• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

I am a newbie who took off from Japan sir by Atlas
[May 16, 2024, 12:43:47 PM]

Mag switches with DCS by questerymj
[May 11, 2024, 08:11:05 AM]

USAeroSim DCS F16c CDU Software by snakedoc
[May 10, 2024, 09:10:22 AM]

Author Topic: Hello from South Florida  (Read 3751 times)

Datajack

Hello from South Florida
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »
Hello fellow pit builders! (Feels good to finally say that...)

I've spent the last few months researching every aspect of pit building. I'm a software engineer by trade, and so most of my research started with figuring out how to interface all the switches, potentiometers, rotaries, displays and lights from BMS to the cockpit. I've figured out most of it using Arduino boards and writing my own BMS extractor. In fact, I've already successfully turned an Arduino Mega into a 40 button,8 Axes Joystick.  The only research left (which I'm working on now), is how to handle the displays.  I found a great tool for running the text displays off of Arduinos (you can find It here: https://github.com/uriba107/deduino )

I plan to use this library for the text displays (DED, FPLD, FFI), although I will modify it to work with my own BMS extractor tool I wrote myself. This is simply so I don't have so many tools running at the same time.  I also want to see if it's possible to use an Arduino to run the non-text displays (HSI, RWR, etc...).  Not sure yet how I'm going to tackle this one, although I've been in contact with roccio (creator of YAME64) and he's been extremely helpful (thank you again Roccio if you read this!).

I do plan to share all my Arduino work with all of you once I get everything working.  I plan to put up a website that will give tutorials on how to run your entire cockpit off Arduinos. I will provide step by step tutorials on setting up the Arduino, wiring diagrams and all the code necessary for you get it all working.  Its the least I can do in return for all the wonderful information I've found in my short time here.

My ultimate goal is to build a full cockpit of the F-16 Block 52.  I'm not shooting for exact realism, although the closer it looks to the real thing the better. My goal is functionality.  I want every display and every switch to work. 

I just purchased a 3D printer and will make as many components I can from it.  I fould an amazing resource of 3D stl files here on the forum (including all the knobs), and plan to take advantage of these as I can.

I still have a lot to learn and a lot to figure out before I get started on my build.  I want to make sure I know how to make (or where to purchase) everything I need to complete the project.  I'm going to start building some of the panels (probably start with the ICP and the Caution Panel) first, and also get started on the ACES II Seat off the Brenda plan. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions for all of you....

Talk to you soon,
Datajack

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: Hello from South Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »
Welcome to the madness, Datajack...let the fun fly... :outthewindow: !!!
- Rufus

Offline Blaze

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 07:37:01 PM »
Welcome Datajack!

Sounds like you’ve done a lot of homework already.  Good luck on your build and we look forward to seeing pictures of your progress. 

Jump on in, the water is warm!   ::)

Blaze

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 06:51:29 AM »
Welcome to VP Datajack  :thumbsup:
Sounds like you have a good plan to get of with your wroject in a good way.

Hang in here and you will  be amazed by the skills and knowledge there is on VP  :vprules:

Have a great day and welcome.

Datajack

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:19:46 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.  I've been on this site for just a few days, and already have learned so much.  Its an amazing resource, with a enormous number of talented people that have built some incredible things.  I hope I can do my part to contribute to the community as I build my own cockpit.

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
Welcome aboard! You will keep discovering countless details every time you visit the forum. You're at the right place!  :thumbsup:

Offline Lightning101

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »
Nice to see you here!

Datajack

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »
Hi Wralex :)

Already good to see you sir. Thank you for all your help so far!

Datajack

Offline warbirdguy1

• Col.
  • I know only enough to break something...
    • Florida Combat Simulations
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 08:20:02 PM »
I am new here too.  Most of my background is drafting and mechanical assembly in the utility and electronics world.  I live in Tampa so nice to see some relatively local BMS people.

I am weak in the programming side of things and hope to learn more here.

Offline hy-fye1

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 07:38:31 AM »
Welcome onboard :beer:

Offline Lightning101

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 02:28:42 PM »
Hi Wralex :)

Already good to see you sir. Thank you for all your help so far!

Datajack

You're welcome!

Offline Predator

• Col.
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 04:50:12 PM »
Welcome my friend!

Datajack

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 07:39:50 PM »
Thank you Predator :)

Chill

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »
Welcome from Pensacola Florida as well.  This is THE place where all simpit roads meet.  Everyone here loves all things associated with F16 cockpit builds, so you're in good company.  I've had nothing but help from anyone here.

Chill

Offline James R. Stern

• Col.
  • André Middeldorf
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 07:56:49 PM »
Welcome to this community. Here you will sure find the answers for all the questions  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal