There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by ChrispyBiscuit99
[Today at 06:49:56 AM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: Aircraft Cockpit Clocks  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
Aircraft Cockpit Clocks
« on: February 05, 2017, 11:34:12 PM »
Hey guys,

One of my prize possessions right now is my Cockpit clock.  lol  During my last build I was never able to find one of these in good shape or at a decent price.  Well I found this baby, and she is certainly in mint shape and I absolutely love it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/sixdelta/F-16%20Block%2052%20PX%20III/Image2_zpsgrfnhext.png
Aircraft Cockpit Clocks

I have a question though for those who have these.  According to the manual everything works as advertised, however.  The manual indicates when winding to wind counterclockwise until you feel tension.  Well, although winding makes the clock work, and it has been keeping accurate time for several days, I don't seem to get the tension?  I have literally spun it about 50 times and still no tension.  Certainly not a deal breaker for me as it works fine without reaching tension, but just curious if I am reading the manual properly?

Thanks
Jody
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: Aircraft Cockpit Clocks
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:56:24 AM »
If it works like that for a few days, don't twist it much further. A friend of mine broke one because he twisted until there was tension. Then suddenly the spring snapped. So take care.

Nice clock you have there  anyway :thumbsup:

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 02:32:40 AM »
those 8-day clocks are easy to brake, so dont over vind it.  and I dont thnik nothing happens bu vinding it counterclockwise.

Clockwise till you feel a little tension and then stip, then it will run for 8 days

Offline Killratio

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 03:50:34 AM »
+1 to Kukki...I have had three running ones over the years...all clockwise until firm back pressure, just as with any  wind up clock.

Not sure where the anticlockwise comes in, all of mine just ratchet over if wound in reverse, no harm done. You won't "unwind" the spring going backwards.

(Glad to see you back mate!)

Darryl

Offline KK

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 08:59:34 AM »
Jody,
nice catch. Is it backlighted?

As for winding up a mechanical clock I suggest do the following.
Let the clock run a few days until it comes to the natural stop.
Then you know the spring is completely unwinded.
Give it then approx. 10 alternate windings. clockwise/counterclockwise each about 180 degrees.
The clockwise winding will give tension to the spring not the counterclockwise.
After that your clock should have energy for 5 days.
Check if the clock is still running after 5 days and then repeat the clockwise/counterclockwise winding
again.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline Marvin

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 01:23:06 PM »
Well according to the manual it is counter clockwise.  I figure it doesn't matter how much I spin it to  achieve a lengthy period as it pretty much needs to be set to the Falcon clock time during ramp start.  So I guess I will add to my check list, wind clock 5 spins and adjust time.  That should suffice for a max 3 hour flight.  ;)

As for lighting, I believe it is.  It appears to be the same as the F16 clocks?  Once I get to that stage I will investigate.

Thanks for the answers guys!
Jody
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:28:46 PM by Marvin »
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Tulkas

• General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »
He is Swiss, listen to him...  :lol:

Jody,

Give it then approx. 10 alternate windings. clockwise/counterclockwise each about 180 degrees.
Check if the clock is still running after 5 days and then repeat the clockwise/counterclockwise winding
again.

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »
Ha ha I am not trying to ignore him..  When I received the clock, it was unwound and not ticking.  The manual indicated counter-clockwise turn.  While investigating I noted the knob DOES NOT turn clockwise, then or now.  It will only spin counter clockwise and the clock seems to function as described in the manual.  The only way it will spin clock wise, is if I pull the knob outward which it will spin both ways but this is for setting the time.

I am not questioning whether I am spinning it the right way.  I just don't seem to find a tension spot while spinning.

Jody

He is Swiss, listen to him...  :lol:

Jody,

again.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal