DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: XKeys  (Read 782 times)

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
XKeys
« on: January 12, 2017, 11:04:57 PM »
Hey guys,

I have an extremely dumb question here.  10 years ago when I built my last cockpit I was a COMPLETE moron that new nothing about this stuff and required a lot of help from guys like you to get me through it.  So 10 years later I still classify my self as COMPLETE moron as I am starting all over again.

So I decided to go with the Vipercore after checking many different options, and ordered a big load of it, and it looks like as though the solution for the switches is the Xkeys considering he has an adapter to help.

So looking at Xkeys, it appears to be set for 128 switches.

So if you can assist please:

First off, if I want to wire every switch for future implementations in BMS I obviously need more than 128 switches.  So I am guessing I can purchase two boards?

Secondly, when I am calculating how many switches I am using, IIRC I need to count each movement and not each switch correct?  For example a three position switch would be two slots and a rotary encoder that has lets say 4 positions needs four correct?

Thanks for the help guys!
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: XKeys
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 01:22:42 AM »
You are correct. I have 3 Xkeys in my pit. One for the ICP, and one for each console. Xkeys is perfect for the right console, but it is limited on the left console and ICP. The ICP has pots that the Xkeys cannot handle, and the left console has indicators and mag switches, which Arend's light board can handle. A Pokeys board would work well for the pots on the ICP.
 You are also correct about the switches in a way. When wiring up a two position switch, you will only need a common wire and a signal wire. ou can assign two movements to the switch action. Sort of like a toggle.
 If you have any issues just send me a pm. I can help you through it.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:12:15 AM »
A rotary switch of say 4 positions needs at least 3 "slots". If none of the 3 slots is active you can decide (in software) that the rotary switch is set at the 4th position.
A rotary encoder always needs just 2 "slots". That is inherent in how a rotary encoder works. Of course, if the rotary encoder also has a "push" switch contact, that switch contact would require another "slot".
You would need to check the XKEYS/PoKeys documentation whether rotary encoders are supported. The two "switch" contacts generate pulses which are always 90 degrees time shifted. Each transition is a "click", and depending on which of the two switch signals changes first you know the rotation direction. So, the two signals of a rotary encoders must be processed together and XKEYS/PoKeys must be told that there is a rotary encoder connected on two pins.

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 03:30:53 AM »
Rotary encoders can't be connected to xkeys, they are not supported. For encoders, i use Leo bodnar BU0836X.

i have two Xkeys in the pit and that's about just enough for the full pit including ICP and Mfds
3 would be better for wiring: one for left side, one for centre and one for right but there is almost nothing on the right side and a lot on the left side.
So i decided to place my two xkeys on the center console. One is distributed to the left and right and centre console, the other is for the ICP and MFDS and has a branch that goes the the left console to supplement the first Xkeys.
Maybe a little bit more complicated but that spared me buying a third one.

I just updated my old xkeys - which were not programmable under Win7 - but worked fine though - to newer boards that i can now program without the use of an old winXP laptop

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:46:25 AM by Red Dog »
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »
Guys,

Ok, great thank you so much for the information.  This helps a lot!   This is exciting buying and building all this stuff again.  The only down fall is I need to re-learn it all again.

I thank you for your time and patience!
Jody
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 12:01:17 PM »
 Xkeys allows you to assign either one or two "callbacks" for each position. To set up a two position switch, you have to use two "callbacks" for one position, like a toggle switch. To set up a 3 position switch you have to assign 2 toggles. The top position has two "callbacks" and the bottom position has two "callbacks".  One "callback" will be the position that you are going to and the other will be the "callback" for the center position. 

The only issue I found with Xkeys and rotary switches is that you can only assign one "callback" per position. For example, the Air Cond panel.  You have the "Off, Norm, Dump, and Ram" positions. You will have to wire up all 4 positions along with a "common". You can only assign one "callback" per position. The "Off" position is also assigned as a "callback". The reason for this is so that Xkeys will know which direction you are going. You cannot set up a rotary like a toggle switch because it confuses Xkeys. It will not know which way you want to toggle.

Rotaries are actually easier because you only have to assign one position. It just sounds harder with my long drawn out explanation. :whistle:

Red Dog is correct. Xkeys does not work with encoders or pots. You will have to use Pokeys or Bodnar or something else. I use Pokeys.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal