* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 112
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: 10 Years In  (Read 2538 times)

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
10 Years In
« on: July 01, 2022, 12:41:56 AM »
10 Years In
This month (June 2022) marks my 10th year on Viperpits and building of my F16 simulator.
When I started collecting parts and researching all things F16, I figured it would be a very long journey toward a fully completed F16 simpit… and I was right.

In 2012 I had already been flying the DCS A10C for about two years and reading their home cockpits forum. This was the standalone A10C, pre-DCS World. The A10C was (is) a lot of fun to fly and when I discovered that a home-built cockpit could be integrated with DCS World, I was immediately interested. For two years I researched the A10C builder information and made some early attempts at panel building and even created and sold some A10C Caution panels. The builder community for DCS was pretty new at the time with no replica parts available for purchase.

I discovered ViperPits and soon after decided to switch my build over to an F16. I thought the F16 would be a much easier build that an A10 – and ViperPits already had a huge community of helpful, experienced builders as well as a great deal of F16 information.

Over the years I’ve been able to collect some really nice F16 parts and purchase some great replica pieces. When I discovered Martin’s amazing catalog of F16 replica parts – I started adding these to my plans. And today these parts form the core of my cockpit. Martin’s recent LAN boards are now bringing the cockpit to life. I collected a full set of Cage's fantastic panels and I’ve also added some wonderful parts from Kurt’s RealSimWorld, including an ICP, ACES II parts and a full set of knobs.

As a Thank You to everyone who has helped me out over the years and for the new builders just getting started – I wanted to do something special to commemorate my first decade of building.

Every month for the next 12 months I am planning to post some special content right here in this post. I hope you will all enjoy.

- John

Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline JCook

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Re: 10 Years In
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 12:43:00 AM »
Check back here every month for new content & downloads.

June - TM Cougar Throttle upgrade (hall-effect)
July - TM Cougar Radar Cursor Replacement
August - Rotary switch configuration and Backplate attachment
September - Panel switch hole template (mm)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 01:57:23 PM by JCook »

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 03:02:31 AM »
Wow @JCook 10 years already! Tempus fugit (time flies) unlike our sims  :harhar:

Offline JCook

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 06:18:23 PM »
July - Eventually updates or replacements are needed for the Cougar HOTAS. The mini-stick (radar cursor) loses accuracy over time. Creating dead zones for the X/Y axis can help, but the better solution is replacing the part. This month I’ve attached my tutorial for performing this upgrade. See 2nd post in this topic for the attachment.

Offline JCook

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 03:39:39 PM »
August - Creating panels and backplates to support switches, potentiometers and rotaries is a major part of building the pit. For my August tutorial we take a look at configuring and attaching rotary switches to the backplate. See the second post above in this topic for the attachment.

Offline JCook

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 01:57:59 PM »
September - When designing my backplates I first considered the functionality needed for the panel and then determined the make and model of the switches to purchase. Toggle switches, Rotary switches, Potentiometers and Pushbuttons typically have a spec sheet identifying diameters needed for the backplate. The specifications will also show how the component is to be "locked" in place which is done with smaller holes or slots that orbit the center hole. These holes allow a pin or locking ring to hold the switch in place and prevent it from turning.

This month I am including a component template that I used when designing my backplates. It contains the hole patterns for all the components I'm using for my panels. If you want to use any of these hole patterns you can simply copy them to your backplate file and position them to fit your needs.

I've left the hole dimensions showing in green text which will be useful if you are hand drilling these holes, otherwise the this text can be removed if using a CNC for cutting.

I plan to elaborate further on backplate design and fabrication in a future post. See the second post above in this topic for the attachment.

Offline Renard

• 1st.LT
  • Brand new newbie!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 06:39:10 AM »
Didn't notice that the article before. About knob selection was very detailed. I said why many builders' knobs stick are very long. Look forward to the following works. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal