Wolverine's F16 Block 52 by Wolverine
[December 01, 2017, 02:27:16 AM]

Symulate Cockpit Plans by Symulate
[November 30, 2017, 02:05:26 PM]

BMS 4.33 U4 is here. by Icarus
[November 30, 2017, 03:45:45 AM]

Azul's Pit by Azul
[November 29, 2017, 04:07:10 AM]

Author Topic: Rufus' Ride - Block 50 Pit Progress...  (Read 68754 times)

Offline Catcher

• Live fearless live free
  • -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • Homebuild
  • VP Awards : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: Rufus' Ride - Block 50 Pit Progress...
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2017, 08:09:17 AM »
Another RealSimWorld owner :thumbsup:

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2017, 09:27:47 PM »
Very nice, sturdy looking machine @ramazoti ... :thumbsup: !  As this is my first CNC build I'm sure I'll be using it to build a bigger, heavier one someday.  I'm looking at steppers similar to your choice, but want single shaft ones.  And there are some error-corrective drivers from Leadshine that I'm looking into - I need to read up a bit more, but I like the idea.

I'm looking to over-build my control box to supply more amperage than I plan to use presently so I can upgrade to a bigger NEMA 34 driven machine with premium ball-screws in the future, and use the same control box.  I may start with an air cooled spindle for this machine too, mostly because I don't have a ready source to 220 VAC power where I'm currently living...so I'm sort of constrained to using a 115 VAC rated inverter to get myself started...got eyes on several similar four bearing, air cooled, 1.5 kW ones.  I'll be cutting mostly acrylic...for starters.

I was also planning on running Mach 4, but as I've mentioned I'm still open to options at this point...I'll be looking at UCCNC... :notes: .
- Rufus

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: October 19, 2017, 01:15:56 AM »
Got my base rails back from the machine shop just yesterday... :thumbsup: , cut and squared.  Now that I have a local machinist that understands what I'm doing, I can also use him to cut my X and Z axis beams when the time comes for that. 

Should be going to bed, but couldn't help starting to loosely bolt some of the base parts/brackets together.... :brickwall: ...pictures to follow.  I have a feeling this assembly is going to go fairly quickly...until I need to cut and crown the lead screws... :DOH: ...
- Rufus

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: October 19, 2017, 02:16:52 AM »
 ;D  We are all just little kids happy with a new toy  ;D
Did you sleep well?  The adrenaline surely kept you awake for some time.
Looking forward to see the pix

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »
More fits and starts...got the base frame laid out, ends tapped, and roughed together last night in between coming home from work and heading out to dinner -  then finished aligning and securing this morning.

Interestingly enough, my machine is going to end up being just about the same size as the table space I'm working on...which wasn't intentional.  I think... :whistle: .
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:27:46 PM by Rufus »
- Rufus

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: October 20, 2017, 06:26:31 PM »
...then...I spent the rest of the morning sorting and building up assembly packages - didn't realize just how many wheel assemblies there are in this design, but got all of the bearings/wheels assembled and sorted.
Then bagged up all of the parts/hardware for the translating assemblies...only to find out I'm short some spacer/nut pairs because of my alterations... :DOH: ...but that's pretty much the way it always goes, right?

Anyways, pics of where I stand now, and of the gantry plate set I'm using.  This plate set is available on Ebay, and very nicely machined.  This one differs from the original design in being 2" taller and also having a four wheel vice three wheel X carriage plate.  Which is where/why/how my hardware shortage arises..
- Rufus

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: November 20, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »
So...being scatter-brained (and traveling home for Turkey day and away from my CNC project... :thumbsup: ) I was noodling around for parts and ideas today and stumbled across this article on designing/building a working HUD -

https://jager1726.jimdo.com/design/hud/

In particular, the use of a simple Fresnel sheet/lens as a collimator is interesting...dunno if this will actually work, but it's a cheap enough solution to give it a try.  Looking over Ebay a bit it seems that in addition to magnifying sheets one can also find Fresnel plats from overhead projectors which are plastic - one could cut these to shapes/sizes that would work inside of the dimensions of our HUD block.

My first thought is that the center of the Fresnel has to be aligned with the HUD optical center... :notes: ...more noodling required.  Thoughts/experiences welcomed.
- Rufus

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: November 20, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »
@Rufus

Keep in mind that the "real" HUD has to be carefully aligned using special adjustments in the HUD "Fishbowl" to boresight the Gun Cross.  You could have the same issue with your pit and how your front screen is aligned.  Move either one and you have to realign.

This is why I probably won't ever try to tackle a real HUD. 

Just my $0.02 worth. 
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: November 20, 2017, 08:33:35 PM »
@Willy : understood - did you notice the guy on the link lining up his HUD using a transit?  I'm thinking that could be required to line up the Fresnel with HUD optical center...which information I have yet to find for an F-16 HUD...likely going to need that, and the design eye point.

But one thing I will also be able to do is to align the symbology in my HUD with displayed symbology in the OTW before I remove it from the OTW.  As you point out, I should really only need do this at the Gun Cross...though I also have to wonder if the RL Gun Cross is actually fixed in the HUD.

In any event - I do agree that I will have to come up with an alignment procedure...which I won't mind doing as part of my "maintenance action"... :wacko: .
- Rufus

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: December 02, 2017, 05:06:56 PM »
Minor progress on my CNC build...as mail-order serves.  Getting to the point where it's beginning to look like a machine and I need to start considering/fitting steppers and electronics. 

I loaned one of my pieces of C-beam stock to the machine shop to use as a reference and it came back slightly twisted (I think it was dropped)...I've since found a supplier in the UK that sells custom cut stock, so once I get the Y axis plates and lead screws fitted I'll take some measures and order cut stock from there.  I think I can still used the dropped beam for the bed of an A axis.

I didn't really plan to build it the size of the table it's sitting on...that just sort of happened that way... :whistle: ...
- Rufus

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: December 10, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »
More progress on my machine...I got the Y-axis beams and all carriages assembled, and have bolted together to the point that I now need to get hold of my steppers and electronics.
My biggest holdups on this project have been having to mail-order items and have stock cut... :brickwall: ...which I'll end up having another go at tomorrow, now that I know the dimensions I want/need for the X and Z axis beams.

But at least it's starting to actually look like something now... :whistle: .
- Rufus

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: December 10, 2017, 05:00:23 PM »
Looks great so far Rufus, me follow this thread very carefully  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Keep it up my friend.  :vprules:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: December 10, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
You're going to really enjoy having a CNC machine.  I have used the heck out of mine for my Pit project. 

If I had the room in the shop, I'd add a good 30W Laser (like the Epilog Zing 16 that I have access to at Dallas MakerSpace) and a 3D printer (they also have some of these at DMS).  Having a combination of all of those tools at my home shop would really open the door to making cool stuff.

I could probably find space for the 3D printer in the house but the Laser would require ducting of the fumes and smoke to the outside or an expensive filter system.  That currently isn't an option for me due to cost and space requirements.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2017, 12:01:39 AM »
I'm already considering mounting a lower-wattage LED cutting laser to dual-purpose this machine... :whistle: ...I just haven't figured out what to use for a waste board with a laser.  Yet...
- Rufus

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2017, 12:24:54 AM »
Rufus,
I hope you have a really good vacuum cleaner for after you get it up and running...that carpet will be a mess