am), but what would that line do Kukki? I mean, I understand the self cancel, but will it do that when the switch is turned off? To get it to cancel from the mrm side, does it do the same or do I need to add another line?

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 05:29:02 AM »
Yes, try it

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2011, 01:07:40 PM »
Ok.. My programming skills are very bad so please help me. What do you mean when you say DX?
Here is where I am at. I go into the controller page in BMS and click on a command and then push a button on the cougar. When I click on dogfight(d), I move the switch to assign it and the same with missile (m). When I move the switch, the assignment changes in the controller page except for the cancel position. It shows no button there. When I am in flight however, if I move the switch to dogfight, it changes the HUD but when I move it to MRM it does not change. It is still in DFGT mode on the HUD. I have to push "c". If I move the switch to MRM, the HUD moves from nav to MRM. However, when I move it back to center or dfgt either one, it will not cancel from MRM until I click "c". I copied and pasted your line to the falcon bms config file and it didn't change anything. What am I doing wrong?

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »
Hey GM!
Sorry mate, im not that much into it my self, but my stuff works.

Dx = DirectX programming of the hotas instead of keycommands (the hotas functions are programmed into BMS)

Here is my pit files: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2667097/files.zip

Try for a test to load the 2 tmm and tmj files down to your cougar
backup your falconbms.cfg and use mine (be aware of that I use external displays, so you might go into the configuration when you load bms and change the stuff you want)
and the try to load my kukkipitkey.key

Note its a file based on RedDogs and for working with a full pit.

Try it, and the open the files and analyze them.
in the button of the fay file you see all the hotas dx programming.

Kukki

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2011, 03:13:35 PM »
I am at work right now but when I get home tonight I will try it out and let you know. Thanks for the help Kukki. I appreciate all of the time you guys spend with us new guys. I hope we can all return the favor.

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline ulti

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »
Hello Kukki,

At this moment i'm in the middle of programmaing keys and get my lightbits to work in BMS.
You said that the key file from you is based on the one from Red Dog.
Is your key-file made for a qwerty keyboard ? (red dog is using a azerty keyboard)

Thanks Martin

--> Never fly faster than your guardian angel can <--

FCC-2 Cougar, BMS , EDTrackerPro

My cockpit

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
Didn't think about that. Good question.

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2011, 09:38:25 PM »
Looking through the keyfile, it looks like a qwerty keyboard setup although I can't seem to find the dogfight, mrm, or cancel in the keyfile.

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »
I copied and added your keyfile and cfg file into the cfg folder. The throttle does the same thing. When shifted to mrm or dfg, it stays there except now I can't get it to go back to nav when I push the "c" key.

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2011, 01:46:24 AM »
did you do as I described, if you dont use ALL files it will not work.

Ans I did have to make some changes to RD keyfile to make it work on my Danish keyboard layout.

Kukki

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 01:53:17 AM »
Where do I go to load the files into the cougar?

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 01:55:20 AM »
in foxy

put the 2 files in the files folder in foxy (so you know you have them here)
then open them in foxy program both of them and upload to the cougar.

The files are almost empty, and tells the cougar to use DX.
But there is i still some extra features in there, like shift + uhf = declare and shift + vhf = picture
+ I have wheel brakes on the paddle when there is WOW (waight on wheel) have no rudders.

Kukki
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:57:40 AM by Kukki »

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2011, 02:05:43 AM »
Should the launcher jet in the toolbar be green because it is red

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2011, 02:06:44 AM »
I haven't used Foxy in a long time.

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2011, 02:11:24 AM »
GM.

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2011, 02:16:38 AM »
You are a patient, patient man Kukki...lol. Thank you for the help, but I may have to ask for your help again tomorrow. It is 1:10 am here and I have to go to work at 7 am. I don't even have skype yet and need to install that. Can I get in touch with you later? Maybe tomorrow some time. I am not sure what the time difference is between us.

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2011, 02:18:07 AM »
I guess it's about 8 am over there.

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2011, 02:20:58 AM »
I guess it's about 8 am over there.

yes, its my freeday today :-)

Back again friday, or you can see me on skype when you have that installed, and I can help you, just call me on skype when you see me.

Good night mate.

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2011, 02:21:48 AM »
Thanks for all of your help. I will catch you soon in here again.

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
I have a question about paragraph 3 in Red Dog's review:

3. Internal Display extraction.
BMS can externalize it's own displays: MFDS, RWR, HUD, DED, PFD.
BMS must run in windows mode and that is not possible to use over the network.

Is this saying BMS can't run in full screen mode if you use there extractor?
And, secondly is it saying when in windows mode you can't play over the network (ie cvirtual squadron flying with others). Or, is it saying if you use the extractor you can't play over the network?

Can the MFDE utility can be used along side the BMS extractor?

Thanks for the help
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2012, 03:08:06 AM »
Is this saying BMS can't run in full screen mode if you use there extractor?
indeed, it can't run full screen,    BUT
the dev were smart enough to provide a pseudo full screen situation.
What you do is disable the borders (from the display extraction) for the main screen and set it at you native screen/windows resolution and confirm it start at 0.0
You will then have the UI at 1024x768 and it will switch full screen when entering 3D

And, secondly is it saying when in windows mode you can't play over the network
Hell no :) No idea what makes you think of that.
I fly MP as much as possible with my pit :) and with all the pit goodies, including the display extraction

Can the MFDE utility can be used along side the BMS extractor?
Yes and that is actually advised if you want to extract all instruments.
I use BMS extraction just for the MFDs and the rest (ADI, RWR, VVI, AOA, EHSI, sêed, altimeter) are all extracted with MFDE
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up - glad to hear it doesn't interfere with on-line activities / network.

The reason I had a question about that was from your quote "BMS must run in windows mode and that is not possible to use over the network."

I didn't know what you meant by that.

How is performance with the MFDE? Can you recommend some minimum pc and video specs for having multiple monitors?

Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2012, 03:36:33 AM »
I meant it was not possible to extract the BMS display extraction to a second PC to minimize FPS loss

I can't  recomment any minimums, I 'd say get Win7 and a eyefinity video card :)
I used a XP and older generation computer with 6 screens for BMS and i had FPS in the 20 range but couldn't fly campaigns
I now use a I7 with a huge eyefinity card for 6 screens and I'm not limited at all.
It's not MFDE that is the bottle neck, it's the BMS display extraction.

Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 03:43:03 AM »
That is a very important point. By using Win 7 you get mostly a high performance boost in FPS by just changing from XP to Win7. So if there are nor real heavy reasons to stay at XP switch to Win7. 64 Bit Version with 8 GB RAM and it will come good.  :thumbsup:

Animal451

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
I've always used the nVidia cards because my mainboards are SLI, guess I need a new card!

I meant it was not possible to extract the BMS display extraction to a second PC to minimize FPS loss

I can't  recomment any minimums, I 'd say get Win7 and a eyefinity video card :)
I used a XP and older generation computer with 6 screens for BMS and i had FPS in the 20 range but couldn't fly campaigns
I now use a I7 with a huge eyefinity card for 6 screens and I'm not limited at all.
It's not MFDE that is the bottle neck, it's the BMS display extraction.

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2013, 01:00:17 AM »
I could be late to the party here, but I just noticed something that I have not heard anyone talking about. Maybe it has always been this way and I never noticed. I did not know that the pilots head responded to my actual head tracking movement. I was practicing landings and noticed that the pilot kept looking at the displays while the co pilot was looking who knows where. I have never seen him doing much of anything and he never talks to me.. :biggrin:
 I experimented and while on taxi I just looked to the left for about 20 seconds and when I went back to watch the video, sure enough, the pilot did the same thing... :o
 I may be the only one here that just found this out, but I thought it was pretty sweet.  :clap: :-P

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline dg_86

• -=VP Donor=-
  • LT. General
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »
Well at least you didn't see this when you reviewed a replay...Aaaahhhhhh
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t238/nocturnalsilence/skulls.jpg
So what's news in BMS 4.32 for pit builders?

Haha

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
And if that head moved with my head trackir that would be creepy....lol

My build thread
 Pokeys, x-key

Blackjack366

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »
With the BMS 4.32 updates 1-6, have there been any additions to the shared memory? Also what new callbacks have been implemented? Is the Dash-1 manual updated with each new BMS release?

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »
the dash one is updated but I will release the newer version when we hit 4.33
there were no shared memory changes between 4.32 updates
there were a few minor callbacks changes, but nothing really impacting

4.33 will be different though, that's when the dash 1 will be updated
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2020, 08:35:34 AM »
I thought I'd add here instead of creating another post.

I see a lot of changes in the SM

For example, DrawingData seems very promising! If I'm not mistaken, this means we can draw e.g. the HUD symbology on a vector display, like this?

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2020, 01:01:45 PM »
In this respect, the RWR solution from @lightning using a Teensy is equally usable for the HUD, creating vector graphics.
The RWR has the CRT and drive electronics inside (although power outputs stages are still required).
For the HUD, maybe and old oscilloscope with a 3" round CRT (eBay, etc) would be a good start. Buying just a CRT is not clever. For almost the same amount of money you can get the CRT, amplifiers and PSU in a unit. Just take care (damn high voltages present, but using common sense and observing safety will do).
The guy from Oscilloclock.com has a really nice design, but start  :countingmoney:   :whistle:

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2020, 06:36:47 AM »
But nice ideas.. I still look for a Solution to get my HUD working  :countingmoney:

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »
But nice ideas.. I still look for a Solution to get my HUD working  :countingmoney:
What exactly do you need?

Offline KK

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2020, 03:26:26 AM »
I see a lot of changes in the SM

What impacted me the most is that they have now execution lines
in the SM for string copy operations based on C++ V11
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 couldn't handle that anymore
so I had to upgrade to 2012.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2020, 08:12:06 AM »
Can you explain that? I saw that section but couldn't understand what it's for

Offline Cupra

• General
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2020, 01:32:02 PM »
What exactly do you need?

A solution that is sharp and bright enough to handle my HUD. A real CRT with HDMI input or a OLED display with 4k Resolution at 6" and extreme brightness. Like they are used on smartphones. And maybe I find something below 2.000$. :countingmoney: :stupid:

Offline Romanski

• MSC
  • Administrator
  • General
  • www.31st.nl
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2020, 02:29:18 PM »
Check this one :

7.85" Ultra Brightness:

https://store.dji.com/product/crystalsky?vid=23491

« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:35:17 PM by Romanski »
"...Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die!
Won't you run, live to fly, fly to live, Aces high!"

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2020, 12:26:08 AM »
A real CRT with HDMI input or a OLED display with 4k Resolution at 6" and extreme brightness.
Cupra, the point of that section of the SM is that now you can recreate the HUD as a vector display like the real thing. Using raster was already possible (MFD/HUD extraction)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal