Faan's pit by Focaldesign
[May 17, 2018, 07:19:48 AM]

Pence's Pit by Wolverine
[May 15, 2018, 10:37:05 AM]

ACES II - KNEEGUARDS by Marvin
[May 14, 2018, 02:34:23 PM]

FULL ALUMINIUM HUDBLOCK by Rufus
[May 13, 2018, 12:35:07 PM]

Author Topic: Willy's Pit  (Read 235059 times)

Offline Moon

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: Willy's Pit
« Reply #645 on: May 15, 2018, 08:30:02 AM »
A small form factor PC can run BMS pretty well.  Here's my cheap test build with a 1050TI:
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=11098.msg164129#msg164129

Offline Noluck18

• Major
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #646 on: May 15, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »
Get to the show with what you have. A harness rebuild would be a PITA for now. At least your using shielded cable on what counts AI's and AO's. Don't forget, only ground/terminate the shield(s) at the signal source and leave the other shield end open/un-terminated, or ground loops and noise you will have.

Chip
---

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #647 on: May 15, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »
Actually, the original Joystick, Rudder, Toe-brake wire harness isn't shielded cable.  Just another reason to rebuild it.  (I didn't have any shielded wire and I was in a rush the last time to make it to Cockpit Fest so I used what I had.)
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #648 on: May 16, 2018, 02:09:08 AM »
Actually, the original Joystick, Rudder, Toe-brake wire harness isn't shielded cable.  Just another reason to rebuild it.  (I didn't have any shielded wire and I was in a rush the last time to make it to Cockpit Fest so I used what I had.)

And look at us now. In a rush to build for Flight Sim Conn... :DOH:
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-keys, Mike's panels, Ribbstick

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #649 on: May 16, 2018, 02:19:35 AM »
There are SFF (Small Form Factor) PeeCees out there (HP for example), but I do not know whether those PCs are suitable (have enough oumpfff) to run BMS with a few screens. And possibly the graphics card of you choosing is not available in the low height for an SFF housing.
But having everything *inside* the cockpit construction is very nice. A "boil" at the outside at the back does the great shape not much good  :whistle:

I always planned to have the PC outside the pit  :DOH:  I now regret that decision, especially now that I also have crazy plans to build a 3 DoF platform  :brickwall:

I am not sure of the size you need for a tower. So far the one that I have now is perfect, which is this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Rackmount-Computer-Pre-Installed-RSV-L4000/dp/B0056OUTBK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526451152&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=rosewill+case&psc=1

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z170X motherboard, Intel I-7 CPU, Sapphire R390X GPU, and a Liquid CPU radiator cooler mounted inside, besides the 7 fans that the rack comes with.  :outthewindow: :outthewindow:

My build thread

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • Awards
« Reply #650 on: May 16, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »

Wow.  How did we get ourselves into this position (again).  Sigh.  Oh, well.  If our pits have to be static, non-flyable displays then so be it but I'm hoping I'll have something going even if I have to just lay the old distribution panels in the insides on the floor to make it all work.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #651 on: May 16, 2018, 05:19:57 PM »

Wow.  How did we get ourselves into this position (again).  Sigh.  Oh, well.  If our pits have to be static, non-flyable displays then so be it but I'm hoping I'll have something going even if I have to just lay the old distribution panels in the insides on the floor to make it all work.

We have about 1 month left. I have my Pokeys for the left console mounted in a box already. I was going to make a shelf for it to sit on inside the console, but for now it is just going to sit on the floor. There is going to be a lot of hidden stuff that is going to be messy.... :whistle:

My build thread

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #652 on: May 16, 2018, 06:21:07 PM »
I actually have less than that.  First week of June I'll be in Holland visiting the EU Pit builders at the FF meeting.  The week after that, I'm speaking at a convention in Orlando and will be there all week.  That gives me one additional week after the Orlando trip to finish up details.  I may wind up in the same boat  as you with stuff that is going to be messy but out of sight.

Speaking of messy, I just shot Epoxy Primer on the Avionics Bay shelves.  Total F'd up one of them with horrible runs and sags.  Started out as a small sag and the more I tried to fix it the worse it got. 

Reminder to Beau:  When you find yourself in the bottom of a hole, STOP DIGGING! 
 :digger:

Tomorrow I'll see if I can just sand down the sag/run without going all the way to the metal in spots.  If I can't just sand out the "nasty bit" I'll have to re-shoot/touch-up the shelf with more primer.    More time lost.  (Yes, I could just let it go but I'd like to finish the shelves with their Rack Rails so I have the option of installing more electronics in them.

Speaking of Pokeys, I now have nine P8relay boards that I will be using to control all indicators, mag-switches and Dim/Brt controls.  It looks like I need five on the Right side (the Caution Panel takes up nearly 32 then you need about 8 for the R. Warning Light cluster and 3 for the NWS Indexer) and six on the Left side.  I'll order the last two boards when I get closer to finishing all the wiring for the Left Side.  I have a ways to go before I get there.

BTW, one set of Po8Relay boards will be driven by one Pokeys on the Right and the other set by a Pokeys on the Left side.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #653 on: May 18, 2018, 05:59:55 PM »
Finished shooting the Epoxy Primer on the Avionics Bay Shelves.

2018-05-18_16-39-29.jpgWilly's Pit

Once that was done, I installed them in the Avionics Bay.  That was accomplished by Flush Riveting the front support angle piece to the front bulkhead.  Then I just screwed the shelf to that support pieces and the ledge in the aft part of the bay.  Here you can see the Right Avionics Bay Shelf.

2018-05-18_16-40-13.jpgWilly's Pit

I also modified my Rack Rails so that there was no tilt to them and then I installed them to the shelves.  Here you see the Rack Rails in the Right Avionics bay.

2018-05-18_16-41-15.jpgWilly's Pit

Once the rails were secured on the shelves, I installed the ATA-101 shelf in the rack with a 12 outlet (6 Front, 6 Back) AC Power Strip in the bottom "U".  The ATA-101's will plug into the back of the Power Strip.  Here's the result.

2018-05-18_16-43-26.jpgWilly's Pit

2018-05-18_16-44-18.jpgWilly's Pit

By removing the tilt in the Rack Rails and making them sit vertical, the clearance between the AC plugs in the back of the ATA-101's and the Power Supply shelf is greatly improved as you can see below.

2018-05-18_16-44-51.jpgWilly's Pit

Of course Murphy had to come to visit.  I think the installation of the Rack Rails in the Left Avionics Bay is just a tad too far forward for me to install a 4U PC Server case in the Rails.  If you look at the picture below, the 4U Server Case may touch some of the terminals on the Circuit Breaker panel depending on its width.  (Look down the line of the Rack Rail mount to see what I'm talking about.)

2018-05-18_16-45-53.jpgWilly's Pit

When I get to the point of trying to mount the 4U server case in the Left Avionics Bay, I may have to redrill the holes where the Rack Rails are mounted so I can move them further aft to avoid any chance of touching the CB's.  That all depends on the actual width of the 4U server box.  Since that is an exercise for the future (not for the FlightSimCon Convention), I'll tackle that down the road.  Who knows, it might just fit as is.  Can't tell because I don't have the 4U Server Case yet.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline Noluck18

• Major
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #654 on: May 19, 2018, 12:46:24 PM »
Looks good Willy  :thumbsup:, keep up the good work. Sure wish I had the time and money to start my own sim.

Chip
---

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #655 on: May 19, 2018, 03:18:30 PM »
If the 4U server case JUST fits, you could put a 1 mm pertinax (Pressed paper) circuit board (without copper) or epoxy-fiber board as insulation against the server unit. But that can only be done if there are no ventilation oles at that side. Indeed, something to worry about when the 4U server unit "pops up". But it is good to know, because maybe you have a choice between several 4U server units and then the size / ventilation / mounting issues become important in the selection "procedure"  ;D
But so far this is looking damn professional @Willy   :thumbsup:
Looking forward to meet you in 13 days (and counting)!

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #656 on: May 26, 2018, 12:21:33 AM »
Guys,

Here’s the unwired LG Panel that I bought about a year ago.  It appeared to be in great shape, just not wired.
2018-05-25_23-08-54.jpgWilly's Pit

2018-05-25_23-09-19.jpgWilly's Pit

Yesterday I wired it up to a 41Pin connector.  (Why 41 Pin?  Because that is what I had and it fit the #20 Shell hole.  Plus, I think that is what the real units use.)  Here’s the end result.
2018-05-25_23-09-40.jpgWilly's Pit

2018-05-25_23-11-01.jpgWilly's Pit

The two extra wires will receive a 2-Pin molex connector which will connect to the fake EMERG JETT Button I already have mounted to the L. Aux Panel.

Not the best cable lacing job but it will do for a simulator.
2018-05-25_23-11-54.jpgWilly's Pit

And now here it is with the Light Plate attached.  Looks pretty darn good to me! 
2018-05-25_23-11-25.jpgWilly's Pit

It turned out that one of the Landing Gear Light Lenses did not have the “DOT” legend in it.  Instead it had “ENABL” as the legend.  I temporarily swapped that Lens with the one on the JET_START Panel which does have the “DOT” legend.  That will suffice for FlightSimCon (because I won’t have the JET_START panel wired by then) until I can locate the correct one.

I also didn’t notice that the STORES CONFIG Switch was not the correct switch at the time I purchased the panel.  What was in the panel was a ON-OFF-ON instead of an ON-ON switch.  I swapped it with the ON-ON switch from my old LG panel and moved (temporarily) the ON-OFF-ON switch to the old LG panel which I will probably use in my Desktop pit at some point.

I should learn to not pay the full amount until everything is in hand and fully tested.

Yesterday, while I worked on wiring the LG Panel, a Ham Radio buddy came over to help do some wiring so MAYBE I’d have a chance to have the pit up and working in time for FlightSimCon.  Here’s the Left Relay Assembly (patterned after String’s design) that he built up for me and then I touched up tonight.   (He’s still learning about cable lacing so I had to redo some and add some others.)
2018-05-25_23-12-51.jpgWilly's Pit

The L. and R. Relay Assemblies (the one above is a partial L. Relay Panel) are built on 3U blank rack panels that will be installed in the L. and R. Rack Rails in the Avionics bay I’ve shown you in previous emails.  The cable you see in the picture above will be terminated on that 57 Pin TE-AMP plug (the plug is the one on the left) which will twist-and-mate with the 57P Bulkhead mount receptacle (part on the right).  Power is brought in via another TE-AMP 4 Pin bulkhead connector.  It will have +24VDC, +12VDC, 5VAC (400Hz from Lighting Control System) and Gnd.  Now that I’m converting over to Relays and moving away from AIC electronics, my need for 12VDC is rapidly going away.  DAMN.  I didn’t think to order the 24V version of the Po8Relay boards!!!  That would have saved me from running 12VDC to this panel. 

Finally, the PoExtBus connection will plug into the top Po8Relay board (the white 5 pin connector you see in the picture on the top board).  My AUDIO1 panel has a Pokeys 57U installed in it and it will drive the PoExtBus for the L. Relay Panel.  When I get the R. Relay Panel built up, it will be driven from the Pokeys57U installed in my HUD panel.

Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #657 on: May 26, 2018, 02:46:05 AM »
Willy
Be carefull with those real switches with on on
My electronics cant work with on on switches it has to move state
Like off on those state i can program
I cant program an on on switch because its not moving state
In the real jet that switch is turning on part of a system and then the rest, and that make sense in the real jet, but not in our simulator sw. If you can say that, but in the simulator we have a swicth callback for every state and need to be programmed.
I hope you understand what im trying to explain.
But again i dont know if your sw can handle a switch there is on, and then just goes on again (no switch state change)
And then the sw cant tell if the switch have moved.

My software i can program the state when it goes from off to on and
Also when it leaves the on state to off state
Fx. in a on off on switch, there i can program all 3 states
But in a off on on switch i cant programm the last on state
Tell me how you solve this problem
Might be a diode but dont think so
Might be that your sw can do it, Tell me.
Cause in my opinion its a nogo to buy those exact real switckes with (on on on) or (off on on) or (on on) ect.
BMS is designed to have a switch state change, ok if your sw can handle that.

Kukki
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 06:06:25 AM by Kukki »
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #658 on: May 26, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »
@Willy,  wow you are setting a whole new benchmark standard to wiring cockpits!!!   That looks 100% legit!

@Kukki,  what do you mean exactly?  How are they not recognized?  I am not 100% sure, but I could have sworn I used on,on switches with my last cockpit with no issues?  I would like to figure this out now, before I get too far into my project.  Cause I just wired up my AVN POWER and it uses all ON,ON switches.  So how is this different from a rotary switch?  Would it not be all on, on, as well?

Maybe I should unpack my pokey boards and do some testing.

Thanks for the info though.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #659 on: May 26, 2018, 09:59:19 AM »
Kukki,

I think you may have misunderstood me (either that or I'm not understanding what you are saying).  Forgive me if the following is info that you (probably) already know.  However, it may be useful info for others.

The "ON-ON" switch designation means that the switch is a Single Pole, Double Throw two position switch.  It has three terminals: a common terminal and two other terminals. The common terminal makes contact with one of the other two terminals depending on the switch position.  The ON-OFF-ON version has the same three terminals but is a three position switch which has a center off position that the ON-ON does not have.  In that position, neither of the two terminals are connected to the common.

I've been using all varieties of these switches as well as the momentary versions which are denoted by the "()" designation.  For example, the (ON)-OFF-ON designation means it is a three position (center off) switch with one position being momentary.  I've had zero problem with these switches being interfaced via the Pokeys.  You just need to know how to configure them to get the proper function. 

The key to configuring the ON-OFF-ON three position switch in Pokeys is that you need to configure the Digital Input for the two terminals of the ON-OFF-ON switch using the "Triggered Input" option.  That option "triggers" a single keystroke to be sent to BMS only when the Digital Input changes state. 

Here's an example for my HUD panel for the VV/VAH switch.  It has one terminal of the ON-OFF-ON switch connected to Digital Input 1 and the other terminal connected to Digital Input 2.  This is how Input 1 (the "VV/VAH" position) is configured.
2018-05-26_8-34-20.jpgWilly's Pit

Notice that Pokeys Digital Inputs are normally inverted so you have to use the "Key Up" for when the Digital Input is "ON" and "Key Down" when it is OFF.  This confused me initially but once you understand it, it is no problem.  Here's the configuration for Digital Input 2 (which is the OFF position of the VV/VAH switch).
2018-05-26_8-46-10.jpgWilly's Pit

The key here is that both Digital Inputs 1 & 2 are programmed to send the middle "VAH" switch position keystroke when the switch is moved to the OFF position.  Works like a Champ!

Hopefully this helps others that are using Pokeys for their input.  Oh, have I said before that I love the Pokeys57U's?  Yes, I think I have.  :)

Beau "Willy" Williamson