• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by ChrispyBiscuit99
[Today at 06:49:56 AM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: BMS stick trim pitch problem  (Read 4393 times)

Offline bluc69

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • Luca "Merlin" Bolis
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
BMS stick trim pitch problem
« on: May 17, 2014, 08:50:24 AM »
I have installed the Trim Panel that now works with AIC pcb (thanks Arend!!).
Everything on the panel work correctly: as I rotate the three pots the plane trim as expected.

The problem is when I use the Hotas Stick trim: while the roll trim works correctly overriding the Trim Panel roll pot control, the pitch doesn't work.
If I move the hotas hat up or down the trim tries to move but then it seems that the pitch pot position takes the control and reset the trim.
I have disabled the pitch pot in the BMS setup and the stick regains its function.

Could someone tells me if this is a BMS bug or if I'm doing something wrong?

Offline bluc69

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • Luca "Merlin" Bolis
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: BMS stick trim pitch problem
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 09:54:17 AM »
UPDATE:
After some test I discovered it isn't a Trim problem as all the Trims work correctly.
It's just a problem with the needle that, for some reason, resets to the middle.

I have the same problem on AIC panel and on 3d cockpit...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:15:13 PM by bluc69 »

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »
You used the switch on the panel to select disc trim?

JJ

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »
Do you use XKEYS for the hatswitch on the SSC ??

Offline bluc69

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • Luca "Merlin" Bolis
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »
Solved!
It was just a problem with the pot's dead zone.

Offline Falcas

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • http://www.weapondeliveryplanner.nl
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 06:04:54 AM »
Hi,

If you use pots on the trim panel and actually use them in BMS as well, the axis will always overrule any other trim input. So as you said, you can use a large dead zone for the axis and never use the pods. IRL you will hardly (never) use these anyway, as you always use the hat switch. (its a pilot thing  ;) )
The other option, which I use, is not using a pot but rotary encoders. This way you can use both at the same time.

Gr Falcas

My site: Weapon Delivery Planner Ver 3.7.11.117
MC Ver 0.5.10.398
WC ver 1.3.0.11
Set HUD only 1.4.0
AIC ver 6.5.7

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 03:57:36 AM »
The best option IMHO is to make it work like the real thing. Use motorized pots, and make the stick hat operate the motors. Then read the pots in BMS

Offline MrWell

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 05:39:49 AM »
I'm in doubt with this too. Could motopots be operated manually too? and how can you control the motors with the stick clicks?.
Thanks!

Offline MrWell

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 05:20:33 PM »
Thanks Rufus,
I read Henkie thread and I had these motor pots located but I don´t understand the way the stick operates the motor.
Do you use pokeys (or other one) and when it receives an input from the stick trim it sends...what?.  I don't know how to make pokeys to operate a motor...  :brickwall:

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »
Yes - I'm planning to use Pokeys, but I haven't gotten to that point in my build yet.  What you'd need to do is write a macro in the Pokeys that will not only output the keystroke for the proper Trim input to the sim, but also activate the proper digital output pin at the same time.  At least that's what I'm thinking about doing - Pokeys has digital output pins and all you need do is determine if the motor needs to be run up or down and let a pin provide that output.  Looking at the spec for the pot's motor it looks like you may be able to do that directly from the Pokeys digital out pin, if it will supply 5 VDC.

Another one of the nice things about these pots is they are stereo...two channels - so you can use one channel for control and one for feedback. 
Then one of the channels on the pot can be fed to an analog input of the Pokeys and calibrated to the Trim position, and the other used to insure the pot position matches...or something like that - I'm still thinking... :notes: ...
- Rufus

Offline MrWell

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 03:11:53 AM »
OK, I think I got it. I didn't know outputs in HiGH could move a motor then I understand that one could move one way little by little and another to the other way but I'd rather use a Darlington transistor to supply the motor like with leds (ULN2803a).

Now, I know how to use a pot to control but I not very sure about the feedback one... thinking too  :reading:

I am not on the construction of that panel either but I like to have all PCBs and schematics before or at least know how it should be ;)

Thanks for the help! 

Offline MrWell

• General
    • Awards

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 03:44:42 AM »
IRL you will hardly (never) use these anyway, as you always use the hat switch. (its a pilot thing  ;) )
that's strange because my personnal experience is different :)
i hardly use the stick trims in bms and i always use the wheels on the mantrim :)
although irl, i do use the stick trim :)
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 04:12:19 AM »
What you'd need to do is write a macro in the Pokeys that will not only output the keystroke for the proper Trim input to the sim, but also activate the proper digital output pin at the same time.

Not a good idea. In my opinion you should not send keystrokes from HOTAS to BMS. Only the analog value of the pot. So it's either:

HOTAS trim -> motorized pot -> BMS

or

manually operating the pot -> BMS

If you send both keystrokes and analog values to BMS on will override the other

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal