There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Customizing Default Point of View in BMS by Sneakpeek
[April 17, 2024, 11:53:20 PM]

Author Topic: Hello from England  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Mack_F4

• Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
Hello from England
« on: February 21, 2022, 05:44:51 PM »
    Hello,

I have been lurking for a while so my introduction is probably over due. I started playing flight sims as on my Amiga A600 but really got into it in the late 90s playing EF2000, F22 ADF and Falcon 4.0 before real life and other things got in the way. About 8 years ago I stumbled across a Cougar HOTAS on eBay for a very good price including spares and fired up F22 TAW. I also tasted Falcon BMS (and registered on here) but unfortunately my MacBook Air wasn't really up to it.

Fast forward a few years and with much better hardware I have been slowly building a desk setup. The Cougar has a VFS3-WE, I have a PSM ICP, Cougar MFD's with mini monitors behind plus TM TPR pedals. As there no feel quite like hardware I initially plan to make some of the more commonly used panels for desktop use and eventually build into a pit. Also I would love to add the 12 degree twist to the SSC and some gates to the throttle! In parallel with picking up bits of hardware and fiddling the settings I am working through the Falcon BMS tutorial and slowly reading through the manuals.

Thanks for all the great info on here, its a fantastic resource!

John

« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 03:27:44 PM by Mack_F4 »

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Re: Hello from England
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 05:54:25 PM »
Welcome. You've got a good start with the hardware.
Nice monitor also.
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Foghorn

• Col.
  • Old F-16 Guy
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 06:49:02 PM »
Welcome!
FOGHORN

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 07:30:37 PM »
Welcome - nice desktop... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 01:02:18 AM »
Welcome to VP! Nice starter setup. What monitor are you using?

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 11:48:39 AM »
Very nice setup indeed.
And that is sure a very nice monitor screen  :hearteyes:  Telll us more  :whistle:

And you got it right ...  reading  is the perfect start  ;D
Welcome!

Offline Mack_F4

• Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 03:25:02 PM »
Thank you all for the very warm welcome!

The monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G9, I got a hefty discount due to the incoming Neo. Its a beast but difficult to recommend as it was a huge hassle to get running at 240hz along side the 2 x 1024x768 screens. Selecting 240hz would cause my PC to do instant reset that wouldn't even show in the windows logs. Indeed 240hz works only when the monitor is plugged into a specific display port of my GPU. I have experienced many other issues as well, the Hardware Unboxed youtube channel has some good videos. Its mounted on a Ergotron Monitor arm with the heavy duty pivot required as the monitor has a very forward C of G. The arm is fantastically well built but even with a good deal is very expensive. I previously had triple 1080p 27 inch monitors, in retrospect I should have upgraded them to 1440p. The desk is a sit/stand type and electrically adjustable. The photo is slightly out of date, if you look closely you will spot my old Saitek Rudder Pedals!

I guess I better do a build thread at some stage but any questions please feel free to ask.

Very nice setup indeed.
And that is sure a very nice monitor screen  :hearteyes:  Telll us more  :whistle:

And you got it right ...  reading  is the perfect start  ;D
Welcome!

This forum is a great place to start, lurking has been very productive!

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 02:17:16 PM »
Welcome aboard. Love the stick-mounting method!   :thumbsup:

Offline MaVoy

• Captain
  • BMS -> DCS -> DIY
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 05:28:06 PM »
Hi mate!
Sometime, when I have a bad day at work, I'd close all the windows on my PC and gaze on the wallpaper with the Viper going on full AB thru the sky.

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 05:32:43 PM »
Welcome on board :) Enjoy your stay  :countingmoney:  :flipacoin:

Offline Mack_F4

• Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 11:05:40 PM »
Welcome aboard. Love the stick-mounting method!   :thumbsup:

Patent pending  :)

Offline Wolverine

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 02:31:05 AM »
Welcome!!

sorry for my english!!                                                Italian journal of my pit!!

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 05:28:51 AM »
Welcome to VP  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal