Henkie's pit by Nigel
[September 01, 2014, 12:26:29 AM]

Problem with 8" tft.... by Manny
[August 31, 2014, 01:44:02 PM]

The next DED and PFD solution by JJ
[August 31, 2014, 12:58:34 PM]

Aft sounds from rear speakers? by clr4ils
[August 30, 2014, 08:41:11 PM]

Author Topic: New ICP panel from Hispapanles on its way  (Read 2483 times)

Offline ZoomOut

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • 1st.LT
Re: New ICP panel from Hispapanles on its way
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 12:39:10 PM »
Hi all!

Thanks for your inputs. Realy helpfull :)

@ Moon.
 You're right about Manolo. His wery helpfull and open to suggestions.
As far as the F-16 panels goes - including the ICP - I got the impression, that they're all made by request of an other happy builder bitt'n by the "bug".
It seems that he is mostly into airliner panels, primarily Airbus, Boeing and some other civilian planes/helicopters. Hence, I don't think he has dug into details about F-16 panels.

Neither I do know all the right dimensions - or if Sheps pcb matches those - so any knowledge on the matter is more than wellcome.

@ Wolfman
when you say that you have shortened the rockerswitches, was that because they didn't have the right size, or just to get a better fit? And in regard to thumbwheels: Is 8 mm about the correct thickness? My selfmade version is fairly the same size as yours but to be honest, that was as much a move to make them fit Sheps board.

BTW: I had a look at you're build. Nice one! I especially like the dcs solution ;)

@Bluedeath
It is surely my hope and intention to make it avaiable to anyone interested. And also Manolos as far as I know.

As mentioned, one of the reasons to bring it to everyones attention was partly to get some knowledge and input, but just as much to know if any - and in that case - how many, would be interested so that he could produce a suiting amount in the first run. I'll ask him to confirm it next time I get in contact with him, just to be sure.

Cheers
ZoomOut

Offline Wolfman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • uhf-radio
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »
@ZoomOut: I updated my ICP post with pictures, hope that makes it clear.
The wheel width was a educated guess, so I might be off a few mm.

Cheers
Wolfgang
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

Offline ZoomOut

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • 1st.LT
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 03:37:58 PM »
@ZoomOut: I updated my ICP post with pictures, hope that makes it clear.
The wheel width was a educated guess, so I might be off a few mm.

Cheers
Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfman!

Great build!! And yes, it makes it perfectly clear;)
Funny thing is... before I got my hands on Sheperds ICP board I had an idear about a simmilar solution to a homebuild 4-way switch but never got to the point of actually doing something about it:) Found a solution with an old joystick hat-switch instead.
But here you present a perfect way of how to do it. So simple and yet so genious. Nice!!
Makes me wanna have another go at it and finnish my diy ICP:)
Cheers :beer:
ZoomOut

Offline Robump

• 1st.LT
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
Is there any chance you could post the CAD files? I am wondering if this is going to fit the ICP electronics that wolfman has designed.

Thanks
New BMS user!

Offline ZoomOut

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • 1st.LT
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »
Hi Robump

Ohhh... I would if I could, but I can't.. I don't have 'em ;)
Manolo was so kind as to edit the drawings he had of the original panel, based on Sheps layout (seen some way down on the first page of Sheps thread):
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=9235.0

As far as I know (or can see) Volfmans electronics fits the original Hispapanel ICP panel, so if put behind the new one, there should just be a little more room for it all, as the new panel is a few mm's taller. In general the modular layout is the same allthoug the new version - as of now - will have three layers to give it the right thickness. But you can choose to leave the mittle layer out. Or: you can use the original Hispapanel ICP panel.

Manolo sent me a 1:1 layout of the new panel for printing and testing and it fits both Sheps pcb and drawn layout to the mark.

Cheers :)
ZoomOut

Offline ZoomOut

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • 1st.LT
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »
Hi guys

I've been in contact with Manolo at Hispapanels with some requests for further update of the new version of the ICP. I sent him the attached pdf as refference for what I see as points for improvement. - And yes, I know... there are two # 4 points :)... my bad, but I hope you get the idea.

In regard to the attached pdf. only ponit #5 (updated rocker swiches) is not possible right now (but as seen in other threads.. some intuitive scrachbuilding can take care of that (zirael ;))
Apart from that: Neither are the fingerguards an option at the moment as part of the kit - sadly :(

Otherwise, I hope the attached layouts from Hispapanels will give a good impression of how the final design might look.

Just some explanation:
My idea of having an extra layer in the layout is to achive a look (thickness) a bit more like the real panel. On the other hand this may in some cases give trouble, especially for those, making thier on electronics or those who wants to place pots/encoders for thumbwheels on the frontside of the pcb. Hence the extra panel layer can be regarded as optional, or at least some modifcation most be expected, as in so many others cases.

In regard to thumbwheels: They have been updated too, as can be seen below. Their diameter refers to Sheps layout, thoug it might be a bit oversized. But after all; the aim was to get a panels that would fit his pcb.
The thickness have also increased compared to the original. They can be made in white 5 mm acrylic plastic. If made in 8 mm, it can only be done in clear acryl. I think I'll opt for the latter as - althoug it'll need some paint - it will fit the panel better or can be sanded down to a smaller thicknes, if so wanted/needed.

Hope it all makes sence ::)

Any opinions are more than wellcome, as are any further idears for enhancement.

Best regards
ZommOut ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:51:23 PM by ZoomOut »

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 08:50:22 PM »
For the Thumbwheels, contact Dunk, he used to make the thumbwheels for my kit until I finally made a mold for myself, his are top notch. Can someone point me to Shep's offering of the PCB? Also, I added the option for a kit with just the faceplate and buttons/flanges/rockers on my site. If shipping to the US for Hispanels is 80.00 I see I need to perhaps fill the void for the more DIY guys. I can ship to EU for 23.50 for the kit. Mine has the finger guards and rockers in the kit...... Zoomout, had I known you were such a great salesman I would have shipped you my kit for free. ;)

Click Above For Information

Offline mrwell

• Col.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »
Search for 3rd run PSCockpit  ;)

Offline ZoomOut

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • 1st.LT
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 03:57:19 PM »
Hi Mike

Like mrwell says:
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=9235.0

I don't know if he's got anyone on stock, or if he has any leftovers from the last run, but his layout (first page of the above link) indicates the messures.

..... Zoomout, had I known you were such a great salesman I would have shipped you my kit for free. ;)

Mike. Beleave me; I couldn't sell water do a man dying of thirst ;)
Just aks my wife. She will confirm, that I'm much better at spending, than selling :lol:

And please forgive me if I've given the impression, that I was highlighting one product on the expence of another. That was in no way my intention. I ran into the problem, that my "old" ICP panel ditn't fit the messures of Sheps pcb and asked Manolo if it could be corrected. In the process I just wanted to get some input from other users to be sure to correct whatever could be corrected.

It might sound like a contradiction to the lines above, but I would really like a Viperpanels ICP panel (among others), so I guess you've got an order inbound :lol:
 :vprules:

In regard to shipping expences. Some people seems to run into rather big ones. (Items going one way or the other cross the Atlantic). Don't know if customs or the likes are part of that problem?

Best regards
ZoomOut

Offline WarHorsey

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
If I purchase via the Hispapanels website will I receive the 'updated' ICP or do I need to contact the manufacturer directly?

- Horsey
e polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Offline ZoomOut

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • 1st.LT
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 04:21:32 AM »
Hi Warhorsey

As for now I think you'll have to send him a PM to be sure.

Actually I just recieved the prototypes of the new version a few hours ago and have just had a quick look at them. I don't have the time to build in the next couple of weeks, so I can't give a full review, but I can say, that they fit the PSCockpit board as intended.

I must make it clear, that the panel is intended primarily for the PSCockpit pcb as this unfortunately is a little out of scale and as such is some mm's to big, compared to the real thing. So a "right scale" ICP panel will not align with some of the buttons and switches on that pcb.

For the same reason I've got my hands on one of Mikes ICP panels (what a beauty)  and intend to use that - with a DIY pcb - instead.

In regard to the new version (for the PSCockpit pcb). Since it was kind of a prototype-batch.. I actually got send four (4) sets (each with two faceplates. One thin (3 mm) and one thick (5mm) so you'll be able to choose the one that fits your set-up best.

What still needs to be claryfied with Manolo is if want me to hand of the spare sets (I only intend to build one pit for now;)).
I had or have no intention of being the "mittle-man" in any deals with Hispapanels, but of cause it would make just as much sence to send a panel directly to you instead of returning it to Manolo - for him to send it to you;)

Before making any hasty decisions... I'll try to put up some pictures of the panel-set soon.

And BTW the final price was set to 50 + 21%VAT

Best regards
ZoomOut
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:26:55 AM by ZoomOut »

Offline Bluedeath

• BSG 62 Pegasus CAG
  • Lt. Col
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 06:03:03 AM »
Has the base of the round buttons been redesigned? in the old version the buttons had the tendency to rotate.

Offline ZoomOut

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • 1st.LT
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 11:22:46 AM »
Hi Bluedeath

Yes it has. But as far as I know, that had allready been dealt with in an earlier run.

The backparts for the round MODE buttons are square now, so the rotation problem is solved.

The thumbwheels now have grooves (is that the right word?) much more like the real ones. The ones provided in the first batch are the same diameter as the real ones, so they are to small for Sheps board (as the diameter for that board must be minimum 40 mm's - unless you change or move the pots to the front of the panel (wich means you'll have to do some cutting/milling in the second layer to give room for them)). Anyway... it should just be a matter of a PM to Manolo to have him make the diameter you need. Further more the thickness of the thumbwheels are increased to match the real ones.

In general the final result is more or less like discribed earlier in this thread so all in all it can be said, that the panel has a nice finnish with sharp ingravings. The size is - as mentioned - NOT 100% correct, but it will fit Sheps pcb. You'll have the choise of adding an extra layer if need be witch on the other hand will increase the thickness but in that case that will not match RL either;). The most eyecatching downside is, that it has no fingerguards:( ... so you'll have to scratchbuild some yourself if they are a must. The ingravings on the buttons are like on the earlier model and as such not 100% correct either.

I hope this will give an idear of what to expect and as promised, I'll post some pics asap.

Cheers
ZoomOut
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:00:57 PM by ZoomOut »

Offline Robump

• 1st.LT
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 06:16:10 PM »
How are we doing with this?

I had a look on Hispapanels website, is the one on there the updated version?

Thanks
New BMS user!

Offline ZoomOut

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • 1st.LT
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »
Hi Robump

I've been caught up by my RL to-do-list, so I must admit I'm a bit behind regarding updates... sorry about that.

But I have recived the prototypes from Manolo for evaluation, so those who have any interest in the subject, please let me know via a PM, and I'll try to find the time to post some pictures and comments based on my own impressions.

As far as the Hispapanels website goes: No, Manolo hasn't updated anything yet. I'm afraid his waiting for some feedback on the prototypes before doing so:(. ... again my bad.

I'll see if I can manage to post some more info this weekend.

Best regards
ZoomOut;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:02:49 AM by ZoomOut »