FSX - Steam Version by BobSlob
[December 19, 2014, 08:31:28 AM]

Kukki´s Pit V5 by Kukki
[December 19, 2014, 03:03:59 AM]

F-18 Simulator by Rufus
[December 19, 2014, 02:14:48 AM]

CNC Backlight PCB's by Ka-Bar03
[December 18, 2014, 10:45:37 PM]

Author Topic: Cavalier's Pit  (Read 46582 times)

Offline Nigel

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
Re: Cavalier's Pit
« Reply #240 on: March 23, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »
Jan,
Hint: You only need the F4 .exe on your computer to launch BMS.
Nigel

Offline Cavalier6X

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Maj. General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
@ Sandman:  Mark,

RE: Three additional glasses.  You may have noticed that this was taken at a brewery.  Quality assurance is a continuous task . . . but, somebody has to do it.  The proprietor was grateful for a European perspective.

Only 5VDC and 12VDC contemplated right now.  If something else becomes necessary, it will probably go in the empty space under the rudder pedals.

No overload protection yet, although I'm seriously considering it.  The FI CIM-2 module does have integral fuses.

Haven't had any issues with cooling on the 12VDC MeanWell during my relatively short "test flights"; the internal fans appear to be sufficient.  The 5VDC unit hasn't been hooked-up and wired yet.  Will report any problems.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ Nigel:  Dave,  Appreciate the tip - Thanks!

Cheers,

Jan  :beer:

Offline Nigel

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2012, 02:46:47 PM »
Jan,
How are you bud? When will you be flying again? FYI, I have an old MALWIN trainer FF gauge that will work in your pit, it's the 2" round one for the A-model but I dont know if you want to have a pile of electronics just for one gauge. But it would sure be cool! I love your pit and the canopy frame, a lot of guys are drooling on it.
Nigel

Offline Cavalier6X

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Maj. General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: September 18, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »
Dave,

Appreciate the offer.  However, the AIC FF gauge installed earlier is working like a champ.  Think I'll stick with it.

Does anyone know the correct nomenclature for the connector pictured below and maybe even a supplier?  Used to think they were called "Hoffman" connectors; but, haven't been able to find them listed under that name.  Need to purchase about ten more for the control head lighting.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Trappersboy/Mystery%20Connector_zps93d1c238.jpg
Cavalier's Pit

@ Sandman:  Mark, You asked earlier about the power supplies.  Have been using the MeanWell 5VDC and 12VDC power supplies for six months now.  No problems to date.

Cheers,

Jan  :beer:

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #244 on: September 18, 2012, 06:43:20 PM »
Jan-

Thanks for letting me know those power supplies are running cool-  I really liked the way you handled the power distribution, but I was a little concerned that heat build up could become a problem, expecially in an enclosed avionics compartment without ventilation fans.

When I get to this point, I'll probably add inexpensive temperature sensors to monitor my supplies, as well as voltage and current readouts.  (Overkill, but I am a recovering control freak!)  Based on JJ's experiences, maybe I need to add fire suppression protection as well (?)

Modern power supplies are fairly efficient, so they don't generate nearly as much heat as older units did.  I suppose the key is to stay with reputable brands when buying power supplies- stay away from "junk" supplies.

Best wishes from Seattle-

Mark (aka "Sandman")

Offline JJ

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • Jan-Joost "JJ" Oosterbaan
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: September 18, 2012, 06:54:57 PM »
@Mark.. i have the avionics bay always open....just in case  ;D  ...
Carpe Diem

Offline Nikolas_A

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #246 on: September 19, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »
Does anyone know the correct nomenclature for the connector pictured below and maybe even a supplier?  Used to think they were called "Hoffman" connectors; but, haven't been able to find them listed under that name.  Need to purchase about ten more for the control head lighting.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Trappersboy/Mystery%20Connector_zps93d1c238.jpg
Cavalier's Pit

Hoffman is correct but it's the manufacturers name.
The spec is MS90335

Hard to find and they don't come cheap. I think you're better off buying old panels from ebay and scavenging the connectors...
Great ideas need landing gear as well as wings

Offline Cavalier6X

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #247 on: September 20, 2012, 04:18:55 AM »
Wow, they are indeed pricey. :DOH:  I'll do as you suggest Nikolas.  Thanks.
Jan  :beer: 

Offline Cavalier6X

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »
Aloha Gang,

Where does the time go . . . almost nine months since my last update.  RL and the "honey do" list have more than kept me busy during the interim.

After my less than favorable experience with Flight Illusion gauges and the lack of customer service in particular, have been looking at alternatives.  About six weeks ago came across SimMeters.  Some positive indications from other Viperpits members prompted me to give SimMeters a try.  The price was right and free world-wide shipping was a major plus!  Ordered the: Airspeed/Mach Meter, Altimeter, EHSI and EADI.  Everything was at my door within two weeks.  Not too shoddy for Spain to Hawaii. :thumbsup:

Replaced the Flight Illusion gauges in the CP and was pleased with how everything fit without major alteration.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Trappersboy/002-5.jpg
Cavalier's Pit

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Trappersboy/007-1.jpg
Cavalier's Pit

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Trappersboy/013-3.jpg
Cavalier's Pit

Loaded the SimMeters Workspace 3.0 Software this afternoon to test everything.  Initially couldn't get things working properly.  (NOTE: My IT ability is a constant source of embarrassment.  :-[ )  Emailed the folks at SimMeters about the issue and attached a few screenshots; that was mid-afternoon Hawaii time or the middle of the night in Spain.  Imagine my surprise when a response was received within 45 minutes! As suspected the problem was headspace and timing on my part . . . the IP addresses I was using were incorrect.  Ten minutes later the corrections were applied.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Trappersboy/003-3-1.jpg
Cavalier's Pit

Haven't mastered U-Tube yet, but so far the gauges have performed flawlessly.

Also upgraded my primary computer to a Fusion system from the Chillblast folks in the UK last month, a significant step up with:

Processor: 4.5GHz Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX USB3
Video Card: GeForce GTX 680 2GB (will support three screens)
1st Drive: 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD (OS)
2nd Drive: 1TB Hard Disk (FSX)
Cooler: Akasa Nero 3 Cooler

More to follow. Hopefully won't be as long with the next update.

Cheers,

Jan  :beer:           
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:27:35 PM by Cavalier6X »

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2013, 05:08:55 AM »
Holy Crap Jan!
you are not laying on the lazy side out there in the pacific  :beer:

GREAT progress mate, that looks awesome man, and it looks like it works perfect for you.

Well done, will love to come over and chk it out live  :thumbsup:

Take care mate and give Shirley a big hug from Tina and I

Kukki
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)
872nd Fighter Squadron Scandinavia
87th Stray Dogs VFW

Offline wmartin5

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Lt. Col
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »
That looks AWSOME Jan! Great work!
 It's gotta be nice to see all the gauges working....

Wayne

Offline Romanski

• Administrator
  • Maj. General
  • www.31st.nl
  • VP Awards : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »
Hi Jan,

Very nice, well done! Are those simeters instruments also working with BMS ?

thanks,
Romanksi
''Strength and Honor''

Offline Killratio

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #252 on: June 16, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »
Great stuff Jan!!

Offline Catcher

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • Homebuild
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #253 on: June 16, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Truly love it Jan, fellow F16A builder :thumbsup: 8)

Offline RUS

• Col.
  • Member of: Simulated Royal Danish Airforce
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2013, 02:49:11 AM »
SO nice Jan... I just found my common future HSI...

But went directly to the website www.simmeters.com , but the HSI you have, wasn't there!!

Then I went back to your Photos.. And on the back it reads "HSI Version 1.1!

Well, Thx for Sharing!!

RUS :whistle:

Jasons plans, Hotas Cougar + TM MFD. Helios, Saitek Combat Pro Pedals,  GTX 770,