Marvin's 2nd Cockpit Project (HAF Block 52+ PXIII) by Rufus
[June 02, 2018, 05:58:31 PM]

MailMan Selling Part of Pit because of room constraints by Sparrow 23
[June 02, 2018, 01:44:14 AM]

mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by mcfrag0815
[June 01, 2018, 05:50:50 PM]

Salaxi54's pit progress by mike-simulation
[June 01, 2018, 06:42:16 AM]

Author Topic: Blaze's Pit  (Read 44696 times)

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
Re: Blaze's Pit
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2018, 12:42:56 PM »
Blaze,

You are a lucky man!  I will be watching this progress thread closely!   :beer:
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline mcfrag0815

• Lt. Col
  • Rookie
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »
Wohoooo - Christmas in March  :yihaw:
You lucky man!

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: March 09, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »
Looks like waiting until this Sunday for me to visit was a good change.  Now I'll get to see your newly delivered stuff.

Willy
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2018, 03:13:11 PM »
Wow... :o ...fantastic... :thumbsup: !!!
- Rufus

Offline Blaze

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: March 09, 2018, 11:25:58 PM »
Thanks guys! 

Yes @Willy it is perfect timing, really looking forward to hangin' out.

The weather was fantastic today and it made the shop work more enjoyable.  I was able to make some  additional progress on the side shells today.  The left side is Cleco'ed into position and I started riveting the forward and aft bulkheads.  It will be fun to watch the build as step after step gets completed.

We used screws to temporarily attach the parts to the workbench allowing better stability (which made the process of bucking easier):

Close up of one of the rivet lines:

Forward bulkhead shot, the rest of the rivets on these will be installed in a later step:

Have a great weekend guys!

Blaze

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: March 10, 2018, 12:32:13 AM »
Fantastic Work you guys do there, and perfect you got the
Box with the sides Stu  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: March 10, 2018, 03:48:50 AM »
Cannot wait to see the next series of pictures  :thumbsup:
I have been busy at my desk with some designs (will post soon  :whistle: ), but seeing these pictures makes my own pit construction creep up a few notches on the long "to do" list .......

Offline Blaze

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
Fantastic Work you guys do there, and perfect you got the
Box with the sides Stu  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They wouldn’t have made it here without your help,  hats off to you brother @Kukki! :hail:

Blaze
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 01:36:13 PM by Blaze »

Offline Blaze

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2018, 01:30:56 PM »
I have been busy at my desk with some designs (will post soon  :whistle: ), but seeing these pictures makes my own pit construction creep up a few notches on the long "to do" list .......

And we can’t wait to see your designs @henkie !   :thumbsup:

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2018, 01:13:14 PM »
Had a great visit at @Blaze's home yesterday.  Spent several hours talking pits and looking over his pit progress with Martin's kit.  It looks even better in person. 

I was also impressed (although it should not have been a surprise) at the quality of workmanship of Martin's kit.  It is on par with some of the Home-Built Aircraft kits that you can buy where everything is in the kit, pre-drilled, pre-formed and fits together perfectly.  If you have the $$$ (€€€) to go that route, you will not be unhappy.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2018, 02:16:50 PM »

Well, DHL Express did a delivery from China this afternoon  :whistle:

Offline Blaze

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2018, 10:10:51 PM »
Had a great visit at @Blaze's home yesterday.  Spent several hours talking pits and looking over his pit progress with Martin's kit.  It looks even better in person. 

I was also impressed (although it should not have been a surprise) at the quality of workmanship of Martin's kit.  It is on par with some of the Home-Built Aircraft kits that you can buy where everything is in the kit, pre-drilled, pre-formed and fits together perfectly.  If you have the $$$ (€€€) to go that route, you will not be unhappy.

So glad you made it out @Willy!  I really enjoyed the time and I’m glad you liked the side shells.  :thumbsup:
Now if I could just figure out how to download all the pit knowledge you have in your brain to mine I’ll be in great shape.... :biggrin:

Blaze

Offline Blaze

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2018, 10:12:19 PM »

Well, DHL Express did a delivery from China this afternoon  :whistle:

:harhar:  ‘at a boy @henkie !!

Offline Hero

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2018, 03:36:24 AM »
That looks great Blaze

And I see you are using full rivets. Nice :clap:
Hero
872nd Fighter Squadron Scandinavia
87th Stray Dogs VFW

Offline Blaze

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2018, 09:18:23 PM »
Greetings everyone!

This is not really an update on my pit (even though I have done a few odds and ends over the last month or so).  I am back home after an awesome trip to Denmark and Germany where I got to hang out with @Kukki and @Hero.  I also got to FINALLY meet the legend himself, Martin "Pegasus" Schmitt!  The entire trip went smoothly and I've got to say all three of these guys were amazing hosts.  After touring Copenhagen the first couple of days with Hero, I flew over to Aabybro and spent two nights at Kukki's house.  Of course we stayed up till really late working on the sim both nights, but we toured his town and went to the beach as well. 

I was honored to help get Kukki's right side shell mounted to the center floor structure.  This was quite motivating to me since I hope to be doing this on my own pit in the near future.   We also installed the center pedestal instruments and tested the toggle switches on the right side console.  I won't say anymore than that and I will just post a couple of pics so I don't steal Kukki's thunder.

This is a cool perspective shot I took when we were working on the side console switches with a nice view of the aux instruments and backlighting:

Kukki drove me to Berlin via Hamburg where we made a quick stop at the the "Miniature Wunderland" exhibit.  If you have never seen the videos from this place you should check it out on YouTube.  The place is unbelievable!  Of course the airport is the highlight and I took a lot of pictures, but I will just attach a few of them here:

Our visit with Martin was sensational.  We talked pits and Martin took us for an extensive tour of Berlin, including the airfield where the Berlin airlift took place.  Martin is working on some exciting things like a canopy frame and a very nice PCB network to run all the lights and switches on the side and aux consoles. It will be Ethernet based and work with his other PCB's/software.  I can't wait until this new system is finished.

I have probably said this before, but I hope you guys are meeting fellow pit builders and not just going it alone.  This hobby has brought me some great new friends for life. 

I hope to post a build update before too much longer, stay tuned guys!

Blaze