• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by ChrispyBiscuit99
[Today at 06:49:56 AM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: What sim impacted you the most?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
What sim impacted you the most?
« on: May 06, 2018, 06:08:22 PM »
Ok, obviously everyone here has flown all titles or latest tiles of the Falcon series, so neither of these count.

Curious what simulation back in the 90s had impacted you the most... 

Mine was "Back to Baghdad".  I really did enjoy that sim and played it quite a bit while waiting for Falcon 4.0 to release.  It really was the most realistic avionics simulator from that time implementing SOI modes etc.  Too bad I never seen the sim past about 15 fps as it was a real PC hog.  But certainly will never forget that sim.

And go!
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Hagakure

• Col.
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: What sim impacted you the most?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 07:08:52 PM »
I'm gonna embarrass myself with this but it was "Top Gun - Fire at Will" from Spectrum Holobyte circa 1996. Really hard to call it a sim but it counted for me only because it was the first time I ever "flew" any plane on a computer and I loved it. I remember sitting at a desk and was banking hard to the right. I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window and saw that I was leaning over in the chair. It may not have been anything compared to BMS but it was the one that got me hooked.
Gary

"Saya no uchi de katsu"

One must obtain victory before the sword is drawn.

Offline Road218

• Col.
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills
    • Black Operations
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08:01:48 PM »
U.S. Navy Fighters by Janes. Then every Janes Sim until falcon 4.
Eric "RoadRunner" Taylor

Creator of FalconGauges,  CPD-FG4 for BMS, P51 and BF-109 Gauges for IL-2, and Mirage2000 Gauges. 

Yes I like to write gauge software when not working on my pit.

Offline Marvin

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 08:36:27 PM »
U.S. Navy Fighters by Janes. Then every Janes Sim until falcon 4.

I tried SO hard to get into Janes Sims.  Bought them all, but they were like DCS for me today.  Could never get into them.  :(
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline James R. Stern

• Col.
  • André Middeldorf
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 12:18:08 AM »
Back in those days it was Origins Strike Commander. Also no real complex Sim I liked it a lot. And as its available via GOG.com I still play it today from time to time  ::)

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 01:52:44 AM »
Jane's had video clips of different Fighter Jets. I use to sit and watch those all the time.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 03:57:09 AM »
It was Sublogic's Flight Simulator II on the Amiga back in '87. Ultra-fun early project, where me and a friend set up two FM transmitters and receivers instead of the 'normal' 300Baud modems that were supported for 2-player mode. Then followed F-18 Interceptor (not really a sim), and Blue Angels both on the Amiga computer.

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 04:39:11 AM »
Tornado from digital integration,
and close behind, strike eagle III, especially playing from the backseat
then would be EF2000

all pretty centred on avionics and I loved them all
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 09:09:10 AM »
Tornado from digital integration,
and close behind, strike eagle III, especially playing from the backseat
then would be EF2000

all pretty centred on avionics and I loved them all

Yes!  I remember playing in the back seat of Janes F15 III with a null modem cable and that was back in 94 or something like that.  And we don’t have that today with BMS.  :(
" Where's the KABOOM! "

PePe

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »
Hmm, FS of course (from the first version !).

In terms of military jet sims, this is clearly Fleet Defender from Microprose.

First carrier flights, first backseat flights, first re-skin work (with Paint...)... mission editor with some nice stuff like Ready-5 and SAR able to launch from the carrier when events dictates... awesome experience.

I still have it on my computer, along with F-19, another sim I cherish.

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »
As much as appreciate more what we have today and that is dying sum community of high fidelity sims and so few of them.  I really do miss the 90s era when sims were released almost monthly and there were so many different ones to enjoy.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Offline Doc

• Brig.General
    • My pit
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 03:30:54 PM »
Back in those days it was Origins Strike Commander. Also no real complex Sim I liked it a lot. And as its available via GOG.com I still play it today from time to time  ::)

+1, flying through the canyons in a particular mission :thumbsup:
FCC3, Cougar MFD, Hispapanels-ICP, Pokeys56U, DIY-CPD, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php/topic,4239.0.html

Offline Fhyndoh

• Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »
Sierra's A-10 tankbuster II got me into jet sims, but i also enjoyed TIE Fighter. Then one of my friends asked me to help him work out how to play  a new sim he'd brought...that was F4, and the rest arrived in 3-4 weeks...
Gentlemen, it is time, don your cider visors and follow me!"

Cougar FCC#19 (01533), Homemade ICP, 2 masterpilots, CH pro pedals...empty wallet, BIG smile

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Lightning's Tools GitHub repository
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »
For me, one of the more fun & engaging sims of the 90's era was European Air War.

Offline Catcher

• Live fearless Live free
  • -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • Semper WiFi
  • VP Awards Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 01:39:18 AM »
I remember the very first sim; F19 on a monochrome screen
Then it was Retaliator, that blew me away.
Spend hours at F22 Red Sea operations, that give me the first real mission sensation.

And then there was that day I found a real F16 panel....

Now BMS is part of my life, and respect to the developping team :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal