Marvin's 2nd Cockpit Project (HAF Block 52+ PXIII) by Rufus
[June 02, 2018, 05:58:31 PM]

MailMan Selling Part of Pit because of room constraints by Sparrow 23
[June 02, 2018, 01:44:14 AM]

mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by mcfrag0815
[June 01, 2018, 05:50:50 PM]

Salaxi54's pit progress by mike-simulation
[June 01, 2018, 06:42:16 AM]

Author Topic: Willy's Pit  (Read 242068 times)

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: Willy's Pit
« Reply #525 on: December 23, 2017, 08:06:48 PM »
SUPER COOL Willy.

Just remember its a mean killing machine you are building, its supose to look bad ass, not new :-) and not perfect.
Atleast thats how I like it, but again I will be there soon with my pit......painting it and all :-)  but I will scratch it after  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

GREAT Work Willy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #526 on: December 24, 2017, 01:12:51 AM »
@Willy : You're doing a stunning job on that pit mate! Keep up the good work.  :clap:

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #527 on: December 24, 2017, 01:50:20 AM »
Outstanding work Willy!
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #528 on: December 24, 2017, 03:40:18 AM »
We're a bunch of sick people in awe of such massive objects we consider beautiful
But it's a work of love and it shows.

Beautiful Willy :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #529 on: February 25, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »
My new pit didn't come with a floor.  If you go back and look at some of the original pictures I posted you see that it just has the bottom skins.

So I've been building a new floor from scratch.  Here's the progress on that.

Here you can see the bottom of the floor (made from .090" aluminium) with the three .125" thick stringers that stiffen it up.

Here's the top of the floor with the three U channels that are normally part of the floor in the F16.  These were built out of .063" sheet aluminum and I paid a fabrication shop to use their press break to bend them.

Here's the floor being test fit into the pit.

I have installed #8-32 Nut Plates in the rails so that you can just screw the floor into the rails with eight screws.  That allows for the removal of the floor if necessary.

As you can see, there is a small section of floor to the aft of the main floor(seen in the bottom of the picture) that I must make.  I'll also have to install #8-32 Nut Plates in those rails to allow that small section to be screwed onto the rails.  I don't have one of the fancy Nut Plate installation tools that allow you to quickly and easily drill the holes for the Nut Plate.  Instead I have to carefully mark the position of the screws, hold a Nut Plate in position directly over the hole and then mark the position of the two #4 rivet holes with a fine tipped Sharpie.  Holding the Nut Plate just right and not allowing it to slip while marking is always difficult.  Bottom line:  Without that fancy tool (which you can't always use due to clearance issues) is a PITA!  :brickwall:

Now I have to disassemble all the parts, prime them (at least the mating faces) and rivet them together.  Then prime the whole thing and paint it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:33:28 AM by Willy »
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline Blaze

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #530 on: February 25, 2018, 11:43:31 PM »
Nice work brother Willy!   :cheerleader:

Blaze

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • Awards
« Reply #531 on: February 26, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »
Spent yesterday riveting the floor together.  Wow, my riveting skills have slipped a bit.  Some of these rivets are pretty bad and wouldn't pass muster with the FAA and would have to be drilled out and redone.  However, the floor doesn't have to pull 9 G's so I think I'm ok here.

Here I've laid out the tools to rivet things together.  The bucking bar that you see didn't work so well as it couldn't quite reach inside the channel.  That contributed greatly to really crappy "shop-heads" on some of the rivets.  I switched to a different bucking bar but I had to use a face of it that wasn't machined and polished to back the rivets.  Not exactly the best way to buck rivets but keep in mind what the floor goes in.

Here's the finished product.  If you look closely you can see that I got the rivet gun just slightly off center/angle which caused some "crescent" dimples in the floor around the perimeter of some of the domed rivet heads.  The pros would not approve of that.

Final test fit.  I had some overhang of some of the channels that I had to grind/file down flush with the edges of the floor to get it to fit.   I think I will also enlarge the screw holes a bit to make it easier to get the screws aligned with the Nut Plates in the rails.

Now on to building the small aft section floor piece to cover the hole you see in the bottom of the picture.  I also need to build some console walls that did not come with the cockpit.  Oh yeah, there is a loose piece of angle aluminum that needs to be replace.  It is the piece to which the R. Aux Console bolts.  Whoever built this pit did a poor job with that piece in terms of selection of material (too thin angle aluminum) and crappy pop rivets. 

It is now very clear to me that this pit did NOT come off of a flying F16.  Instead it was 98% all of the real pieces, but some of those parts were assembled using cheap pop rivets and not the good Cherry-Max pop-rivets.  (Cherry-Max rivets cost an arm and a leg!)
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline String

• Lt. Col
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • iNFLIGHT Aviation
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #532 on: February 26, 2018, 12:53:44 PM »
Very Professional  :thumbsup:

STRING

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #533 on: February 26, 2018, 02:22:56 PM »
Wow outstanding work Willy!   I still can't believe you have an ACTUAL F-16 cockpit shell???
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline spooky

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Cockpit-Fest USA
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #534 on: March 03, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
Looking good Willy!
MiG-21 cockpit

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #535 on: March 04, 2018, 05:59:22 PM »
Now for the new side walls.  I made a paper template and cut these out of .063" aluminum.  However, when I went to install them, I found out once again that this pit was missing stuff.  None of the Nut Plates for the R. Console were ever installed.  That and I had to replace the support element that I mentioned in a previous post and install Nut Plates in it too.  PITA but I'm getting there.

Then I primed the new floor pieces as well as the Side Wall parts.

I'm getting better at priming and painting but still had some minor sags.  Those sags will sand out before I paint the parts 36231 Grey.

BTW, did I ever mention that I hate painting.  Such a mess.

Willy
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline mcfrag0815

• Lt. Col
  • Rookie
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #536 on: March 04, 2018, 06:07:53 PM »
I understand you Willy - painting is the cause that I have a big shelf of doom and I'm only talking about scale modelling  :biggrin:

But the result is worth the effort - it's looking great!

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #537 on: March 10, 2018, 02:27:20 PM »
Here's the final(?) result of the side consoles with the new side walls installed along with the new floor.

I still have to install more Nut Plates for that small floor section in the very aft part of the pit.  I also need to cut a rounded rectangle hole in the Rudder Deck so I can pass cables and and air ducts up into the Center Console.  Then on to the Electronics Bay.  I need to build shelves to hold the Power Supplies and the ATA-101's and cut down the vertical size of my Circuit Breaker panel and cut a hole in the front of the pit to mount it.

Oh and I still have to mount the Electronics Box on the back wall.  (It just never seems to end.) :brickwall:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:35:32 PM by Willy »
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #538 on: March 14, 2018, 12:01:19 AM »
Willy I hate you!!!!   :lolsign:   Incredible work!
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #539 on: March 16, 2018, 04:00:51 AM »
WOW Willy, that is some GREAT work you have done there  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: TOP  :vprules:

Keep going mate  :beer:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)