* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by Sandman
[May 04, 2024, 07:54:13 PM]

Author Topic: Virtual cockpit lighting option  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
Virtual cockpit lighting option
« on: June 19, 2023, 05:47:52 AM »
Hello, I was doing some vr night flying and wanted to change the virtual cockpit to have white backlighting, rather than the NVG green. I prefer the white lighting and it would be cool to change it up. Has anyone been able to change the backlighting or is it always going to be green.

Offline Atlas

• General
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
Re: Virtual cockpit lighting option
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 12:30:40 PM »
Do you mean in the game?

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 12:45:17 PM »
...if you did that in RL your goggles would bloom, and be useless.
- Rufus

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 02:33:21 PM »
Yes @Atlas in the game. Rufus I didn’t think about that, but I know some of the members have white backlight cockpits and don’t use nvg, but was still wondering if it’s possible in tue virtual cockpit.

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 03:14:12 PM »
That's my point.  The reason the lights aren't white is because that is incompatible with NVGs, so if they were to give you the option to have either white or blue/green backlighting, then you should lose the ability to even invoke/use NVGs with white lighting.

Though, in RL I have known of pilots that have used NVGs in cockpits with white lighting by turning the lighting to nearly OFF...and even when doing that, the results can vary from jet to jet. 

I've been involved in several on-aircraft lighting evaluations and it's not as straightforward a job to get it right as one might think.  In some cases i've even seen it come down to what NVGs are intended for end usage, and compromises being made to accommodate more that one type in inventory.
- Rufus

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 03:52:52 PM »
The HAF F-16 Blk 52+ which I'm going for, has a strange mix of green and white panels. But the HOBO switch on the throttle grip turns off all non-NVG lights.

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 05:09:36 PM »
...that's cool.  I'm aware of the HOBO switch, but still learning just what it does.  Contemplating trying to fit this switch to a Cougar throttle grip...not really sure why or what for, I just think it's a cool idea!
- Rufus

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 09:29:11 AM »
It would be cool. I believe the throttle grip body is the same except there is just a hole for the button. We would need a part number for a button and I assume it’s just a normal spring loaded button that cycles the lights? We would also need measurements on where to drill for the button. It’s a cool idea but would be somewhat difficult.

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 10:09:24 AM »
It's more than the paddle on the stick. So the grip castings are different

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 01:35:31 PM »
Affirmative.  I do have some decent pics of the HOBO around...someplace...and as I recall the button is a standard Otto push button and the lever actuates it in a similar manner to the Paddle, but the mounting for holding the lever is cast into the grip.

I don't know if the metal in the TM TQS grip can be soldered/brazed or not (I expect not) but I'd bring some of my jewelers skill out of retirement to build up the shell and then re-paint, if that could be done.  Other alternative would be to 3D print a bottom shell, I suppose... :reading: .
- Rufus

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023, 07:59:37 AM »
Rufus I wouldn’t trust the thrustmaster metal lol. I have an original casting and I am sure a little metal work like metal weld epoxy or actual welds, could be used to attach two hinges for a paddle, kinda just reducing the paddle switch stick mechanism. I would also just use the stick paddle switch (Otto p1-10047), but the original switch would be good. It’s something that isn’t very common and very commonly used but it would be so cool and is rare. Now I don’t know about modifying a real grip to add it, or at least I wouldn’t want to risk my casting. I was talking to a member about adding a cms switch to my block 20 stick and apparently mason controls did a mod where they made a resin mold and stick it to the stick and made it work. So I figured I would try that for my stick at some point, because my stick has the same look as a cougar, it just doesn’t have a cms switch, but I still use it as the real deal is pretty neat.

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2023, 01:02:11 PM »
Rufus,
The Cougar is cheesy pot metal sorry to say. But if you find one to copy you could fabricate a mount then fill it with resin and no would know.  Think Kukki had one for sale maybe the new owner would scan it for you.

Offline Fhyndoh

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2023, 01:08:47 PM »
lost PLA casing of Zinc or ZAMAC might be the "easiest" if a 3d model could be found with a HOBO switch.

M
Gentlemen, it is time, don your cider visors and follow me!"

Cougar FCC#19 (01533), Homemade ICP, 2 masterpilots, CH pro pedals...empty wallet, BIG smile

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2023, 12:07:06 AM »

Rufus,
The Cougar is cheesy pot metal sorry to say. But if you find one to copy you could fabricate a mount then fill it with resin and no would know.  Think Kukki had one for sale maybe the new owner would scan it for you.

Concur.  We have some stuff we use at work - something we call "dental cement", though I really don't think it is that, and some grey resin that can be filed but is tough as nails - that I'm sure would do the trick if I ever really want to give this mod a go.

Here's those HOBO pics I mentioned - I got them off the forum here...someplace.  Claim them, if they are yours!
- Rufus

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2023, 01:36:58 AM »
wow that design looks a lot simpler than  thought. If we could just 3d design a mechanism and the paddle, we could get some printed from shapewys out of aluminum.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal