* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 116
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: How to Setup Lightning's CPD  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: How to Setup Lightning's CPD
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »
Dive for a cockpit with most of the hardware is running on 12v and 5v + some small else volts, a 650W Modular PSU will do it, no problem.

But then I have not counted panel backlight if you have real panels, cause those takes a lot of power.

so for HW PCB´s all caution, warning, indexer, instrument light + screens in the pit then a 650W psu will do.

you might have to split the wires from the psu 12v and 5v to multible groups for not to overload just one set of wires to the 5v and the 12v

from a PC psu there goes many 12v + and 5v +  out from it and the gnd is the same, but also have many wires.  that is due to reduce the load on the wires, and more easy to split to different devices.

But you will learn.

First you can look at all you devices to see how much watt each of them take og you can se the volts and multiply it with the amps then you get the watt.
Look at the type of bulbs you are using, and calculate those to, and so on then you can have an approx amount of watt.

I dident even bother calculate all my stuff, cause rough I had plenty of power for the above mention in a 650 psu.

But I have to plan and calculate the backlight for my real panels, cause those are 5V + ALOT of amps +40 and that is demanding many groups and thick wires on each group.

I sure hope you get it sorted, but you have to put your head into it :-)

Kukki
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:01:18 PM by Kukki »

Offline Dive

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 01:27:58 PM »
Dive for a cockpit with most of the hardware is running on 12v and 5v + some small else volts, a 650W Modular PSU will do it, no problem.

But then I have not counted panel backlight if you have real panels, cause those takes a lot of power.

so for HW PCB´s all caution, warning, indexer, instrument light + screens in the pit then a 650W psu will do.

you might have to split the wires from the psu 12v and 5v to multible groups for not to overload just one set of wires to the 5v and the 12v

from a PC psu there goes many 12v + and 5v +  out from it and the gnd is the same, but also have many wires.  that is due to reduce the load on the wires, and more easy to split to different devices.

But you will learn.

First you can look at all you devices to see how much watt each of them take og you can se the volts and multiply it with the amps then you get the watt.
Look at the type of bulbs you are using, and calculate those to, and so on then you can have an approx amount of watt.

I dident even bother calculate all my stuff, cause rough I had plenty of power for the above mention in a 650 psu.

But I have to plan and calculate the backlight for my real panels, cause those are 5V + ALOT of amps +40 and that is demanding many groups and thick wires on each group.

I sure hope you get it sorted, but you have to put your head into it :-)

Kukki

@Kukki

Kukki...thank you so much.  I'm ordering a Corsair 650 PSU.  I appreciate your articulate answers more than you know. 

@JCook sent me a list of technical electronics training videos from YouTube and I'm going to watch them until I have a better grasp of power. 

You are a great dude Kukki.  I feel lucky to have your advice.

Best to you.

Matt

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:01:44 PM by Kukki »
INTEL i-5 4690K 3.5GHZ, Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCI-EXPRESS, ASUS Z97-A, AC 97 DIRECT 3D SOUND INTEGRATED, 8GB PC17000/2133Hz, Corsair Vengeance C70 Military Green, SAMSUNG 850 PRO, CORSAIR 750W SLI, Sony KDL-60W800B

GammaRayV2, ElectonFlux, Plasma MM2

Offline Dive

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 08:37:07 AM »
INTEL i-5 4690K 3.5GHZ, Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCI-EXPRESS, ASUS Z97-A, AC 97 DIRECT 3D SOUND INTEGRATED, 8GB PC17000/2133Hz, Corsair Vengeance C70 Military Green, SAMSUNG 850 PRO, CORSAIR 750W SLI, Sony KDL-60W800B

Offline Taipan

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 04:53:38 PM »
"If the heat don't get you........"

Offline Dive

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 04:59:41 PM »
Can anyone tell me if this is the right power plug for the CPD?  Anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/12V-Power-Adapter-Supply-2-5mm/dp/B00447C4HM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422451849&sr=8-2&keywords=12vdc+1000ma+power+supply+2.5mm
This is the DC connector
http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/712A/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhTlifiILeZmgk5NA%252bk9hGBXIaaw3%252bTR2M%3d
The mouser part suggests a 2.5mm inside diameter - as does your power supply. if I'm reading it right
t

@Taipan

I'm looking for the whole power supply, not the plug in jack. There are so many people here with CPDs.  Someone has to know.   :(

Offline Taipan

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »
I'm looking for the whole power supply, not the plug in jack. There are so many people here with CPDs.  Someone has to know.   :(
Ahh - ok

In that case, I don't know that there is one "right plug" then - there is a right physical plug of course... You need a DC supply, at the right voltage, with enough power.

For the right power pack, you need to be sure that you can supply enough amps to the card you are using - at the right voltage. I am not using anything special. I have a 40w 12v DC power supply that I use for other gear, and will include the screen when I get to it... I'm sharing multiple devices on the one supply. At the moment with a very low load it doesn't mater, but once I have all devices setup I will have to calculate my total requirements, and install a DC ammeter and circuit breaker to manage the power distribution safely.

Its been a while since I did my CPD run so I forget the specs on the VGA driver card. What is the model you have ? You should be able to google the specifications of the card and it will tell you how much power you need for that one card.

Try google the card specs / manual for now and let us see the card specs.

Offline Dive

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
@Taipan

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response. That's very nice of you.

Unfortunately, I have no information about the CPD to answer any of the questions you ask or to consider any of the recommendations you offer.

I bought one of the 30 CPDs that were produced by Mike and Jay and Chris and whoever else might have been involved with the project.  Unfortunately for me, it did not come with a PDF to explain what parts were used.  It came in a box while I was deployed overseas and away from the pit building community and now people have kind of moved on.  It didn't come with a power plug and I've seen recommendations but what I would prefer to do is wait for someone who has one of the ones like the one I am using to tell me concretely that "this power adapter is the right power adapter", so I don't fry my $2000 toy.  For $15, I don't know why it wasn't included in the $2000ish price.  I'm a little frustrated and I'm venting and will probably regret writing this, but right now I'm being very honest after having begged for an answer to the question, from someone who has one of these, for a long time now.  I'm always very thankful to all who offer their help and their guidance.  This may be a simple thing to figure out for those who are intimate with the hardware used on the CPD, but for someone who wasn't involved in building it and wasn't around when everyone else was implementing theirs, I feel like I've been left in the lurch and it's frustrating.

At this point, I am ready to pour gas on this thing...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:30:16 PM by Dive »

Offline Venom

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 07:27:10 PM »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/mthatdan/IMG_4620_zps9jamfrfd.jpg
How to Setup Lightning's CPD

Matt, here is what I've been using, without troubles, forever.
I don't have the tip dimensions and the tip polarity is reversible.
Got it at Radio Shack, IIRC.

Let me know if you need more info. 

Offline Taipan

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 12:49:22 AM »
No need for that - they are awesome units... Like 90% if the stuff we do in pit building, they don't have manuals so we have to persevere as best we can. I'm not an electronics whiz at all - if I can do it, I reckon anyone can..!

Actually I think Chris and Jay built the units in the first run. Trust me - that is a pretty tough job and the guys deserve a medal for doing them... I burnt my hands with the soldering iron about 20 times.. :stupid:

In answer to your original question - as Venom suggested it would probably be ok with your choice because it seems similar to his in capacity...  However I checked the chinatobby site where they sell lots of 10.4" screens & controllers, and they are recommending power supplies in that range. That's not the best logic for purchasing, but without the part number I can't tell.

IIRC the data interface is a 30-pin D-sub. you have to connect that to an x-keys or bodnar bu0836x, or similar. You will need the matrix diagram for that - do you have it ?

Offline Dive

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/mthatdan/IMG_4620_zps9jamfrfd.jpg

Matt, here is what I've been using, without troubles, forever.
I don't have the tip dimensions and the tip polarity is reversible.
Got it at Radio Shack, IIRC.

Let me know if you need more info.

@Venom

Thank you so much man.  This is exactly the information I was looking for.  I appreciate you for taking the time to crawl into your pit to take the pic.  Awesome!

Offline Dive

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »
No need for that - they are awesome units... Like 90% if the stuff we do in pit building, they don't have manuals so we have to persevere as best we can. I'm not an electronics whiz at all - if I can do it, I reckon anyone can..!

Actually I think Chris and Jay built the units in the first run. Trust me - that is a pretty tough job and the guys deserve a medal for doing them... I burnt my hands with the soldering iron about 20 times.. :stupid:

In answer to your original question - as Venom suggested it would probably be ok with your choice because it seems similar to his in capacity...  However I checked the chinatobby site where they sell lots of 10.4" screens & controllers, and they are recommending power supplies in that range. That's not the best logic for purchasing, but without the part number I can't tell.

IIRC the data interface is a 30-pin D-sub. you have to connect that to an x-keys or bodnar bu0836x, or similar. You will need the matrix diagram for that - do you have it ?

@Taipan

The good news, I didn't pour gas on it.  It was a fleeting temptation that I knew would pass. 

@Sandman was awesome in providing a very clearly written description of the DB 37 connector so no worries there.  I had found the other wiring diagram after hours of scrubbing through pit progress reports but I could not find power supply information anywhere and no one was chiming in for weeks and weeks that. A few people were like, "I did it like this" or "I did it like that", but nothing simple or specific about a power supply.  I know the CPD was no small task and know how amazing the work by Chris and Jay is.  I would never take anything away from that.  They are big heros.  Everyone knows that. :)

I realize that everyone does everything differently and that there isn't a standard.  Some people know power and wiring and are comfortable running 12V power to a power connector from a PSU into the CPD, but that's not me.  I just wanted a wall plug with the correct 12V power but I didn't know how many amps it needed or how much wattage was required. 

I've settled on this, as I think it will work after seeing Venom's connector and having you second my idea.  It says it's 12VDC 1000mA (1A) Regulated Power Supply, 5.5MM x 2.5MM, so hopefully this is going to work.

Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:21:32 PM by Dive »

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 01:30:06 AM »
RE: Power Supply for CPD Project

The CPD has two separate power connections...

1) LED BACKLIGHTS
The backlights require 12VDC and are supplied via Pin 37 (+12VDC) and Pin 18 (GND) of the DB37 connector, as described in the schematic above.  There are two types of LEDs used, the 30 LEDs around the pushbuttons are small SMD type LEDs, and the 14 LEDs for the control Panel Backlights are regular leaded LEDs.  (See PCB photo below).  I do not have the specs on these LEDs, but they typically have a Vf of 2-3V cannot handle more than 20mA (If<20mA).  I have not measured the total current draw, but it should be modest (less than 250mA).

2) LCD POWER
The "run #2" LCD is powered through a 12VDC power jack (center POS) that connects to the VGA interface and then to the LED backlight inverter.  I don't know the specs, but I've seen recommendations for 30-40watt "brick" 12VDC supplies for 10.4" LCDs.  I don't know if this is over-kill and they would run fine on lower powered wall-wart type of power supplies.

The original CPD project by Jay & Chris had a little different VGA screen with a special power unit mounted inside the CPD case.  I don't have details on that unit, as it was no longer available from the suppliers when we sourced "run #2".  Run #1 was produced as an assembled unit.  To save time and cost, Run #2 was produced as a  "build it yourself" kit, so the power plug and external power supply made sense here.  We didn't supply the power adapters because each country has their own version for their power grid and many people have a spare 12V in their junk electronics drawer.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k578/VPSandman/photo-79_zpskoz1mwc9.jpg

PCB Board used on Run #1 & #2.
Rectangular yellow LEDs are seen between silver SMD pushbuttons around the screen.
Round yellow LEDS on bottom of PCB are for backlighting the CPD Bottom Panel

Offline Venom

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 10:55:35 AM »
^ right.
The picture that I posted is for the lcd screen only.

The 12v for the led lights I run from a separate source in my pit.

Of course if you just want to get the screen working, you can do that without the button leds.
The leds can be powered later when you get to wiring up the buttons.

Offline Dive

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 02:14:10 PM »
Gentlemen,

I managed to find the correct power source.  Thank you to all who contributed your knowledge.

I attempted to wire the CPD last night according to the diagram.  The diagram uses a DB37 and on that DB37, 3 of the pins are identified as not being connected.  I incorrectly deduced from this that the IDC34 cable from my GammaRay was the interface intended for use with this wiring schematic.  Now that I've wired it, I think I am completely wrong and I think that schematic was intended for use with some other interface. 

It's sucky, I was so proud of my work.  What is crazy is that the NAV mode selector worked.  But none of the other switches or bezel buttons worked with this.  I'm certain that me wiring things is like giving a hand grenade to a monkey. 

Do any of you Beta Innovations guys have a wiring schematic for use with a GammaRay?  Is there a chance? 

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »
Dive you cant connect the CPD bezels push buttons to the Gammaray.

Gammaray V2 is for direct input
CPD is for matrix input, so you need a mm2 more

you can connect the roteryes and toggle switches to the Gammaray V2.
(Your nav mode is a rotary selector, and works with a common gnd and connect input, that is WHY that one work)

When ever there is ROW and COL (Colon) involved its a matrix connect layout.

Lets talk it over when I get the firmware for the E-Flux.

But basic the CPD connects the same waay as your mfd´s and ICP
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:33:42 PM by Kukki »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal