Marvin's 2nd Cockpit Project (HAF Block 52+ PXIII) by Rufus
[June 02, 2018, 05:58:31 PM]

MailMan Selling Part of Pit because of room constraints by Sparrow 23
[June 02, 2018, 01:44:14 AM]

mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by mcfrag0815
[June 01, 2018, 05:50:50 PM]

Salaxi54's pit progress by mike-simulation
[June 01, 2018, 06:42:16 AM]

Author Topic: Thunder's Trainer  (Read 116132 times)

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
Re: Thunder's Trainer
« Reply #270 on: March 11, 2018, 12:25:29 PM »
Yep, a good 3D printer is on my Tools "Wish List".  For now, I do have access to some $3000 Polyprinter 229 3D printers at Dallas Maker Space.  (They have about 6 of these due to high demand for them.)

DMS is about a 15 min drive from my house but I'd love to have one here at home.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: March 11, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »
...I gotta get outta the desert... :brickwall: .
- Rufus

Offline Thunder

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • callsign[KTF]
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: March 11, 2018, 06:18:20 PM »
A little progress over the weekend- I started populating the panel base plates with switches from my collection.

Offline Thunder

• Maj. General
    • callsign[KTF]
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: March 15, 2018, 10:14:30 PM »
With all the irons in the fire it takes to keep this thing moving forward it's no wonder the real ones take hundreds of assemblers and a constant flow of cash...

But I have a Frankenstein throttle! The arm assembly came from a trainer and the throttle is a Cougar. I still need to install the "pinky trigger" mechanism but the spring is giving me trouble so if anyone has any tips on how to install those I'd appreciate it.

I know I'm not the first guy to do this- but it seems like all the other photo tutorials were hosted by photobucket and now useless. So if anyone has links to how this solution is best implemented I'm all ears. Some of my pressing questions:

1. Is there any way to route this directly to the PC without connecting to the Cougar SSC? (I'm using the Warthog stick)
2. What's the best way to route the cable around the pivot point so it doesn't fatigue? (my pictures show the cables hanging loose, but I'll route it through the arm like a real one) I'm thinking straight down between the arm and the baseplate and mounting the PCB vertically below the baseplate somehow.
3. The 90* Hall effect rotary sensor seems like a logical upgrade. Is the Honeywell HRS100SWAB090 still the best option for this?

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: March 15, 2018, 11:19:50 PM »
Realsimulator sells a TUSBA for cheap that will put your TQS direct into the computer.  Arend sells a similar device as well, however he is on a beak period so RS is your best option.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: March 16, 2018, 08:29:36 PM »
I have the TUSBA R2 and have also modded a Cougar TQS using a Bodner board for direct USB connect.  Personally, I think the move from 10 bit to 12 bit resolution is just as good as any Hall pot upgrade, and the two in combination...well...I can only speculate.  But I'm not in a hurry to do Hall mods on either of my TQSs.

I'm going to be in similar sitch as you, and was planning to route my cable down the hollow of the throttle arm - but also considering that I'll be needing to make a cable extension, I was thinking I may need to either:

1) ditch the ribbon cable for individual wires and shrink wrap.

or...

2) shrink wrap the ribbon to for a round cable.
...which in any event is going to make for the third TQS that I've modded... :DOH: .  But I think both of the forgoing are variations on how the real thing is cabled up.
- Rufus

Offline Thunder

• Maj. General
    • callsign[KTF]
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: March 17, 2018, 08:47:12 AM »
That's great feedback- thank you both. I'll check out the TUBSA option.

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: March 17, 2018, 03:42:25 PM »
I have 2 of the TUSBA's and they work great. :countingmoney:
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-keys, Mike's panels, Ribbstick

Offline Hero

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: March 17, 2018, 03:52:30 PM »
Remember two extra cables for the lamp on the throttle arm.
Hero
872nd Fighter Squadron Scandinavia
87th Stray Dogs VFW

Offline Thunder

• Maj. General
    • callsign[KTF]
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: March 17, 2018, 09:17:17 PM »
TUBSA on order...

@Hero good call- that would be something I'd forget to do.

Offline Thunder

• Maj. General
    • callsign[KTF]
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: March 28, 2018, 10:07:33 PM »
So a constant problem I've had with my setup is not being able to run all 4 monitors at the same time (out the window display, L and R MFD, and CPD). But I think I've solved the problem!

After trying all the connectors on my video card, USB 3.0 to video adapters- nothing worked. I could run 3 displays, but never 4 even though when I purchased the card it said 4 were supported. "Customer Service" was utterly useless and I couldn't find a solution to the problem online until today.

The magic is in the displayport connection. It is designed to run and optimize multiple separate displays from the same port (i.e. you can run 4 displays from one port with a splitter). So even though a graphics card has 4 or 5 different connections (HDMI, DVI, DP, etc...), the best multi-monitor support you need a displayport connection or two. (This link was helpful in explaining it in more detail: http://blog.exxactcorp.com/hdmi-2-0-vs-displayport-1-4-one-choose/

So I think I'll grab a new graphics card that has more than 1GB of memory and more displayport options.

I kinda feel like an idiot for not figuring this out earlier, but hopefully this helps someone.

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: March 28, 2018, 10:59:11 PM »
By all means, please keep us up to date on the details of how you wire your monitors with a single DisplayPort 1.4 output from a new Graphics card.  I'm particularly interested as to how you drive VGA monitors off of that. 

Currently I have two 1GB graphics cards; each with 1-HDMI, 1-DVI-D and 2 miniDP's.  I use adapters to go from a miniDP to VGA or to HDMI. My MFD's have HDMI, DVI-D and VGA ability and I use HDMI connections via  miniDP to HDMI adapters for the MFD's.  The CPD is a VGA monitor and it too is driven via a miniDP to VGA adapter.  The outside visuals is (currently) a single HD monitor via another miniDP to HDMI adapter.

One of my biggest problems is getting (and keeping) the main boot-up display to be the big outside visuals monitor.  It seems like there are times when I start things up that Windows scrambles the display numbers and makes a mess of things.  It also seems like there is a priority as to which ports on which graphics card are the two boot-up displays.  Apparently the miniDP's have priority over the HDMI and DVI-D ports.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: March 29, 2018, 01:51:58 AM »
So a constant problem I've had with my setup is not being able to run all 4 monitors at the same time (out the window display, L and R MFD, and CPD). But I think I've solved the problem!

After trying all the connectors on my video card, USB 3.0 to video adapters- nothing worked. I could run 3 displays, but never 4 even though when I purchased the card it said 4 were supported. "Customer Service" was utterly useless and I couldn't find a solution to the problem online until today.

The magic is in the displayport connection. It is designed to run and optimize multiple separate displays from the same port (i.e. you can run 4 displays from one port with a splitter). So even though a graphics card has 4 or 5 different connections (HDMI, DVI, DP, etc...), the best multi-monitor support you need a displayport connection or two. (This link was helpful in explaining it in more detail: http://blog.exxactcorp.com/hdmi-2-0-vs-displayport-1-4-one-choose/

So I think I'll grab a new graphics card that has more than 1GB of memory and more displayport options.

I kinda feel like an idiot for not figuring this out earlier, but hopefully this helps someone.

You may already know this. If you do then disregard. I have a Sapphire R9 390X, which is an 8Gb VGA . It has 5 display ports. I have all 5 running. One of the ports goes to my TH2Go that is running the 2 center ped LCD's and one MFD. My solution is to use "active" adapters on all display ports. I could not get all of  the monitors working without them.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-keys, Mike's panels, Ribbstick

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: March 29, 2018, 09:20:38 AM »
My experience with this:

- Windows always stupidly boots on the older connector. Often that's the DVI, eventhough you may have HDMI and DP connected
I never found a workaround away from that except NOT to use the DVI. once you're in windows, main screen switches to your set configuration.
I had the boot screen in the cockpits for ages when i was on my older GPU. Now i fixed this issue with not using the DVI at all. it was so with win 7 and 10 no matter what.

- Never use HDMI, even if you can make them work, they are too limited in refreshrate to be useful in anyway. beside HDMI flexibility is a pain

- concentrate on DP only and exlusively - if your GPU allow it -  and even if you don't have enough of them, use DP hubs. With these you can easily connect 3 VGA screen though 3 DP to vga converter  with 2 DP you can then drive up to 6 screens

- My current configuration is the following
a single 1080 nvidia GPU with 3 DP and 1 HDMI & 1 DVI-D

HDMI not connected
DVI-D not connected
3 DP connected.
1st DP is my main screen which is a 3440x1440 34''
2nd DP go through a DP hub and three passive DP to VGA for the CP screen : 10.4" 800x600 - 2 MFDs screens 8" 640x480.
3rd DP go through a DP hub with 2 passive DP to VGA for the HSI and RWR which are LCDavionics 3.5" 640x480 (one of them is currently U.S.)

the DP hubs

the DP to VGA

The DP ubs need power, that's a great thing because by having them on a separate switch I can have a sigle screen config for office work and when i want to fly i just switch the hub master power on and the screen pop active and windows reset the screen config for the cockpit.
Doesn't always works 100% and sometimes need a reboot but it's convenient enough

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: March 29, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »
Hmmm.  I think I'm way overdue for a Graphics card update so I can move to DP's (not miniDP's) and DP Hubs.  Guess that means I'll need a new set of DP to VGA adapters.
Beau "Willy" Williamson