There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 30, 2024, 06:49:56 AM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: overdue introduction?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline AndreZero

• Captain
  • Brand new newbie!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
overdue introduction?
« on: October 20, 2016, 08:59:24 PM »
Hello,

I've been on this forum for a while but never actually introduced myself and my plans so I think I'm overdue for this.

I originally found my way to this forum when looking for options for controls for space flight sims (things like Elite Dangerous) and thought "These guys are nuts!"  I was very impressed with all the stuff you guys have built.  Slowly, I started thinking "hmm, maybe I could get that part..."  And now I'm in the shallow end of the pit building pool (which must make me nuts by my own standards!).

I live in the Washington DC area in a fairly small apartment.  So I've got limited space for a pit and limited access to tools.  In June I joined my local makerspace to gain access to a laser cutter and 3d printers.  Last month I decided to get my own 3d Printer because having to go to the makerspace to print parts seemed too time consuming.  (Little did I know that I'd spend a month printing parts to improve my printer!)

Anyway, with limited space, I can't setup a permanent pit so I'm trying to make a low fidelity modular pit so I can set it up when in use but stow it to reclaim space in the living room when I'm not flying (this is my strategy to keep my girlfriend from killing me!)

I've been collecting parts (arduinos, switches, leds, etc) for a few months.  I'm just now getting to a point where I think I have enough to put something together.

I managed to get in on the latest MFD mounting hardware run so now I've got functional screens behind my MFDs.  Here are some pics of my current setup:

Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS
Slaw Device BF-109 Pedals
Logitech G13 (as my ICP)
Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Offline Killratio

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
Re: overdue introduction?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 10:59:49 PM »
Nicely done! Welcome.

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 12:33:12 AM »
Hey AndreZero!
Welcome mate and WHAT a setup, you already came a long way, but still some to go :-)

Your pit setup looks amazing and you got some good quality parts there.
Keep going for your dream, it can be a life long passion, but as you already proberly know it cost some  :outthewindow:
so keep that in mind.

Welcome mate, and nice to see what you are building  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kukki

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 12:40:34 AM »
I was in a similar situation when I first started. A small apartment and no room. After my car was damaged in the parking lot I decided to check out houses. We were paying $980 a month for a 2 bedroom apt. We found that we could get a 4 bedroom house for just $200 more a month.  Now I have the sim in my garage.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Wolverine

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 01:39:33 PM »
Welcome  :beer:

sorry for my english!!                                                Italian journal of my pit!!

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »
Welcome... :thumbsup: !  I think this is how we all begin, and I'm running out of room myself... :DOH: ...changes will be made.  Eventually. 

You've found the right place to continue this journey... :vprules: !
- Rufus

Offline AndreZero

• Captain
  • Brand new newbie!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 05:10:11 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes!  I'll probably start my own progress thread with some of the things I've been tinkering with soon.

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 03:29:05 AM »
Judging from your desktop setup, I guess any warning or advice to get out of this hobby is already too late   :harhar:

Must have been great to see the MFDs come to "life"  :thumbsup:
One tip: try to get your girlfiend also into this hobby. It will make things (like getting space for it) a lot easier  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal