Marvin's 2nd Cockpit Project (HAF Block 52+ PXIII) by Rufus
[June 02, 2018, 05:58:31 PM]

MailMan Selling Part of Pit because of room constraints by Sparrow 23
[June 02, 2018, 01:44:14 AM]

mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by mcfrag0815
[June 01, 2018, 05:50:50 PM]

Salaxi54's pit progress by mike-simulation
[June 01, 2018, 06:42:16 AM]

Author Topic: Henkie's pit  (Read 576366 times)

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
Re: Henkie's pit
« Reply #1320 on: February 28, 2018, 09:35:25 AM »
Ah, yes.  The trials and tribulations of doing battle with Mr. Murphy and his evil electronic chaos minions.

However, it sounds like "Super Henk" is about to right those evils and prevail.  Congrats.  Looking forward to the video of the working unit.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #1321 on: February 28, 2018, 01:17:16 PM »
<Cylon red eye> At your command
And here it is, the now working SADI  :yihaw:
First the OFF flag is activated, then PULL TO CAGE to horizontally-leveling the sphere.
When I start the position update, it rolls some 90 degrees, that is because I have not yet updated the firmware. After some roll updating, I do some pitch updating. Pitch is also starting from a wrong setpoint, but that is a minor firmware correction too  :whistle:
Then I resume the roll update, and finally PULL TO CAGE to see that the instrument automatically "levels" (the firmware does that correctly  :D)
Switching the OFF flag is the last action.

The OFF flag is not yet behaving as it should ... I hope that I do not need a PCB patch  :-\

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1322 on: February 28, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
wonderful Henkie  :clap:

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #1323 on: February 28, 2018, 03:07:43 PM »
Ta DA!!!

Greg at SimTek would be proud of your "Super Henk" powers.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1324 on: February 28, 2018, 03:22:15 PM »
Fantastic to hear Henk, man you are the professor here  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline John Fredrik

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1325 on: February 28, 2018, 03:31:29 PM »
If I just coulf have a fraction of your skills....
You never stop to amaze me with your solutions

A lot of respect your way
Best Regards
John Fredrik

Offline KK

• General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Awards
« Reply #1326 on: March 01, 2018, 04:11:59 AM »
Awesome work maestro!
I had no doubt that you are not going to master that.
Your progress also gave me some motivation to get my a** up to do some work on my side.
Stay tuned ...
Klaus

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1327 on: March 12, 2018, 02:33:25 PM »
The Chinese New Year made me wait 2 weeks extra, but ...
It was worth waiting for, here is the so-called "PHCC QSC" daughterboard.
QSC stands for Quad Sin/Cos, and that is exactly what it is. This board provides 4 sin/cos channels, although you can use each channel for something else - thus 8 *true* analog outputs (no PWM) with a range of -10V to +10V in 1024 steps.
The firmware uses Sin/Cos channel #1 and #2 specifically for the Simtek SADI, also controls the OFF flag, and detects the PULL-TO-CAGE knob which will return the SADI sphere to "horizontally-leveled".
The Sin/Cos channels #3 and #4 can also be set to any value (directly) or be set as a "sin/cos" pair.
There is one digital output available, free to use for any purpose.
The interface is of course PHCC DOA bus, but USB is also supported.

I am working on the documentation. Will be ready this week!

Offline Blaze

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #1328 on: March 12, 2018, 10:22:33 PM »
Very cool @henkie,  keep us posted! :clap:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #1329 on: March 27, 2018, 01:16:54 PM »
Progress is slow here, but I finished the adjustments for the new PHCC QSC (Quad Sin/Cos) module.
The circuit board itself "houses" 4 sin/cos pairs, but to drive the Simtek SADI only 2 are needed.
I did the layout in such a way, that you can leave the IC sockets for the third and fourth Sin/Cos pair unpopulated. I did not test them either, but I do not expect "weird" things as the 3rd and 4th pair are a copy of the first two pairs.
The QSC module only needs +15V and -15V DC, the OFF flag of the Simtek SADI needs +28V.
As usual, I mounted the circuit board on a Eurocard-sized perf board (the "carrier board"), and wired the connections to the DIN41612 edge connector.
From eBay I got a very nice small switching power supply module https://www.ebay.de/itm/3A-DC-DC-Buck-Step-down-Dual-Power-Supply-Module-4-5-35v-to-5V-12V-15V-Adjust/322825084415?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649. Input 24V DC, output +15 and -15V DC (independently adjustable!). With this small PSU, the SADI module only needs +24V DC!  And the OFF flag works nicely at 24V as well.

Next to do is a test cable to hook the Simtek SADI to the edge connector for a final test before everything get "lost" in the cockpit, making room on my desk for the next project ...  :whistle:
And of course finishing the documentation  :notes:

Last picture is the breadboard prototype. Happy that I did that (for the first time)! Saved me going through a second version of the PCB (I forgot 8 resistors, so that would have been a pita as "patch")  :DOH:

Offline Noluck18

• Major
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1330 on: March 27, 2018, 08:00:15 PM »
Again, being new here all this work you all are doing is inspiring to say the least.

I really like your approach of modules for specific functions as that is the way I did it over the years on most of my simulators. I know it cost more for the that in hardware, but sure make a more neat and professional approach to interfacing. Keeping the modular approach also allows easier updates, troubleshooting, replacement plug in play with spares, etc. And as you say, make one thing work on the bench, test it and then mount it. Then, move on to the next module or system.

Very well done sir like the rest of the builders here, can't wait to see it all up and running!

Chip

---

Offline raptor

• General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • 16th Ark Angels
    • Awards
« Reply #1331 on: March 28, 2018, 03:40:03 AM »
Amazing Henk..  :bounce2:

Offline Moon

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1332 on: March 28, 2018, 05:42:10 AM »
Beautiful work Henk :hail:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #1333 on: March 29, 2018, 07:07:30 AM »
Thanks guys.

My SADI is working fine, so here is the documentation.
Bare PCB are available (I have 9 boards) for 15 Euro.
Parts cost is ~60 Euro, but if you leave out the ICs for channels 2 and 3, it will save 7.50 Euro.
If you have a (clean!) +5V PSU, you can save another 15 Euro for the not needed on-board DC/DC converter. However, the DC/DC converter is advised, it will make wiring a bit simpler as well.
You need +15/-15V power supply, but with the +15/-15V DC/DC converter from eBay you can reduce the number of required power supplies down to one! Just +24V DC, that's all! For a link to the +/-15V DC/DC converter on eBay, see my previous post  :whistle:

Before asking questions,  RTFM  ... then PM  :D

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #1334 on: April 06, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »
I find it difficult to get mating connectors for the instruments, and when I find a mating connector, they are simply too expensive to justify the amount of money for "just a connector" (IMHO). This is a problem that only occasionally pops up, and it did again when finishing my "SADI project".

For test purposes, I already cannibalize 25-pin sub-D female connectors. First, I remove the metal shell, then I split the two plastic halves between which the female contacts are held. Then I solder a wire to the female contact and put some heat shrink tubing over the 0.5" wire, soldering joint, and the entire pin.
These sub-D female pins make a good contact with the male pins on the MIL-SPEC connectors used on the instruments.

However, you want to have a contact that stays contacted when the instrument is installed in the pit, and does not get disconnected when you inadvertently pull the wire or cable  :DOH:

To solve this issue, I mount a suitable sub-D connector on two simple brackets which are attached to mounting screws of the MIL-SPEC connector at the rear side of the instrument and wire the connections of the instrument's pins to the sub-D connector. From there wiring is simply done using standard sub-D connectors.