HUDCAM by Kukki
[April 19, 2018, 03:01:33 AM]

HUDBLOCK SUPPORT BRACKET by Kukki
[April 19, 2018, 02:59:25 AM]

ICP BACKPLATES US AND NATO VERSIONS by Kukki
[April 19, 2018, 02:43:50 AM]

ACES II - KNEEGUARDS by Rufus
[April 18, 2018, 08:45:02 PM]

Author Topic: Henkie's pit  (Read 546436 times)

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: Henkie's pit
« Reply #1275 on: January 07, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »
That is super cool Henk, and I love "because I can"   that benefits so many of the rest of us inhere.
Super cool project my friend  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Keep on going strong Henk  :beer: :vprules:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1276 on: January 07, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »
...you've reached all the conclusions on the altimeter that I myself had surmised, Henkie... :whistle: .

Fantastic that you've got a pro-sim instrument in hand... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #1277 on: January 11, 2018, 02:26:46 PM »
During the Season Holidays I had planned to finalize my Altimeter design.
I soldered the Altimeter PCB and mounted it on a "carrier" PCB so that the module can be installed in the 19" rack in my pit. That work is done. I also soldered 3 audio mono amplifier kits and mounted them on an other "carrier" PCB with a heat sink for the three LM1875 amplifier ICs. The heat sink gets a little warm. I do not like electronics getting warm, so I mounted two very small fans on the heat sink for some forced air flow.
Then I mounted the two Altimeter modules together with an 115V AC 400 Hz power supply in the 19" rack. All set to do the final test (this setup had already worked. but that was  a bench setup with lots of "air" wires).

After checking the wiring for a last time, I turned on the power. The +24V power supply went into "hick-up" mode (start up, detect too much current is drawn, shut down, start up again, detect ... etc). That happens when there is for example a short circuit (more Amps drawn than the PSU can deliver). The -24V power supply was just fine. Did I goof up and did I have created somewhere in the integration of all electronics some short circuit?
I disconnected the Altimeter modules, but the +24V PSU kept on hicking. As the only difference now was only the 115V AC 400 Hz PSU, I had to remove it from the rack to check it.

To my surprise, when I set the Fluke multimeter to "peak hold", I discovered that the rush-in current is almost 2 Amps. On the bench I have for experiments a +24V and -24V PSU that can deliver 2.5 Amps. In my tests with the altimeter *only*, all was fine. But when I wanted to test with the integrated 19" rack setup, I tried to power *two* of those 115V AC 400 Hz modules, and both get their power from the +24V. Rush-in current would thus be approx 4 Amps. Just too much. In my pit this would have worked fine (+24V 10 Amps available), but on the test bench it fails.
So much for my "altimeter finalization" during the Season Holidays. I ordered two +24V PSU 6.5 Amps on eBay. Those arrived this week. Here is the final altimeter setup, ready to be installed in the pit. It works as expected   ;D

Offline Blaze

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #1278 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:20 PM »
Wow Henkie!

This is so over my head, but hey, very professional work man!

Blaze

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1279 on: January 12, 2018, 02:49:51 AM »
Thanks Blaze,
but it is not that difficult.
Just putting things together and taking time to do it right (and clean)  :D
You're doing something similar by putting the power supplies in the 19" rack!

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1280 on: January 12, 2018, 03:59:01 AM »
Total cool Henkie  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep on that path and you will "soon" be flying  :vprules:  :beer:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline AlbertJ

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1281 on: January 14, 2018, 05:26:42 AM »
Excellent work henkie :thumbsup:

Always working so clean and neat. I Really like it  :biggrin:

Offline Keule

• 1st.LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #1282 on: January 14, 2018, 08:31:10 AM »
Oh wow, this looks very professional.
To much for me and my budget   :countingmoney:

BG
Keule

Offline Catcher

• Live fearless Live free
  • -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • Semper WiFi
  • VP Awards : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1283 on: January 15, 2018, 06:41:27 AM »
These are incredible times, all I seem to say is 'amazing'  8)

So many great pits are being build

Great job Henkie :thumbsup:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #1284 on: January 21, 2018, 07:37:31 AM »
Guys,
I am looking for a specification sheet of the SimTek "Simulated Standby Attitude Indicator".
I have one spec sheet From @Willy) IIRC, but the pin out does not match the SimTek SADI that I have.
The spec sheet that I have lists the following pin out.
A  +15V power
B  -15V power
C  +/-10 VDC Sin signal (pitch servo)
D  +/-10 VDC Cos signal (pitch servo)
E  signal return (pitch servo)
CC +/-10 VDC Sin signal (roll servo)
DD +/-10 VDC Cos signal (roll servo)
EE signal return (roll servo)
K  power return
L  Roll null test
M  28V (power failure flag)
N  28V return (power failure flag)
R  chassis GND
S  5V lighting
T  lighting return
LL Pitch null test
V  switch input (cage switch)
W  switch circuit make (cage switch)

However, the pin designation of the SimTek SADI that I have is different!
There is no CC, DD, EE, and LL!  All pins have only one letter.

So, I guess there must be a different spec sheet somewhere ...
On the SimTek INC web site is not much for us hobbyists  :(

Thanks for any info,  :notes:
Henk

Offline String

• Lt. Col
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • iNFLIGHT Aviation
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1285 on: January 21, 2018, 10:46:21 AM »
Henkie,
This pinout is for the SIMTEK 10-1084 SAI. I hope this helps you out.

:vprules:

String

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #1286 on: January 22, 2018, 11:33:11 AM »
Thanks @String   :beer:

In the mean time a got a bit wiser, and now I know that there are several models SAI.
the model 101084 is not the one that I have.
The one that I have is 10-0335-01. I learned that from @Nigel  and he had the pin out too  :thumbsup:

And I have the pin out of yet an other SAI from SimTek ... they all 3 have different pin outs!
So, before connection a SImTek SAI, make sure you know the model number!

I hope to do some tests this week to (carefully) verify the pin out.
After that, I can finish the "PHCC SinCos" daughter board  :whistle:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #1287 on: February 02, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »
Guys,
I am working on an interface for a SimTek Standby ADI.
The SimTek SADI uses two DC voltages as signals to drive the PITCH indication, and two DC voltages as signals to drive the ROLL indication. The relation between the two DC voltages is that one is a sine value of the setpoint angle and the other is a cosine value of the setpoint angle. In short, the PITCH indication needs a sin/cos signal and the ROLL indication needs a sin/cos signal.

I started a design for the SADI only, but when that was finished (not tested) I noticed that I had just enough I/O pins remaining for yet two additional pairs of sin/cos signals. So, I updated the initial design to 4 sin/cos signal pairs. 2 sin/cos pairs are needed for the SADI. The other 2 sin/cos pairs can be used for another instrument that needs 2 pairs of sin/cos signals, but it can also be used as sin/cos pairs for two indicator instruments.
This board supports the OFF flag of the SADI and reads the PULL TO CAGE knob. When the PULL TO CAGE switch is activated the SADI automatically goes to "horizontal-leveled". There is one "free" digital output left.
But it is a rather "big" board. However, I did the design in such a way, that you can pull all ICs (and passives) so that only the SADI interface hardware remains.
Using OSH PARK they report that the PCB measures 3.9" x 3.8" and will cost $74.05. That is for 3 boards, excluding shipping cost and taxes! Thus, the bare board will cost approx $35.

Then I figured that not much people will have "lots" of (expensive) SimTek simulation instruments, so this design supporting 4 sin/cos pairs would probably be overkill.
Taking the best part of a Friday afternoon, I removed all electronics for the 3rd and 4th sin/cos pair and did a redesign of the board layout. This design of course also supports the OFF flag and the PULL TO CAGE switch. There are five free digital (on/off) outputs for any purpose.
Again, using OSH PARK they report that the PCB measures 3.8" x 2.8" and will cost $49.35. That is for 3 boards, excluding shipping cost and taxes! Thus, the bare board will cost approx $25.

Both designs support a USB connection or the PHCC DOA connection (jumper selectable).
As the SimTek SADI requires +15VDC and -15VDC power supply, my design also uses these power supply voltages. One connector on the board connects to +/-15V power supply, and one connector connects the SADI. That's all ... well, that is besides the power supply for the SADI OFF flag. The SADI specifies 28VDC, but I tested that the flag works just fine with "standard available" 24VDC.

I used OSH PARK, because their website creates a nice view of the board. However, I will use Itead (China) for manufacturing the boards. They are cheaper than the quoted cost from OSH PARK, and even then, instead of 3 boards we get 10 boards. Result: the boards will be at least 50% cheaper!  The only "drawback" is that the boards will not be purple, but green. Given the much lower cost I can live with the "standard green".

What's next?
I will build a breadboard version to verify proper operation of the design. I use a filter in the design for a smooth movement of the sphere. Maybe that is not needed. In that case the board size will be smaller, but the way Itead works, it will not make a difference in the cost. Anyway, Itead is always cheaper than OSH PARK (or other board manufacturers!) Depending on interest I will make one PCB design. If there is no interest, I will build just one for myself using the point-to-point wiring.

Components used are one PIC 18F2550, one DC/DC converter (+5V output), one 10-bit DAC per sin/cos pair and a few cheap OpAmps, estimated 40/80 resistors and 30/60 capacitors.

Soooo, the big question: who is interested and in which PCB version?
Personally, I prefer the smaller "dedicated" version  :whistle:
BTW, the smaller version can also be used for something else than a SADI (as long it requires sin/cos signals   :D )

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #1288 on: February 02, 2018, 05:21:19 PM »
Then I figured that not much people will have "lots" of (expensive) SimTek simulation instruments, so this design supporting 4 sin/cos pairs would probably be overkill.
4 SIN/COS pairs is not really a lot - you need 2 pairs just for the ADI, and if you want to drive something like a simulator HSI, you'll need a whole lot more than that...in which case other solutions may be more appropriate. 

For anyone who has a lot of SINCOS outputs they want to support - Nigel and I and a few others on here are using the Analog Devices EVAL-AD537x series boards for years.  These are available in a 40 channel USB version for under $100. This card has the ability to drive virtually any linear unipolar 0-10V DC simulator instrument as well as virtually any bipolar +/-10VDC SIN/COS instrument (or any other signalling scheme you can fit into a 20V DC range). 

Offline Moon

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1289 on: February 02, 2018, 06:25:44 PM »
Henkie, you could try seeedstudio.com. I have had a board made by them and the quality and delivery time was on par with itead.

They also appear to offer colours at no additonal cost, (not purple, but red, yellow, blue, white and black).

Your boards look to be within 100mm x 100mm.  Seeedstudio will make 10x boards for US$4.90.