Mag switches with DCS by questerymj
[Today at 08:11:05 AM]

USAeroSim DCS F16c CDU Software by snakedoc
[May 10, 2024, 09:10:22 AM]

I am a newbie who took off from Japan sir by questerymj
[May 09, 2024, 09:12:07 AM]

Hello from Canada by RonD
[May 05, 2024, 04:00:22 PM]

Author Topic: Hello there  (Read 1261 times)

Offline snakedoc

• Lt. Col
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
Hello there
« on: October 30, 2023, 08:00:26 AM »
Hi everyone, new member here just got my registration approved today so thanks for that to begin with.

I've been flying DCS for a few years now and got obsessed with the F16C and so now I am in the process of designing and building a home pit for the viper. It all started with a TM warhog hotas and a couple of cubesim MFDs.

I will be doing a dedicated 3d but for now I've attached a couple of screenshot of my work. I took a lot of inspiration from "the warthog project" (YT) as how to design and build custom panels for my simpit. I have to give credit and thank the creator as he's been amazing putting online all his tips and guides on how to achieve this. So I have started designing my own panels which I will later cut & engrave out of acrylic sheets just like the warthog project.

I also have acquired some cockpit plans that I will be using to CNC MDF sheets to build a tub. This is the next major step. As I continue the work I will be uploading the progress and share the results

For now, a whole new forum is to be discovered.

cheers!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: Hello there
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 09:43:52 AM »
Welcome aboard! Nice panel design, are you following the standard panel dimensions, or is this something custom for your needs?

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 09:48:15 AM »
Welcome!

Before you start doing a lot of work, I advise you to read (many hours  :whistle:) several build threads in this forum. That might save you a lot of work, effort, time, and perhaps money.

Your drawings of the panels looks good, but keep in mind that building a pit costs a lot of time. So maybe, you have to decide where you can put in your precious time, and which parts can be bought. It is a trade off between time and money. And of course skills and available tools.
For example, @Knight sells very nice panels that can also be backlit.

So, take some time reading here. I can tell, it will not be wasted time  ;D

Needles to say, we like to see pictures as you progress with your build  :reading:

Offline snakedoc

• Lt. Col
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 11:40:36 AM »
Welcome aboard! Nice panel design, are you following the standard panel dimensions, or is this something custom for your needs?

hey thanks! It's kinda both. I'm following standard panel dimensions (as accurate as I can be) but what I've changed are for ex. the hole sizes in mm rather than inches since it's easier to find all the hardware with metric dimension here. The text, switch position, panel dimensions, corner radiuses etc are realistic

Welcome!

Before you start doing a lot of work, I advise you to read (many hours  :whistle:) several build threads in this forum. That might save you a lot of work, effort, time, and perhaps money.

Your drawings of the panels looks good, but keep in mind that building a pit costs a lot of time. So maybe, you have to decide where you can put in your precious time, and which parts can be bought. It is a trade off between time and money. And of course skills and available tools.
For example, @Knight sells very nice panels that can also be backlit.

So, take some time reading here. I can tell, it will not be wasted time  ;D

Needles to say, we like to see pictures as you progress with your build  :reading:

thank you! before showing up here I've done many (maybe too many lol) hours of researching and investigating but I'll be definitely dive into those threads to get few more ideas and inspirations.
Time/money subject: what I'm aiming for is a relatively "low cost" solution for a self build simpit (I know, crazy right?). I've seen many vendors offering panels ready to go but in order to keep costs down I'm planning to do most of the panels by myself (minus the ICP for example) so if I need I can tailor them to my needs (e.g. the backlight circuit will be my own contraption). That's why I like the approach that "the warthog project" took as its effective at keeping costs down with an excellent end result.

Will it be mil-spec with real switches etc? No, but it will be as close as possible while trying to contain the expenses.

Off to the CNC shop tomorrow, pics to come!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 11:52:41 AM by snakedoc »

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 03:43:05 PM »
I am sure you will enjoy (or already did enjoy) @salaxi54 's build thread.

He is the master (IMHO) in making cool stuff from "garbage"  :hail:

Offline snakedoc

• Lt. Col
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 06:52:10 AM »
I am sure you will enjoy (or already did enjoy) @salaxi54 's build thread.

He is the master (IMHO) in making cool stuff from "garbage"  :hail:

Just realised about your build. My god that’s impressive!

Offline Wolverine

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 08:40:18 AM »
Welcome!  :cheerleader:

sorry for my english!!                                                Italian journal of my pit!!

Offline snakedoc

• Lt. Col
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 03:44:48 PM »
grazie!

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 06:45:26 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
The Admins would like to welcome you to Viperpits!

As you have noticed, we have many types of members here on Viperpits.

Some fly exclusively BMS Falcon, while others fly DCS or other flight simulator platforms. We even have members building non-F-16 cockpits.
All are welcome, as building techniques and interfacing are similar.

Many of us have been on this forum for 10years or more (still building and upgrading our builds). There is a lot of great material posted somewhere on this forum.

HINT #1: Try to use the "SEARCH" option first when you have a question. Searches are best done from the main home or main forum pages. If you try searching while viewing on a specific topic or post, the search may only look within that topic's posting, rather than ALL the forum postings. You will save lots of time (and money) if you see how other people have done things before trying it yourself.

Hint #2: We all learn from each other, and we love to see PHOTOS of your current projects. When you post an update, there is an option to upload photos (ATTACHMENTS) and insert them anywhere in your posting. We prefer uploading to the forum using attachments, rather than using the "Insert Image" icon. This avoid lost images and lost links in the future.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 06:50:33 PM by Sandman »

Offline snakedoc

• Lt. Col
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 06:29:32 PM »
:ThumbsUp:
The Admins would like to welcome you to Viperpits!

As you have noticed, we have many types of members here on Viperpits.

Some fly exclusively BMS Falcon, while others fly DCS or other flight simulator platforms. We even have members building non-F-16 cockpits.
All are welcome, as building techniques and interfacing are similar.

Many of us have been on this forum for 10years or more (still building and upgrading our builds). There is a lot of great material posted somewhere on this forum.

HINT #1: Try to use the "SEARCH" option first when you have a question. Searches are best done from the main home or main forum pages. If you try searching while viewing on a specific topic or post, the search may only look within that topic's posting, rather than ALL the forum postings. You will save lots of time (and money) if you see how other people have done things before trying it yourself.

Hint #2: We all learn from each other, and we love to see PHOTOS of your current projects. When you post an update, there is an option to upload photos (ATTACHMENTS) and insert them anywhere in your posting. We prefer uploading to the forum using attachments, rather than using the "Insert Image" icon. This avoid lost images and lost links in the future.

thank you Sandman!

I have started a dedicated post for my build (couple of pictures inside already) :)

"The Viper Project"

Offline Boomer

• LT. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h239/jimhinkle/boomer/bb1.jpg
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2023, 10:35:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum!!!
Democracy is two wolves voting on what's for dinner, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal