DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by Jakkuh-15
[April 17, 2024, 09:36:07 AM]

Hello from the UK! by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 09, 2024, 01:19:26 PM]

Hi! From Turkiye by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:23 PM]

Hello from Greece by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:06 PM]

Author Topic: So what's news in BMS 4.32 for pit builders?  (Read 28005 times)

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
So what's news in BMS 4.32 for pit builders?
« on: September 07, 2011, 03:47:11 AM »
Let's try to recap the changes you might encounter converting to OF/AF whatever to BMS - speaking of homebuilt cockpit:
Bear with me, it's been years I haven't flown OF and sometime I may forget new stuff, so for the moment, let me declare this post WIP.
I'll update this with correction, addition in the coming days

1. The structure of the shared memory has not quite changed to assure that previous third party applications remains compatible.

2. Old unused shared bits have been renamed and re used as new functionalites. (The list is explained in the document below)
The new (renamed) functionnalities are:
EQUIP HOT caution light. Failure to use airsource will overheat the avionics & shut the FCR off... amongst other things.
OBOGS system
FLCS ABDC branches implemented but considered as a single unit and not 4 different ones
FLCS bit implemented with RUN and FAIL light. The FLCS bit switch should be a two position magnetic switch
DBU Warning light

3. Internal Display extraction.
BMS can externalize it's own displays: MFDS, RWR, HUD, DED, PFD.
BMS must run in windows mode and that is not possible to use over the network.
Each window can be resized and can be displayed with or without border (included the main BMS windows)
To have F4 run in full screen with windows mode, just unselect the borders from the main screen in the display extraction applet and set BMS to run at native display resolution in the graphic control menu of the UI.
MFDE still should work (but not yet to extract the MFDs if I recall correctly, MFDE needed an update for that to work again, and I lost track of the updates there so I may be wrong.
I personnaly use MFDE to extract all instruments (AOA, VVI, EHSI, ADI, Mach, Altitude & TTD) so both ways work along fine.

4. LOTS of new full states and toggles callbacks
See file below for details.
Your biggest problem will be the key file.
The two default key file coming with the BMS install do not (if I remember right) have all the latest callbacks implemented. Especially for pitbuilders.
So you will have to track them down and add them all to your own keyfile.
It is unfortunately clear that none of the default key file will suit the needs of pitbuilders. But we know that and we can make our own (after all we build pits, that's much harder than to create a key file) The document below explains how to do it.
Many of us pitbuilders use our own key file. I created mine on the initial work of Jody and spread it amongst a few of you already. It's still available at the end of this post and you will also find a list of ALL BMS 4.32 callbacks. The ones in red are not to be used, the ones in green are new ones. The list is sorted panel by panel, so that should be useful to this crowd.
Final comment, for those lazy ones of you, my own key file is also included in that package. that's the one I use nowadays in my pit and is features all newest BMS4.0 callbacks. That being said, lots of toggles are left out and views and comms callbacks are kept to a minimum.
Of course this RD-pit.key file can me modified heavily according to your tastes.

5. Fully DX capable stick files.
two layers DX possible, etc etc

6. More analogue axis support
It is now MUCH MUCH better to implement knobs with regular pots instead of rotaries using keystrokes. The response is much more fluid and in some aspects such as the HUD brightness, quite irremplaceable IMHO
The following controls can be mapped to pots
COMM1, COMM2, Threat and Sidewinder, Intercom Volume knob. Please note, all volume pots should be logarithmic
HUD and HMCS brightness
YAW, PITCH & ROLL Manual trims

Some needs ON/OFF buttons at the beginning of the course (CCW) that one is programmed with the ON/OFF callback. the relevant pots are HUD brightness, HMCS brightness;  COMM1 & COMM2

When using pots for those controls, with NO ON/OFF button, the pots will implement their current position in the game. that means that if you quit the game with an Offset yawtrim pot, the yaw trim will still be offset on the next mission: PREFLIGHT ramp checks gents !!

7. Throttle cutoff code
No need for the idle detent anymore. Use the real cutoff point on your pits. Works much better than this stupid keystroke. I think this was already part of OF.

Here's a copy of a BMS article for pitbuilders:
http://www.candyparty.com/ST/Download/Checklists/BMS/Document/bms_cockpitbuilders.pdf
Here's the callback spreadsheet, cockpitbuilder keyfile and documenation and my own stick file for the Cougar.
http://www.candyparty.com/ST/Download/Checklists/BMS/Document/F4_BMS4_RD.zip

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 05:59:13 AM by Red Dog »
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: So what's news in BMS for pit builders?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 03:47:44 AM »
8. Gauges
Some gauges value in the sharedmem have been corrected as they were wrong (busted) in OF
RPM now behaves correctly according to block 50 (GE) or block 52 (PW) engine model
FTIT was corrected
NOZ POS was corrected.

You may need to check your third party reader there for accuracy.
AIC work splendid in that aspect - but that's the only one I checked.

9. volumes level
The volume managment has completely changed, normally, you'd set the volume to the recommended level in the UI.
Flying MP may create some initial problems between Engine volume and IVC and even with AI coms.
In case you need to adjust IVC volume against AI coms, you can map relevant callbacks to any hotas button or use the tiny Backup UHF volume knob with the mouse to adjust one volume against the other.
This control at this time cannot be mapped to an analogue pot

The intercom is a special volume that controls all sounds normally heard in the pilot headset. That's used to balance headset sounds against the others. it is possible to map is to an analogue pot.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:45:04 AM by Red Dog »
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 04:00:06 AM »
Ramp checks now working (but still kind of eye candy)

- Chocks implemented? WARNING, with the new FM, a lightly loaded aircfraft may roll on the taxiway at idle power (this is realistic)
since parking brakes can't be used at ramp, BMS implemnted chocks. Aircraft are chocked at ramp and pilot must remove chocks  though the tower menu (you have to be on a tower freq). It is possible to jump the chocks, so beware in your checks, do not overpower a chocked aircraft. usually, max 85% for SEC and EPU checks.
That's why toebrakes are to be used to complement chocks while performing those checks

- Local pressure (QNH) impelmented as well.
Get the latest QNH from tower menu at ramp. and set your altimeter straight. The callbacks are present to make it from an encoder, BUT the local pressure value is NOT YET in the shared memory. As a consequence, third party shared memory applets will not display the correct QNH (the 3d pit will)

- RAMP start with CANOPY open gents, so close it before engaging JFS

- BACKUP radio works in battery power. You have no VHF backup radio. only UHF selectable through the channel backup UHF panel display.
This works only when the CNI switch (AUX COMM) panel is in BACKUP. When you switch it to UFC, radio controls are done with the UFC COM1 (UHF) & COM2 (VHF) pages

- EPU checks are now fully implemented

- AR door checks are (were) implemented

- Probeheat checks implemented

- Fire & overheat test implemented

- MAL & IND checks are implemnted (beware of the way push button works) you'll need to progra both press and release action there. Momentary won't work, see callback lists

- SEC CHECK fully implemented

- FLCS bit implemented. Mag switch there, takes about 45 seconds. During test RUN light comes ON and flight controls move in sequence (visible through MP) after test the run light goes OFF and switch is released. If test has FAILED, the FAIl light comes ON and the only way to reset it is to redo another FLCS BIT

- Avionics:
TWA & TWP now needs double lights in their casing. double function for some indicators are now implemented (Handoff, priority mode, etc etc)
More info on this later as I reckon, I still have to mod that in my pit.

- Trims ...
asymetric loading (or fuel imbalance) will create trim problems. As such trim management is now much more important than before.
There are two type of trims in the F-16: stick trims (Pitch and roll) implemented as keystrokes or DX and MAN trim better implemented as analogue axis with pots.
It is possible to implement those with the mouse or the keystroke, but the way it is done is a real pain ( left click to start mouvement, right click to stop action or press and release keys. Momentary will not work)
Honestly gents, save yourself the trouble and get pots for those.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:28:50 AM by Red Dog »
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline Falcas

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • http://www.weapondeliveryplanner.nl
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:32:33 AM »
You may need to check your third party reader there for accuracy.
AIC work splendid in that aspect - but that's the only one I checked.

Maybe because AIC was build for BMS  :harhar:  :harhar:  :harhar:

Nice listing you got going RD!!!
Planning to do the relevant stuff for pitbuilding only?
If not, you will be busy writing for a while  :harhar:

Gr Falcas
My site: Weapon Delivery Planner Ver 3.7.11.117
MC Ver 0.5.10.398
WC ver 1.3.0.11
Set HUD only 1.4.0
AIC ver 6.5.7

Splash-Hawk

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:57:40 AM »
Wow, talk about Doggy style !

Amazing job :clap:

Olivier, you wouldn?t happen to have a link to the BMS 4.32 manual (pdf), would you? (yes I know it?s in the BMS/doc folder ;-)

Sure looks like an MFDE modification allowing MFDs extraction and export is gonna be badly needed.

Anyways, a revolution !!!

Thank?s !

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:02:01 AM »
If not, you will be busy writing for a while  :harhar:

Here yes, the rest will be covered on the BMS dash 1 manual I am writing.
So I am pretty busy writing actually  :biggrin:
No need to talk about FM, IDM, TGP, Harm, mavericks, AI, KOTAR etc etc here
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Splash-Hawk

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 06:25:48 AM »
Rgr that !

By the way, is it just me, or do we now have Jet wash turbulences, and ground effect air flow on landings ???
Yes I?ll admit it, my first Jet wash behind Goupil, (French legend in the pit community), led to serious uncontrolled oscillations followed by a black out and death...So yes, I think I?m in paradise !

/Splash

Offline Falcas

• Maj. General
    • http://www.weapondeliveryplanner.nl
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 06:46:21 AM »
If not, you will be busy writing for a while  :harhar:

Here yes, the rest will be covered on the BMS dash 1 manual I am writing.
So I am pretty busy writing actually  :biggrin:
No need to talk about FM, IDM, TGP, Harm, mavericks, AI, KOTAR etc etc here

You are doing great work RD!!!
My site: Weapon Delivery Planner Ver 3.7.11.117
MC Ver 0.5.10.398
WC ver 1.3.0.11
Set HUD only 1.4.0
AIC ver 6.5.7

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:03:14 AM »
The BMS cockpit PDF is a great primer. I hope you can expand on each topic in it more as time allows for you.
It would be great for those hapless among us (me).
You have a gift for explaining in simple terms, the pit vernacular can be intimidating to many not familiar with inner workings of keyfiles, shared mem addresses etc..
Thanks for all the hard work. :vprules:

Offline vito_zm

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 11:57:04 AM »
I try to make my ICP work with RD key file. I found one mistake on page 10 in RD-Pit KEY STROKES --- BMS. Where is SHF-CTL-ALT-A   ICP DRIFCO/NORM but in setup BMS4 is  SHF-CTL-ALT-q. I suppose it's changed with ELEC OFF.
And the other question is on ICP COMM 1 and 2. On page 13 is SHF-KP / AND  SHF-KP * but in setup is SHF / and SHF * without NUM.
Am I right?

Offline MrBones

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • The F-16 Simulator Project
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »
I want to say Thank You to all involved with the BMS project.  Red Dog your work is outstanding and much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 01:01:05 PM »
That's because i do own a azerty keyboard vito
So some keystrokes in my documentation are unfortunately different from the qwerty keyboard

I try to make my ICP work with RD key file. I found one mistake on page 10 in RD-Pit KEY STROKES --- BMS. Where is SHF-CTL-ALT-A   ICP DRIFCO/NORM but in setup BMS4 is  SHF-CTL-ALT-q. I suppose it's changed with ELEC OFF.
And the other question is on ICP COMM 1 and 2. On page 13 is SHF-KP / AND  SHF-KP * but in setup is SHF / and SHF * without NUM.
Am I right?
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline vito_zm

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
Thanks for explanation RD. So, yours key file is important for me at setup of BMS4.

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 02:27:41 PM »
BMS is the ULTIMATE sim for pit-builders now (blah, blah, MSFX, blah, blah, yeah go bomb something in a war).  The features and added callbacks add to the immersion and realism.  If I'm not mistaken even some switches which do not yet function in the sim will toggle states.  It's been a while since I last played with BMS or even my pit for that matter.  It's still in pieces!

Oliver, is the feature for the "blacked-out" cockpit for pit-builders still included?  I can't remember the name of the callback but it makes the interior of the on-screen cockpit disappear.  It was one of the features I loved the most.
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 05:01:22 PM »
Yes Rich, it is enabled. It can be activated with a keystroke
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal