* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: Hello from the US!  (Read 1290 times)

Offline boomba87

• Captain
  • Viper Pit Builder
    • Awards
Hello from the US!
« on: May 30, 2023, 09:26:54 PM »
Hello there fellow Viper enthusiasts! I’m currently constructing a mock pit loosely based on the F-16. I have the left console mostly built, it’s still in progress. I have quite a bit of references, mostly from the Google Drive of My Little Falcon.

You can follow my build on my Discord https://discord.gg/CyV44kq78s

I fly on DCS and this build will be set solely for DCS using arduino. I would like to be able to set it up for BMS as well but I have not yet encountered the necessary technical information for arduino based panels.

I 3D print my own parts from across the web and rely on PCFlights for the panels. I will also be using Hispapanels in the future.

In the Google Drive I found a set of measurements labeled “Vico Simpit” which I’ve made some modifications to as I built the console.

My carpentry skills are quite limited as are my tools, so for you skilled woodworkers, forgive the terrible cuts and gaps. Pretty much everything is going to be filled and sanded using wall spackle.

I’ve also prioritized the interior of the pit rather than the exterior, so once complete it will not look like the outside of a Viper. The entire emphasis is on my experience inside the cockpit.

I’ll wrap this introduction up and please feel free to join my Discord, say hi on the Falcon Lounge Discord!

Offline boomba87

• Captain
  • Viper Pit Builder
    • Awards
Re: Hello from the US!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 09:42:10 PM »
Here are some build photos... the upper structure of the console, the outer wall, is held together with clamps and tape. I'm not quite sold on how I'll have that set up at the moment. I need the wall for the chaff/flare dispense button, canopy switch, and spider lock. I have .stl files for the canopy jettison handle and a few other pieces that will add some "decoration" to the left console.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

You can see in the latter photos the old setup I was using with a sort of "tower" for the stick. A similar setup was used for the throttle. Up front I have a homemade UFC that uses an external keypad that I repainted and relabeled using HO scale model railroad decals; which was a rather painstaking process.

This will be replaced by either a 3D printed unit or a Simgears UFC.

One issue I have yet to tackle is backlighting. This is not extremely important to me at the moment however that will likely change.

Another consideration that I have at the moment is the ACES ejection seat. The Google Drive does have a considerable amount of information, blue prints, and plans for an ACES that I will eventually be getting around to.

The way I have the pit prioritized is to build the left console, the right console, then the main instrument panel and center pedestal.

The main instrument panel will use a viewport export for the MFD's, RWR, SAI, and probably the fuel flow meter. The plan is to use something like a 19in monitor and then use a sheet of plywood or MDF to create the proper cutouts for the MFD's and such.

I do not have a solution for the EHSI display currently.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 09:53:41 PM by boomba87 »

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 12:52:55 AM »
Welcome aboard! For a starter you're not doing bad at all. Check my pit build, and you'll see that i've also chosen the "cubical" tub design. I have split the panels bases into parts of plywood for easier installation and removal if necessary. It doesn't all have to look perfect, so long as it feels good for your flying experience. As about the ACES, i'd highly recommend Brenda's plans.
There's plenty of members in these premises that took this route. Do browse through the downloads section to check for files and instructions that will help you a lot. Reading through the whole forum would be nearly impossible, with all the info gathered here, enough for a lifetime of reading! Just search wisely.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Wolverine

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 12:40:57 PM »
Welcome!

sorry for my english!!                                                Italian journal of my pit!!

Offline boomba87

• Captain
  • Viper Pit Builder
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 02:24:00 PM »
Welcome aboard! For a starter you're not doing bad at all. Check my pit build, and you'll see that i've also chosen the "cubical" tub design. I have split the panels bases into parts of plywood for easier installation and removal if necessary. It doesn't all have to look perfect, so long as it feels good for your flying experience. As about the ACES, i'd highly recommend Brenda's plans.
There's plenty of members in these premises that took this route. Do browse through the downloads section to check for files and instructions that will help you a lot. Reading through the whole forum would be nearly impossible, with all the info gathered here, enough for a lifetime of reading! Just search wisely.   :ThumbsUp:

Brenda’s plans are the ones I’ve come across on this Google Drive. I still need to work on the printing size for the stencils. I haven’t looked deeply at the ACES yet.

Thank you for the support! I like the setup that I’ve chosen so far. It fits in my space that I have available for my flight sim setup. I will unfortunately have to move and delete some panels, which is fine.

Currently I won’t have room for the UHF control head, which again isn’t a huge issue as we barely use it in the sim and when I do use it, I can just use the virtual game cockpit.

Obviously I am using the winwing Orion base with the F-16 EX grip. I may just fork over the money for the smaller Gemini base that will allow me to have more room available for something like the UHF control head.

Offline Imperator

• Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 10:35:47 AM »
I fly on DCS and this build will be set solely for DCS using arduino. I would like to be able to set it up for BMS as well but I have not yet encountered the necessary technical information for arduino based panels.

Hi Boomba
I'm in the early stages of a desk pit and have been experimenting with BMSAIT for panels and control interface
https://github.com/HummerX/BMSAIT

Only done a couple of tests so far but seems to work well once you figure out how to add switches etc

Offline Foghorn

• Col.
  • Old F-16 Guy
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 12:28:42 PM »
Welcome aboard the crazy train!   **Cue Ozzy**
FOGHORN

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 11:47:52 PM »
Looking good!!! **Cue Ozzy again**

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal