• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 30, 2024, 06:49:56 AM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: Turbo newb question goodness on Falcon 4  (Read 2999 times)

walking_target

Turbo newb question goodness on Falcon 4
« on: September 06, 2006, 07:53:23 AM »
OK, I am a complete newbie on this.  I am told that Falcon 4 is the badgers nadgers (or even the muts nuts) and that I shouldn't even consider anything else for F-16 simulation.

The project I am involved with will be using two types of software.  The first will, more than likely, be MSFS 2004 for simulating the Grob Tutor for basic flight training.  I also want to have some sort of combat simulation software based around the F-16 (since we are building an ABC Mk1 it seemed only fair!).

So, newbie questions:

1. Where can I buy Falcon 4 from?

2. Where can I download all of the patches and so-forth (I imagine it has a tonne of them since it is an old piece of kit) to get it up to spec?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

James

Offline Ghost

• General
  • VP Awards Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 08:09:30 AM »
To buy Falcon 4 check out amazon.co.uk, it should be there somewhere. A copy of the original Falcon4 is getting harder to find, but Falcon 4: Allied Force, which is a sort of "remake" of the original is easier to find. If somehow you get the original, then look at http://www.paveway.net/ to download the patches. Just try them out and see which you like best. You have the Superpak series ofwhich 4.2 is the latest and you have the FreeFalcon series ofwhich version 3 is the latest. Use BMS 2.0 with the Superpak patch to get the best results  :D

Falcon has a very long history so if all of te above doesn't make completely sence to you, don't worry. To find out alot about falcon check out this website: www.frugalsworld.com. Espacially the forum where you can find tons of info and posts on falcon 4 and falcon 4: allied force.
Hope this helps a bit! Have fun, good luck!

Danny
Power is useless without control

walking_target

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 08:24:05 AM »
Hi Danny,

Many thanks for your advice; I have found a copy of 4.0 on Amazon.  Found a good few on ebay as well.

I have heard of Allied Force but from what I can establish by reading stuff on here is that it is a bit pants.  Kind of a watered down version of 4.0?  Anyway, I will download all of the stuff and start playing around with it and see how it goes :)

Thanks!

J

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 11:48:29 AM »
Quote from: "walking_target"
I am told that Falcon 4 is the badgers nadgers (or even the muts nuts)

:D I like this guy...

1. Where can I buy Falcon 4 from?

It's not available in stores anymore but can be found on eBay

2. Where can I download all of the patches and so-forth (I imagine it has a tonne of them since it is an old piece of kit) to get it up to spec?

You can find FreeFalcon at www.freefalcon.com

Here is a list of Virtual Fighter Squadrons.  Many have the SP4 downloads available as well as many other goodies.  Grab a coffee and set a bock of time aside before you click the link because you'll be a while :)

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your progress  :beer:
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

walking_target

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 11:55:26 AM »
Hi Flareless,

All recieved and understood :)  I must at admit at this early stage I am somewhat intimidated by the level of skill obvious in the builds that people have completed.  I get the distinct feeling we are at the beginning of a very long and arduous journey! Not only in getting the damn cockpit completed but in learning how to fly the software correctly!

I will put some pics onto the progress report section; please be nice to me as the pit is being constructed by 14 year olds (more in the report section).

Thanks for your information, it is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

James

walking_target

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 06:51:33 PM »
OK guys, my head is hurting considerably.  I have been over on frugals looking for a 'definitive' guide to installing Falcon 4 and all of the associated bits, pieces and gubbins.  Suffice it to say that I am somewhat more than confused.

There are threads here, there and everywhere which explain how to do about a million different types of installs with about a million variables of the million installs.

Could someone pleasepoint me to a thread/pdf/commandment from on high/word doc which you see as the 'best' (whatever the hell that is) method for installing Falcon 4 and its associated wizards, doodars and widgets before:

a. I go slightly insane
b. Throw my PC out of the nearest air release mechanism (window)
c. Say bugger this for a game of soldiers and pick up my copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator in digust

Yours in a huff!

HELP ME PLEASE!
James

ValkyrieOden

Offline idekkers

• General
  • VP Awards Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 01:19:17 AM »

walking_target

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 08:50:36 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for that; I have uninstalled my FF/BMS 2 and done the freefalcon option which seems pretty good.  

Do you know of any decent thrustmaster cougar files for free falcon?

Cheers

James

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal