Hello everyone! by Maxx_6dof
[May 20, 2022, 08:07:31 PM]

Help with New MEMBER REGISTRATION by TacticalRealtor
[May 18, 2022, 01:13:08 AM]

The Viper Simmer by Taipan
[May 18, 2022, 12:14:50 AM]

DCStoF4 by Cupra
[May 10, 2022, 03:52:17 PM]

Author Topic: Wayne "Kicker" Boyd  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Armitage

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Wayne "Kicker" Boyd
« on: March 17, 2006, 06:11:15 AM »
Seeing as I have been a member on this forum for 1 1/2 months already I though I had better introduce myself to you all!

My name is Wayne Boyd and I live in a small town near a city called East London in the Eastern Cape region of South Africa. I am 39 years young and I'm married to a lovely woman by the name of Amanda. We live in a thatched stone house on an acre of land that was built around 1865 by the English as an officer's home, and we regularly find artefacts in our garden when we dig holes or re-arrange things.

I work as an IT Professional designing, deploying and administering Microsoft servers and services, and network infrastructure. I am employed on a long-term contract basis by the South African Provincial Government.

My call-sign "Kicker", contrary to what most people seem to think, doesn't come from any delusions I have about being SHoneT-hot at "kicking a$$", but rather from an embarrassing nickname that I was dubbed with many, many years ago that stuck. (It's a long story! :) )

My love for flying began when I was very young. My parents split up when I was about 5 years old and my mother and I moved to another city about 1000 kms away from my father. He has had his private pilot?s license since he was old enough to get it and he used to fly up to fetch me on holidays or pick me up for a joyride when he was in the area on business. I even used to get to pilot on a few occasions with my dad looking nervously at the instruments. :)

My life was planned out from around the age of 10. I was going to be a pilot like my dad, and if I was lucky enough maybe even join the South African air force. My dad had an instructors rating and was prepared to teach me to fly and navigate.

Then life put one of those speed bumps smack bang in front of me. I became an insulin-dependant diabetic at the age of 14 and my dreams of becoming a pilot flapped gently away into the sunset while I stood by watching.

So for many, many years I have been a flight-sim fanatic instead. I have flown all sorts of sims over the years but I have always wanted more. Enter the ?pit concept! :)

I was lucky enough to fly one of the South African Air Force?s Harvard simulators a few years back when the company I was working for had a team-building exercise on a military airfield. Let me tell you, anyone that complains about graphics frills in today?s sims REALLY needs to try that one out! It looks very much like the old arcade game Asteroids did, just with green wire-frame graphics instead of white! :)

I think this forum is a great place for guys with our particular affliction! So far everyone has been very friendly and helpful, and I hope to give back as much as I take from here, if not more.
Wayne
aka Kicker

Offline Armitage

• Maj. General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: Wayne "Kicker" Boyd
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 10:57:08 AM »
Sooooo, I have finally found my way back here after a scant 10 years!  :o

Long story short, divorce, change of life, loss of my left leg above the knee, new lady in my life, etc, and I have found my way back here. But ...  :yeah: :whocares: :go: ;D

I see great changes in the Falcon 4 world have happened in my absence, new versions of BMS available, lots of interesting developments on the sims front, exciting to see! I see a LOT of very familiar names popping up on the recent messages list. Good to see you guys are still here, minus a few that seem to have fallen along the wayside much like I did.  :-[

Really good to see Viper Pits still thriving!
Wayne
aka Kicker

Offline malpaso

• Col.
  • "We are what we do, but we are mainly what We do t
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 11:59:33 AM »
Welcome back!

Offline Snoopy

• Maj. General
  • Flying Snoopy Airways
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 12:48:28 PM »
Though I didn't even know about this forum when you joined, I would still like to send a welcome back message. Impressive life story. Life isn't always fair and nice to us. You did have your share. But you seem to accept what you get in your way. I have deep respect for that!

You live in a beautiful place. Die land is so baie mooi, ek het my hart daar verlies. I am from Holland but I have been to South(ern) Africa many times. So far I spent almost a year in the bush. Hope to be able to visit again when the virus doesn't control our lives anymore.

I wish you all the best and good luck with your simpit!
Make sure your F-16 does get a nice vlamgat!

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • Callsign: Wingnut
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 01:12:35 PM »
Though I didn't even know about this forum when you joined, I would still like to send a welcome back message. Impressive life story. Life isn't always fair and nice to us. You did have your share. But you seem to accept what you get in your way. I have deep respect for that!

+1 Welcome back!

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 01:27:54 PM »
Welcome back @Armitage
You had your share of not-so-nice Life, so I hope the sun is shining again for you.
This hobby offers a lot, not just knowledge. It is also a way to relax from hectic life and keep contact with friends sharing interests  :beer:

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 01:43:27 PM »
Welcome back my friend, good you found VP again, we are still the same nutcakes here, spending all our time and money on this insane GOOD hobby..........its keeping us alive and away from other nasty things in life.

Take care buddy and welcome again.  :beer:

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 03:39:24 PM »
Welcome back into the mix, Kicker... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

Offline Armitage

• Maj. General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 04:59:15 PM »
Thank you all for the friendly welcome back and kind words! Nice to see Viper Pits is just a friendly as it always was.  :beer2:

@Snoopy South Africa has its own problems but it is a beautiful part of the world. Glad you have got to enjoy it!

@Kukki Nice to see someone remembers me from way back. Thanks for the welcome back

Like Alice in Wonderland, lets see how far down this hole goes.  :laugh:
Wayne
aka Kicker

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal