* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 81
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: forum organisation feedback?  (Read 11781 times)

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
Re: forum organisation feedback?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2021, 09:09:36 AM »
The biggest complaint I read from the DCS builders (as they are the new ones to this community) is the registration on this forum.  So I suggest using a person that is more active and hasn't made a cockpit project post since 2015.  I get it people's interest come and go in this group.  The progress threads are proof of that.  And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that as it is JUST a hobby.  But if you are going to assign the registration to someone; assign it to someone who is willing to take on the responsibility to manage registrations regardless of their current interest level is with their own project.

And I am speaking from experience.  When I came back to this forum in 2015, I waited several weeks with no reply.  Finally I contacted Jay to get back in here who was not the registration guy.  That shit is unacceptable. 
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Rebel

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2021, 10:01:11 AM »
Just a suggestion but perhaps a "master" directory with verified info/reference for each panel?  I know when I was building up panels the needed info was spread throughout the site in various threads and you have to search multiple to come up with all of the accurate info.  Realizing 100% accuracy may not be available for all panels but we could start at the cockpit level and drill down to separate threads for each panel and in that thread have the best drawing/model available, best reference pics, best list of flight switches etc. and a moderator could maintain the configuration control.  I also realize that would be a big task but once you get it potted down, it's a great place to send new folks that are looking for the info to get their projects started.  I'd be willing to help as needed.

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2021, 10:14:00 AM »
Just a suggestion but perhaps a "master" directory with verified info/reference for each panel?  I know when I was building up panels the needed info was spread throughout the site in various threads and you have to search multiple to come up with all of the accurate info. 

For that a Wiki would be better. Normal post would just get buried under tons of off-topic chit-chat

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • Callsign: Vino
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2021, 11:02:39 AM »
Just a suggestion but perhaps a "master" directory with verified info/reference for each panel?  I know when I was building up panels the needed info was spread throughout the site in various threads and you have to search multiple to come up with all of the accurate info. 

For that a Wiki would be better. Normal post would just get buried under tons of off-topic chit-chat
I agree a Wiki would be great to gather all the amazing information from this forum.

Offline Nomad

• Col.
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 11:33:11 AM »
I agree with using Wiki. When you join VP you have to be willing to read and do research. There’s a ton of knowledge and experience based documentation on VP. But there is also a lot of off topic posts intermixed which makes sorting through posts a lot more time consuming. A master list would also help with that. Bickering between members should be done by PM and not on the forum. Just my two cents.
Bell206/407 EuroEC135/EC145/BK117/AS350B3E/B2
F16/P51/Cessna172/177/182/206/210/310

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2021, 11:50:11 AM »
Often attempted, hardly realised, never maintained
unfortunately
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Tulkas

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2021, 11:52:23 AM »
 I think something like that was done by Flareless, but all the links got broken on the last migration if I rememeber right? It is a huge task.

http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=2145.0

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2021, 12:15:41 PM »
That's why I'm talking about a real Wiki, not a forum post with links. Any solid info we have, 3d file, mil-spec, part nr, it goes there

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2021, 04:39:49 PM »
Hi Guys-

I've been busy with the holidays, and just getting caught up on forum discussions....  Maintaining this forum takes a big commitment of personal time.  Many of us have busy personal lives that limit how much time we can invest here, so having more people involved will surely help.

Need for better indexing / organization of information
The forum has grown dramatically, and information is now scattered throughout various topics.  Some is only posted in individual build threads, while other information is under topics.  We have tried to better index topics so information is easier to find, but it does tend to get out of control quickly.  Older members will remember attempts by Flareless and others to provide cross-references to common information.  There were also attempts to form groups / discussions around certain interfaces.  As Tulkas posted, most veterans can still navigate the forum find particular posts / information, and we don't want to lose anything in an effort to re-organize things. 

Making it easier for new members to join
Prior to Romanski screening new members, we had several hackers that disrupted Viperpits with SPAM.  There were several major crashes, that resulted in loss of many photos and postings.  Auke was critical in restoring and backing up our forum files when this happened.  New members are always wanted, but we do need to maintain some security to protect the integrity of the database.

More frequent updates of home page
I had attempted to create a "What's New?" portion on our home page, but didn't have the time to maintain it.  As I near retirement from professional work, I may have more time.  I'd welcome help in this area.

Offline warbirdguy1

• Col.
  • I know only enough to break something...
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Florida Combat Simulations
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2021, 05:54:26 PM »
Hi Guys-

I've been busy with the holidays, and just getting caught up on forum discussions....  Maintaining this forum takes a big commitment of personal time.  Many of us have busy personal lives that limit how much time we can invest here, so having more people involved will surely help.

The forum has grown dramatically, and information is now scattered throughout various topics.  Some is only posted in individual build threads, while other information is under topics.  We have tried to better index topics so information is easier to find, but it does tend to get out of control quickly.  Older members will remember attempts by Flareless and others to provide cross-references to common information.  There were also attempts to form groups / discussions around certain interfaces.  As Tulkas posted, most veterans can still navigate the forum find particular posts / information, and we don't want to lose anything in an effort to re-organize things. 

:hail: THIS THIS THIS  :hail:

Searching this site for even the most basic information feels like using a comb to sift thousands golf ball sized rocks.

So much incredible information out there but you need to sort through dozens of replies or happen to catch it in a inconspicuous spot.

A general Wiki would be incredible for the high level details and guides.

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • Callsign: Vino
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2021, 07:08:26 PM »
Hi Guys-

:hail: THIS THIS THIS  :hail:

Searching this site for even the most basic information feels like using a comb to sift thousands golf ball sized rocks.

So much incredible information out there but you need to sort through dozens of replies or happen to catch it in a inconspicuous spot.

A general Wiki would be incredible for the high level details and guides.

I wonder if we could use AI to get the data organized. Would be interesting to try and use some of the Microsoft Cognitive services to do that.

Offline Marvin

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2021, 10:38:13 PM »
And it still goes on.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Romanski

• MSC
  • Administrator
  • General
  • www.31st.nl
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2021, 02:03:52 AM »
And it still goes on.

Here is the screenshot of the guy you are pointing to. And screening of the newbies is not done while I am sleeping. So please stop complaining about this , because is going how is going till we have another solution. Many thanks.

"...Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die!
Won't you run, live to fly, fly to live, Aces high!"

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2021, 02:32:16 AM »
I’m not complaining.  I’m just reinforcing that this is the most common issue I’ve read or seen.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Offline Romanski

• MSC
  • Administrator
  • General
  • www.31st.nl
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2021, 04:27:58 AM »
I’m not complaining.  I’m just reinforcing that this is the most common issue I’ve read or seen.

As i see from the group where the discussion has been started by this new guy last evening , just before he registered, nobody has negative feedback.

"...Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die!
Won't you run, live to fly, fly to live, Aces high!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal