* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by Sandman
[May 04, 2024, 07:54:13 PM]

Author Topic: Virtual cockpit lighting option  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Re: Virtual cockpit lighting option
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2023, 01:42:31 AM »
We could just screw it from the inside

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2023, 02:53:17 AM »
We could. You would need to drill a hole for the button which shouldn’t be that hard and then add the mechanism. Otherwise it seems pretty simple to do, we just need accurate measurements on where the button and mechanism goes.

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2023, 04:48:44 PM »
Changing the cockpit lighting is easy.  Just search through the 3D cockpit file for the block you want to edit. 

Look for this in your preferred block 3D cockpit file:

// floodlightcolormod r g b where r g b are float between 0.0 to 1.0
floodlightcolormod 0.4 1.0 0.4; // green

and change it to this:

// floodlightcolormod r g b where r g b are float between 0.0 to 1.0
floodlightcolormod 0.9 0.6 0.2 // orange-white
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 10:06:57 PM by Marvin »
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2023, 05:18:51 AM »
wow jody thanks! after seeing a lot of your cockpit videos with the "bulb look", I have to say the warm white look is way more appealing than nvis.

Offline Marvin

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2023, 08:26:13 AM »
Agreed..  There is no doubt most F-16s are equipped with NVIS but I still prefer the white look.  Specially with simulators as I find the green doesn't look authentic.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2023, 01:12:17 PM »
I think the actual color the USAF uses is a blue-green...I know that it's noticeably different from what's in Navy/USMC cockpits.  It's been a long time since I've been in a Harrier, but in Hornets it's definitely more green.  It was white in pre-Night Attack A-D jets, but I think all of those are out of inventory or have been upgraded now.

As for the blue-green vs green, I really don't pay any attention to it.  I can see them both, and that's what matters.
- Rufus

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2023, 03:16:39 PM »
I think the actual color the USAF uses is a blue-green...
Indeed, all real panels I've had,  had this bluish tint. I think I even found some bi-color blue-green LEDs but it was too much fuss to implement

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2023, 04:22:33 PM »
As I recall, the color on some of the replica gear I have from either Kukki or Martin can select/blend color - I'd like to know more about how to do that.   I know there are RGB tri-color LEDs out there, but I've never seen anything about how wire them to make them set or blend colors.

I'd go with blue-green in my pit if it weren't for things like my TM MFD bezels and such being actual green.  I'm already used to working in/with green lighting over decades, as it is.
- Rufus

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2023, 04:37:32 PM »
...ok.  So just found that this was just announced from TM at the recent simcon in Houston.  If you look close, you can see it includes the HOBO switch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPNjTbVcqg

Frankly, I still think the Cougar grip is a better "1:1" replica (no idea what that switch above the Cursor is for, and I'm not one for adding switches to replicas - just give me the thing as designed), but I'd certainly want one of these for a desk setup.
- Rufus

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2023, 11:57:51 PM »
...ok.  So just found that this was just announced from TM at the recent simcon in Houston.  If you look close, you can see it includes the HOBO switch!

Frankly, I still think the Cougar grip is a better "1:1" replica (no idea what that switch above the Cursor is for, and I'm not one for adding switches to replicas - just give me the thing as designed), but I'd certainly want one of these for a desk setup.

Yeah I wanted TM to do a throttle like this for 20 years.  But why they chose to fuck it up with that scroll switch above the airbrake is beyond me?  Specially when they added the console underneath with all these functions, you don't need to add one on the throttle grip..  But...  THey added a HOBO switch though! ;)
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Offline Foghorn

• Col.
  • Old F-16 Guy
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2023, 10:23:36 AM »
HOBO switch?

WTF is a HOBO switch?
FOGHORN

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2023, 12:28:03 PM »
HOBO switch?

WTF is a HOBO switch?

Hands On Black Out (what I was told).  Its a paddle switch under the grip that transitions to the NVIS lighting?
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2023, 02:52:56 PM »

Yeah I wanted TM to do a throttle like this for 20 years.  But why they chose to fuck it up with that scroll switch above the airbrake is beyond me?  Specially when they added the console underneath with all these functions, you don't need to add one on the throttle grip..  But...  THey added a HOBO switch though! ;)

Ditto,  I hate that too.  Maybe someone can 3D print a replacement top shell to get rid of that... :reading: .
- Rufus

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2023, 02:54:38 PM »

HOBO switch?

WTF is a HOBO switch?

Hands On Black Out (what I was told).  Its a paddle switch under the grip that transitions to the NVIS lighting?

I think it also kills your exterior lighting...or just does that?
- Rufus

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2023, 09:17:35 AM »

HOBO switch?

WTF is a HOBO switch?

I think it also kills your exterior lighting...or just does that?

HMmm good question..  I think if it does it would switch them to NVIS settings at the least?  Those are standard switches in most military vehicles.  We even have them in our Police vehicles.  lol  It's tactical to have a switch that instantly cuts all your lighting off.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal