DTU (Data Transfer Unit) and DTC (Data Transfer Cartridge) by JJ
[October 29, 2014, 10:16:42 AM]

PSCOCKPIT SYSTEM 3rd RUN! by Skorp
[October 29, 2014, 10:14:31 AM]

Thunder's Trainer by Thunder
[October 28, 2014, 03:34:13 PM]

John's F16 pit progress by heines
[October 28, 2014, 01:17:05 PM]

Author Topic: Multiple Monitors with Falcon 4.0  (Read 19365 times)

Offline bnepethomas

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
Re: Multiple Monitors with Falcon 4.0
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 06:59:31 AM »
FWIW - Think the limitation is a Dx7? thing, perhaps an OF or FF can make that challenge go away?

Offline natco

• Col.
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 12:49:25 PM »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:51:36 PM by natco »
The Torture never stops

Offline Crease-Guard

• Administrator
  • General
    • Flight Systems Ltd
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2007, 06:19:51 AM »
How exciting...I can take off with 8 screens then put it on autopilot, go to bed and sleep.  Then wake up in the morning and land.

My god, how can they stand the exhileration of such a flying experience?  Maybe they go on real flights in the hope that all the pilots suddenly contract the ebola virus rendering them immediately unconscious and unable to fly so their big chance to pilot the big giant airplane to saftey and be the hero.

Jay

Offline maestro209

• Brig.General
    • The World Famous Deltahawks
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2007, 08:41:44 PM »
How exciting...I can take off with 8 screens then put it on autopilot, go to bed and sleep.  Then wake up in the morning and land.

My god, how can they stand the exhileration of such a flying experience?  Maybe they go on real flights in the hope that all the pilots suddenly contract the ebola virus rendering them immediately unconscious and unable to fly so their big chance to pilot the big giant airplane to saftey and be the hero.

Jay

Ahh ... The sweet smell of sarcasm.

Even I as a licensed pilot prefer Falcon to MS flight sim, however if I'm learning a new technique, approach, or airport I find flight sim a useful tool. I do know airline pilots who use their simulator to practice random failures prior to taking their quartly checks. All of this is way cheaper then doing it in real life.

>Maestro
gt;Maestro209

Go, Go, Gadget hot glue gun!

Offline Crease-Guard

• Administrator
  • General
    • Flight Systems Ltd
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2007, 02:25:45 AM »
Now THAT would be worth the setup to practice failures and emergency landings and all that stuff there.  But most of these guys just fly from one place to another.  GOD would that be coma inducing.

Jay

Marvin

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2007, 02:11:31 AM »
Yeah I have to agree with Maestro on this one.   For some reason or another when I fly FSX I always feel like I am doing more realistic flying and procedures..  So it definitely has its perks.

Jody

Jay

Ahh ... The sweet smell of sarcasm.

Even I as a licensed pilot prefer Falcon to MS flight sim, however if I'm learning a new technique, approach, or airport I find flight sim a useful tool. I do know airline pilots who use their simulator to practice random failures prior to taking their quartly checks. All of this is way cheaper then doing it in real life.

>Maestro

Offline bismond

• General
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2007, 03:25:16 PM »
Ya FS cant compare to falcon in many ways but it does have some good points. Flying that dream1.dream departure out of Nellis on Vatsim can be a pain but you get a lot of practice with the ATC lingo and following departure plates plus a lot of civilian and military traffic mixed togeather with McLaren being so close.
Faq1:embedded programs must NEVER return from main()
Faq2:99.9% of UART errors are AVRs not being clocked right
Faq3: If PORTC bits don't seem to work JTAG
probably needs disabling.
Faq4:If using avr-gcc avoid -OO optimisation settings at all costs.

Bananas and Blow.
Fat Squaw Sweat Lodge

Offline BHawthorne

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Col.
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »
Just to revisit this topic, I have successfully used a hex editor to get 2048x768 functional in Falcon 4 Allied Force 1.0.13.

The hex editing is a bit weird. The hex codes are put in backwards.

First get what your hexidecimal code is for your resolution. I used the following converter on the web: http://www.statman.info/conversions/hexadecimal.html

I want to set my resolution as 2048x768 because 2048 is the maximum pixel width allowed by a DirectX 7 application.

2048 = 08 00 in hex
768 = 03 00 in hex

Now that you know the resolution in hex, we now need a hex editor. I used xvi32 from here: http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm#download

Open your display.dsp file in the hex editor. It is located in "Lead Persuit/Battlefield Operations/config". It should show you a single row of hex in the editor. Only the first 4 two-number boxes are the ones we'll worry about.

This is where things get a bit confusing. They transpose the hex in the display.dsp file for some silly reason. The first 2 two-number boxes are for the resolution width (2048). One would think you'd put in 08 00, but the dsp file wants it as 00 08 for some weird reason. Next we'll do the resolution height (768). This gets put in as 00 03. I have not a single clue why they transpose the numbers like that, but whatever works...

This should allow you to use EyeFinity 2-display or TH2G/DH2G two-display to do multi-screen to the maximum resolution allowed by F4:AF. Hope this is useful to some that still play this game because I know there are a lot of you still out there that do in the sim building hobby.

I might film a bit of it working on two projectors later in the week when I get time (hopefully). I have used this with success on my rig with LCDs though.

For those that wonder what sort of setup I used. I used my GTX470 system with a Matrox DH2G box and two of my three Optoma EX525ST projectors with NTHUSIM Plus. This would work also with three projectors at 1920x480 but 480 pixel height would probably look really ugly at 60" projection height so I kept it to just 2 projectors with 768 pixel height.

YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgI18A54yoo
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:08:55 PM by BHawthorne »
F-84F Simulator Project
www.f-84f.org

Offline Muddog

• Col.
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »
cool!
 Will it work with open falcon along with mfde?

Offline Dunk

• Dunk
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • AVIATION SIMULATION GROUP
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 12:21:47 AM »
This is a company that I talked with at I/ITSEC They had some good Ideas about outputting video to mulipal Monitors.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to stop  by our booth at the IITSEC show and to speaking with me just now.  I wanted to send you my info to see if there is any current projects I can support you with.  Please let me know if I can help provide any quotes or product info.  If you can provide more detailed info on the type of displays, how many, and other spec requirments I can provide a proposal with my solutions.  Thanks and enjoy the weekend!

We are a major distrubutor of professional and desktop class video graphic cards and HPC system integrator.  If you don?t remember we were showing a single host system which can support 24 displays as well as GPU computing platforms.  Below is some images of our booth for your reference.

Exxact Corporation would like to thank everyone that visited our booth at this year's I/ITSEC. Our booth highlights contained:

24 monitors video wall running from a workstation powered by ATI FirePro? V9800 by AMD?

GPU computing solutions powered by NVIDIA? Tesla?

Value-added Distribution

Exxact is a leading distributor of professional graphics hardware by AMD and NVIDIA. We are the #1 distributor in North America for ATI FirePro. We are also a value-added distributor meaning highly competitive pricing and prompt customer service.

Custom GPU Computing and Visualization Solutions

Exxact also provides custom solutions in the areas of GPU Computing and Visualization

Best Regards,

Michael Chen

Exxact Corporation
Professional Graphics and Solutions
www.exxactcorp.com

Office 510-226-7366 x204

Cell:    510-857-7708
AIM: Mchen@exxactcorp.com
MSN: Mchen@exxactcorp.com

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:45:00 AM by Kneeling Warrior »
I love the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the Ferrari F1 of fighter jets.

I love the Viper - a perfect melding of man and machine. 
~Dan Hampton~

http://aviationsimulationgroup.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx

Offline BHawthorne

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Col.
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 12:34:04 AM »
Anything over 3 landscape or 5 portrait displays is largely useless. It's better to just do away with all LCD bezels and just use projectors like I do.

More on topic of Falcon, I'll try it on Open Falcon later and see if it works. My assumption is if it works on F4AF that it'll work on the other versions that are based on it. The main issue is it's all DX7 based. That limits you to 2048 pixel width on resolutions maximum. I'd prefer running things at 3840x1024 or 5760x1080, but the game will CTD because of the DX7 dependencies.

The reason why I got this working is I need to retrofit a F-16 egress simulator with a pc, stick and throttle for an upcoming event I'm helping with. It will use F4AF and network with multiple sims. Since I specialize in circular projection, I wanted to use at least two projectors in the setup.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:41:41 AM by BHawthorne »
F-84F Simulator Project
www.f-84f.org

Offline Dunk

• Dunk
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • AVIATION SIMULATION GROUP
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 12:49:23 AM »
Well Maybe these folks can be of some help to somebody here at the VP.

All of their info is there if you would like to talk to these guys.
I love the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the Ferrari F1 of fighter jets.

I love the Viper - a perfect melding of man and machine. 
~Dan Hampton~

http://aviationsimulationgroup.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx

Offline Taipan

• General
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 12:58:41 AM »
The reason why I got this working is I need to retrofit a F-16 egress simulator with a pc, stick and throttle for an upcoming event I'm helping with. It will use F4AF and network with multiple sims.
please post pics of this one !!!

Incidentally, I love your curved screen setup on the nthusim site !!
"If the heat don't get you........"

Offline BHawthorne

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Col.
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2010, 08:53:53 PM »
The reason why I got this working is I need to retrofit a F-16 egress simulator with a pc, stick and throttle for an upcoming event I'm helping with. It will use F4AF and network with multiple sims.
please post pics of this one !!!

Incidentally, I love your curved screen setup on the nthusim site !!

Will snap a few pics of the F-16 sim in the next few days. It's still on static display at KAM and needs to be retrofit with a pc throttle and stick. As it needs to be reverted back after use I probably won't retrofit rudder pedals.

I did a bit of hackery on F4AF and NVIDIA Surround but I have it running on triple projector 2046x768. Yes....that is quite an odd and non-standard resolution, especially on three displays, but I came to that resolution as the maximum for F4AF 2046 (2048/3=approx 682) pixel width and my projectors native 768 pixel height.

YouTube 720p video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqDQ0F8eTKI
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:09:30 PM by BHawthorne »
F-84F Simulator Project
www.f-84f.org

Offline Taipan

• General
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2010, 09:09:21 PM »
Awesome stuff - love it. Well done

I think i have tested 2 lcd screens operating at 1024x768 ok, and have been planning on 2 projectors to do likewise. Hopefully 2 x high brightness, short throw projectors at around 1024x768 won't be too expensive.

Just so that I'm clear, are you saying you ran 3 projectors at 682 x 768 ? Very interesting... Does nthusim setup that res or do you need to use something like pwoerstrip ?

t
"If the heat don't get you........"