COUGAR METAL TAILPART ANGLED by Marvin
[July 17, 2018, 04:13:30 PM]

SHIPPING COSTS FROM CHINA by Kukki
[July 14, 2018, 05:30:06 PM]

ACES II DATA RECORDER BOX by MadDoc
[July 12, 2018, 07:31:35 AM]

ACES II - SEATPAN by Kukki
[July 12, 2018, 05:46:07 AM]

Author Topic: ATD - ADVANCED THREAT DISPLAY  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: ATD (Advanced Tactical Display)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
It really is a no issue guys, VGA gets easily converted to DP with this:

I use 4 of them and never had any issue

Beside with GPU and DP1.2 min you can use DP hubs and connect 3 of these small screens

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
Nigel and I used the AvionicsLCD 3.5" displays and they are a pretty good fit - a little expensive at $300 but *super* bright and crisp, very high resolution, with a tiny controller board that made integration pretty simple.
http://www.avionicslcd.com/3.5_LCD_VGA/3.5_LCD_screen_VGA_Hand_Hold_LCD_panel_Display.htm

Some eBay seller (SonLight? IIRC) had similar screens for around $50 with a larger (and not as capable) controller board, lower brightness, and lower resolution (480p native compared to AvionicsLCD's 640p/226 dpi).  Same form factor as the AvionicsLCD screens, though.

We had no luck sourcing square OLEDs in unit quantity - and I'd suspect the market is still the same now as then for this size. 

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »
I'd be happy with a standard VGA connector, allowing the builder to use any adapter of choice.

And looking at how it's constructed, I think there will b enough shielding that interference should not be an issue... :whistle: ...it's in a box - a metal box?
- Rufus

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 01:16:52 AM »
Nigel and I used the AvionicsLCD 3.5" displays and they are a pretty good fit - a little expensive at $300 but *super* bright and crisp, very high resolution, with a tiny controller board that made integration pretty simple.
http://www.avionicslcd.com/3.5_LCD_VGA/3.5_LCD_screen_VGA_Hand_Hold_LCD_panel_Display.htm

Some eBay seller (SonLight? IIRC) had similar screens for around $50 with a larger (and not as capable) controller board, lower brightness, and lower resolution (480p native compared to AvionicsLCD's 640p/226 dpi).  Same form factor as the AvionicsLCD screens, though.

We had no luck sourcing square OLEDs in unit quantity - and I'd suspect the market is still the same now as then for this size.

What  would the absolute minimum resolution required be for a fully-functioning ATD screen?

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 02:01:56 AM »
I can tell you that I have for years used a 4" lcd with composite connection and it is super ok for the ATD.

BUT we can do better, we WANT HQ, nice colours, good brightness ect :-)
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 03:25:56 AM »
Nigel and I used the AvionicsLCD 3.5" displays and they are a pretty good fit -
that's the one i use as well for the ATD/RWR and EHSI
640x480 and a great screen

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 04:08:39 AM »
What  would the absolute minimum resolution required be for a fully-functioning ATD screen?

480x240 is the minimum but 640x480 looks a LOT better.  Brightness and contrast are also extremely important due to the small form factor and off-angle location of the ATD in the pit.  The AvionicsLCD screen has native 640x480 resolution, 400:1 contrast ratio, and +/-50 degree horizontal viewing angle (extremely important for the ATD, as most LCDs will appear very dim when viewed even slightly off-axis). 

Other less expensive alternatives with mostly similar specs and dimensions are available from

Crystalfontz (CFAF480640A-035T)
https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/cfaf480640a035t-graphic-tft-480x640-640x480-lcd-module
 ($90 for the display; controller board has to be sourced separately)

Prime View (PD035VX2)
(prices vary widely on eBay but complete kit can be had for well under $150.  The controller boards for these displays are significantly larger than AvionicsLCD's controllers, but they support HDMI and/or DVI digital video interfaces if that's important for you compared to standard VGA analog inputs.  The on-screen setup menus are in Chinese by default but are switchable to English.  The controller boards tend to be a little flakey.

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: ATD (Advanced Threat Display)
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 04:13:13 AM »
Thans Gents, its a lot of good help here  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 04:15:15 AM »

Thanks @lightning  for the link  :thumbsup:
I did not know this site, and bookmarked it.
They also have a nice display 6.4" x 6.2" (IIRC  :D)  which would probably be a nice fit for the MFDs.

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: ATD (Advanced Threat Display)
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »
....hmmmnnn..."HUD on glass"... :notes: .
- Rufus

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: ATD - ADVANCED THREAT DISPLAY
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 09:33:41 AM »
NEW pictures in the first post.

ADT is coming alive and pcb is made + housing + screen and its all been tested right now.
And it looks so proff and great.

I will get the prototype this month and next month when all is perfect it will be up for sale.

Stay tuned

Offline John Fredrik

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »
Does this piece fit into the instrument frame , or does the frame need some adjustements?
Best Regards
John Fredrik

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 03:39:27 PM »
Does this piece fit into the instrument frame , or does the frame need some adjustements?

it will fit direct into the instr panel there  :thumbsup:  just like the real one