• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

I am a newbie who took off from Japan sir by Atlas
[May 16, 2024, 12:43:47 PM]

Mag switches with DCS by questerymj
[May 11, 2024, 08:11:05 AM]

USAeroSim DCS F16c CDU Software by snakedoc
[May 10, 2024, 09:10:22 AM]

Author Topic: Radar ANT ELEV Wheel operation  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Radar ANT ELEV Wheel operation
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:22:14 PM »
Ok...this should be a trivial question but I can't find any real supporting documentation anywhere - which way does the ANT ELEV wheel move in the real airplane to move the antenna up/down?

What I've been using is roll forward->down, and roll aft->up; corresponding to stick movement, but that just doesn't seem natural and I always end up initially moving the antenna in the wrong direction...should it actually be aft->down and forward->up; corresponding to range and not "elevation"?  That seems more natural...for me, anyway.  Which way is reality?
- Rufus

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: Radar ANT ELEV Wheel operation
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:33:28 AM »
If you turn the Ant ele back with your thumb then the radar goes up

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »
Ok...that's the way I've been doing it.  Just seems unnatural when looking at the display - pushing the wheel forward to make the elevation maker move up - i.e., away from you - on the scale is far more intuitive, to me...given the way your hand rests on the grip.

But this is why we train...thanks for the info.
- Rufus

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
Look at it this here way.

your pull your stick back and the nose picth up
you move the ant elv back and the radar plate in the nose goes up, so now you have a logic way to see it and then you will find it more logic.

Hope it helps

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 08:38:07 PM »
Yes that's exactly how I guessed it initially (works like the stick), but because my thumb rest on top of the wheel instead of in front of it it can get confusing.  If you're looking at the display and you want the elevation tick mark to move up the display - away from you - you naturally want to roll the wheel away from you.  Vise versa for moving it down.  This is why I figured I'd better ask...I want to do it the way it's done.

In other trainers I've flown the EL wheel has always been on the front of the grip under the index finger, so wheel up/down corresponds directly to display/antenna up/down - pull up/push down.  As the wheel goes it's the same motion, but because of where your finger is on the wheel it can alter your perception.

BTW - I've also noted after it was pointed out that the AOA bracket in the F-16 HUD is displayed backwards from the indexer...in a Navy HUD the top light on when the FPM is at at top of bracket, and the bottom light is on with the FPM at bottom of bracket.  Really impacts technique for capturing on-speed between the two, but workable.  F-16 presentation weights throttle handling, Navy presentation weights nose handling...which makes sense, given that attitude is more critical for catching the wire, now that I think harder about it.
- Rufus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal