DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by Jakkuh-15
[April 17, 2024, 09:36:07 AM]

Hello from the UK! by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 09, 2024, 01:19:26 PM]

Hi! From Turkiye by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:23 PM]

Hello from Greece by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:06 PM]

Author Topic: Boards to interface with DCS  (Read 6555 times)

Offline Distracto

• 1st.LT
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
Boards to interface with DCS
« on: May 03, 2020, 02:13:27 AM »
Hi all,

I noticed that a lot of members here use falcon 4 for the sim. I got into simming through DCS, and I was curious if anyone out there had any ideas how I could interface my controls in the pit with DCS rather than falcon 4?

Looking forward to any help!
Briefing for today: Don't suck, don't crash.

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: Boards to interface with DCS
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 02:43:48 AM »
No personal experience here on DCS, but JShep's PSCockpit system supports it: http://psfalcon.blogspot.com/

Offline Snoopy

• General
  • Flying Snoopy Airways
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 04:30:02 AM »
Some Arduino boards are recognized by Windows as an USB joystick. They work with any simulation software. For example, this weekend I finished making my ICP. All buttons, switches and thumbwheels are recognized in Windows. I can use them in BMS but also in any other simulator or game. Connecting and programming them is quite easy. For Arduino you will need an Arduino Micro board with the correct chipset.

There are also other very cheap solution available which can work with buttons and switches and require no programming at all. I ordered this one:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000620083956.html
Hasn't vbeen delivered yet. Only drawback is that it can take only 12 buttons.

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 05:14:33 AM »
DCS is very complicate :( It is moer for Destop and VR Players. For Pit Builders it is the hell.. not just interfacing software. Also display extraction, reading out light status and so on... just pain  :brickwall:

That is the reason I stay at BMS and hope they will make the jump away from the 1998 code and DX9 engine in the near future…  :beer: I even would pay for BMS, no discussion.

Offline Snoopy

• General
  • Flying Snoopy Airways
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 08:27:05 AM »
The functionality of BMS and the visuals of DCS (or even better the new MS FlightSimulator) combined.  :yihaw:

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 09:53:30 AM »
Be patient...

Offline Romanski

• MSC
  • Administrator
  • General
  • www.31st.nl
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 02:20:34 PM »
Hi all,

I noticed that a lot of members here use falcon 4 for the sim. I got into simming through DCS, and I was curious if anyone out there had any ideas how I could interface my controls in the pit with DCS rather than falcon 4?

Looking forward to any help!

Check the DCS Forums , the 3  X-Keys interfaces which are for sale in the Classifieds are fully compatible and programable with DCS. You can use up to 128 switches with 1 interface .Of course you need panels and switches.
"...Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die!
Won't you run, live to fly, fly to live, Aces high!"

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 05:02:26 PM »
If you're looking to dual-seat, I think Pokeys or Arduino are the most flexible - and you may also find that using Ethernet over USB may bring some additional advantages when it comes to interface protocols.
- Rufus

Offline MrWell

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 05:06:01 PM »
I think PScockpit  https://psfalcon.blogspot.com is easier, more powerful and complete but you can use also this too https://dcs-bios.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
It is Arduino based.
Cheers

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 06:33:24 PM »
Be patient there is stuff coming down the line for BMS that is going to make it so much better than DCS than it already is.  I am not trying to start a turf war, I am just saying, in due time there are big changes coming.  So stick with BMS.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 06:40:03 PM »
I wish the folks at BMS would put an equivalent effort into a Hornet model as they have into their Viper...and I AM trying to start a turf war... :whistle: ...
- Rufus

Offline Marvin

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 06:41:57 PM »
I wish the folks at BMS would put an equivalent effort into a Hornet model as they have into their Viper...and I AM trying to start a turf war... :whistle: ...

I one of the strong voices to stop the hornet development!  :)
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 06:58:06 PM »
Both sims have pluses and minuses...I like competition - it gives all players reason to improve!

I wish they would take all of the alternate-aircraft options out until they are all up to similar standards, frankly.
- Rufus

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 06:59:41 PM »
Both sims have pluses and minuses...I like competition - it gives all players reason to improve!

BMS has always been split with guys that believe it is a VIPER sim and others that don't.  I certainly believe it will always be a VIPER sim.  ;)
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 07:00:44 PM »
Me too.  That's the main reason I refuse to fly anything BUT the Viper in it.
- Rufus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal