* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 4
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 30, 2024, 06:49:56 AM]

Author Topic: Microprose bought the Falcon rights back...  (Read 3182 times)

Online mihi4

• General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • https://f16simulator.net
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
Microprose bought the Falcon rights back...
« on: May 09, 2023, 02:14:24 PM »
https://www.player.one/microprose-gets-back-rights-falcon-series-155709

As Jody already confirmed on FB, it looks like they are fully going to support the BMS team.
The future looks bright! :-)
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
https://f16simulator.net

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: Microprose bought the Falcon rights back...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 02:39:39 PM »
https://www.player.one/microprose-gets-back-rights-falcon-series-155709

As Jody already confirmed on FB, it looks like they are fully going to support the BMS team.
The future looks bright! :-)

The future looks bright? Perhaps, but possible also more expensive... :reading:

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 02:46:05 PM »
After checking the link, it seems the package deal they are offering now is not dramatically priced. Really curious were this will bring us in terms of new possibilities.

Offline Romanski

• MSC
  • Administrator
  • General
  • www.31st.nl
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 01:50:11 AM »
What is going to happen is that you will need to buy soon the new version of Falcon setup to install BMS and other Addons. Somebody needs to pay those developers. :whistle:
"...Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die!
Won't you run, live to fly, fly to live, Aces high!"

Offline tiger-31

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 05:12:46 AM »
What is going to happen is that you will need to buy soon the new version of Falcon setup to install BMS and other Addons. Somebody needs to pay those developers. :whistle:

That is a bit what I'm worried about as well. That we have to keep on paying up to continue to use our sims.

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 08:46:29 AM »
This is nothing but speculation and nonsense at this point.  Thus far there have been no intentions on anything other than full support and blessing from MPS to continue the work on BMS.  BMS is the only reason Falcon 4 is worth any value at this point.  It would be years before MPS was able to produce and release any new Falcon 5 (if that is even their goal) and even if they did it would be nothing more than another DCS type sim and nothing like what BMS has to offer.  After all Falcon 4 bankrupted MPS I don't think they have forgotten that and from what I understand they are not the software powerhouse like they were in the 90s.

So at this point even if they somehow re-released Falcon 4.0 with some modification so that we need to have that new version installed to run BMS; who cares..  I have no issue supporting a company that helps to keep the Falcon franchise alive.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Bloodhound161

• Col.
  • Brand new newbie!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 09:17:03 AM »
+1

Offline tiger-31

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 09:55:22 AM »
@Marvin

There is a difference between worry about something and speculation.  :flipacoin:

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 01:41:22 PM »
Is paying for software really a concern for a community of pit builders? $50 or $60 maybe for an F16 sim - we spend more than that on a toggle switch.

:outthewindow:
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline tiger-31

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 01:51:41 PM »
Is paying for software really a concern for a community of pit builders? $50 or $60 maybe for an F16 sim - we spend more than that on a toggle switch.

:outthewindow:

Well I guess most of us at some point bought Falcon 4 (at least I did, also Allied Force). So buying something like decent software is not the issue. What I do not like these days however is that for a lot of software you don't really buy the software, but a subscription. But right now that does not seem to be the case.

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 04:21:27 PM »
We are here at Viperpits... we spend thousands of $ for some optical stuff without any usefumctional use, but for example 50$ for the sim we use for very long times would be too much?  :o Are you kidding?  :reading:

We will see how it goes on in the future.. both sims are great. And both have more than enough points left too get better...

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 06:58:25 PM »
...frankly,  I'm more concerned about the possibility of going commercial turning the franchise from more of a simulation into more of a "game"...very skeptical at this point, even if I can't quantify... :reading: .
- Rufus

Offline Snoopy

• General
  • Flying Snoopy Airways
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2023, 01:37:28 AM »
we spend thousands of $ for some optical stuff without any usefumctional use

Speak for yourself. Not all of us are Swiss bankers.  :countingmoney: :D

Offline Marvin

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 11:58:21 PM »
@Marvin

There is a difference between worry about something and speculation.  :flipacoin:

Not really when all your worries are speculation.   :-P
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline gbracer08

• 1st.LT
  • It begins......
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2023, 02:46:46 PM »
Most software isn't 1 time costs anymore, it will be a subscription says my speculation tin foil hat.

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2023, 11:03:32 PM »
An if it does who cares???  I pay subscriptions monthly for Netflix, Youtube, and many other apps on my phone.  None of these that are as important as my sim flying hobby.  Its the cost of enjoyment.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Offline tiger-31

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2023, 11:24:14 PM »
An if it does who cares???  I pay subscriptions monthly for Netflix, Youtube, and many other apps on my phone.  None of these that are as important as my sim flying hobby.  Its the cost of enjoyment.

I do care!

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Lightning's Tools GitHub repository
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2023, 12:09:42 PM »
My original investment in Falcon 4 out of the schlock bin in 1998: $8. When GOG released the Falcon bundle, I laid out another whopping $7 for it, because the GOG installer actually worked on modern Windows, and the original installer didn't.  Total investment cumulative of the original purchase and GOG purchase: $15.  Number of years of enjoyment of Falcon 4: 25 years. I'm fine with my $0.60/year investment so far.  No Swiss bankers were harmed in the financing.

Offline Snoopy

• General
  • Flying Snoopy Airways
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2023, 12:36:50 PM »
No Swiss bankers were harmed in the financing.
:harhar: :harhar:
They are too busy anyway hiding the money for the dictators of this world .....  :countingmoney:

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2023, 01:52:21 PM »

I do care!

Sucks to be you!  Lol.  Either way again this is just pointless speculation at this point and worrying doesn’t do anyone any good.  RELAX!!!!
" Where's the KABOOM! "

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal