ACES II L + R LOWER KNEE STRUCTURE by Kukki
[January 15, 2018, 04:57:31 AM]

ACES II SEAT RAIL - Aluminum Extrusion by Kukki
[January 10, 2018, 10:48:42 AM]

Sim-ACES II - SEATPAN by foxw
[January 09, 2018, 09:03:16 PM]

Azul's Pit by Willy
[January 08, 2018, 01:23:40 PM]

Author Topic: Henkie's pit  (Read 481973 times)

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: Henkie's pit
« Reply #1275 on: January 07, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »
That is super cool Henk, and I love "because I can"   that benefits so many of the rest of us inhere.
Super cool project my friend  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Keep on going strong Henk  :beer: :vprules:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1276 on: January 07, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »
...you've reached all the conclusions on the altimeter that I myself had surmised, Henkie... :whistle: .

Fantastic that you've got a pro-sim instrument in hand... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #1277 on: January 11, 2018, 02:26:46 PM »
During the Season Holidays I had planned to finalize my Altimeter design.
I soldered the Altimeter PCB and mounted it on a "carrier" PCB so that the module can be installed in the 19" rack in my pit. That work is done. I also soldered 3 audio mono amplifier kits and mounted them on an other "carrier" PCB with a heat sink for the three LM1875 amplifier ICs. The heat sink gets a little warm. I do not like electronics getting warm, so I mounted two very small fans on the heat sink for some forced air flow.
Then I mounted the two Altimeter modules together with an 115V AC 400 Hz power supply in the 19" rack. All set to do the final test (this setup had already worked. but that was  a bench setup with lots of "air" wires).

After checking the wiring for a last time, I turned on the power. The +24V power supply went into "hick-up" mode (start up, detect too much current is drawn, shut down, start up again, detect ... etc). That happens when there is for example a short circuit (more Amps drawn than the PSU can deliver). The -24V power supply was just fine. Did I goof up and did I have created somewhere in the integration of all electronics some short circuit?
I disconnected the Altimeter modules, but the +24V PSU kept on hicking. As the only difference now was only the 115V AC 400 Hz PSU, I had to remove it from the rack to check it.

To my surprise, when I set the Fluke multimeter to "peak hold", I discovered that the rush-in current is almost 2 Amps. On the bench I have for experiments a +24V and -24V PSU that can deliver 2.5 Amps. In my tests with the altimeter *only*, all was fine. But when I wanted to test with the integrated 19" rack setup, I tried to power *two* of those 115V AC 400 Hz modules, and both get their power from the +24V. Rush-in current would thus be approx 4 Amps. Just too much. In my pit this would have worked fine (+24V 10 Amps available), but on the test bench it fails.
So much for my "altimeter finalization" during the Season Holidays. I ordered two +24V PSU 6.5 Amps on eBay. Those arrived this week. Here is the final altimeter setup, ready to be installed in the pit. It works as expected   ;D

Offline Blaze

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #1278 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:20 PM »
Wow Henkie!

This is so over my head, but hey, very professional work man!

Blaze

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #1279 on: January 12, 2018, 02:49:51 AM »
Thanks Blaze,
but it is not that difficult.
Just putting things together and taking time to do it right (and clean)  :D
You're doing something similar by putting the power supplies in the 19" rack!

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1280 on: January 12, 2018, 03:59:01 AM »
Total cool Henkie  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep on that path and you will "soon" be flying  :vprules:  :beer:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline AlbertJ

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1281 on: January 14, 2018, 05:26:42 AM »
Excellent work henkie :thumbsup:

Always working so clean and neat. I Really like it  :biggrin:

Offline Keule

• 1st.LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #1282 on: January 14, 2018, 08:31:10 AM »
Oh wow, this looks very professional.
To much for me and my budget   :countingmoney:

BG
Keule

Offline Catcher

• Live fearless live free
  • -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • Homebuild
  • VP Awards : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1283 on: January 15, 2018, 06:41:27 AM »
These are incredible times, all I seem to say is 'amazing'  8)

So many great pits are being build

Great job Henkie :thumbsup: