Hello from Canada by Rufus
[Today at 04:56:21 PM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Customizing Default Point of View in BMS by Sneakpeek
[April 17, 2024, 11:53:20 PM]

Author Topic: ViperPits Web Site Running Slow  (Read 1759 times)

Offline The_target

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: ViperPits Web Site Running Slow
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 05:30:16 PM »
wilco  ;)

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 05:54:43 PM »
Web Page Admins

Is this sluggish server response when creating posts problem being looked into?  Apparently others are seeing this not just me.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 11:50:34 PM »
Our forum has seen a sudden increase in "undefined errors"- mostly "guests" attempting to access forum content without proper registration.

The forum security features are working overtime.  Our server's "error log" has recorded over 69,757 improper "guest" requests that were denied over the past two days alone.  By contrast, there were only 80 registered user "errors" for the past 30 days (mostly mis-typed passwords during log in, or syntax errors in attempted postings).

I have sent an email to Mike, but I'm not sure we can do much to reduce these.  They are likely automated "bots" trying to download photos and/or posted information as an unregistered guest.  We may need to severely limit Guest Access to the forum if this continues.  We can track the IP addresses of these "Guests", and selectively ban these IP addresses, but they are using multiple addresses.

Additional funds are usually used to increase online storage and special features (like "Classifeds"), but additional money really doesn't improve forum speed during these periods of unusual activity.

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
Thanks for the update Mark.  I vote we turn off Guest access for about a month if you think that will block this.  Maybe that will get the bots to move on to other sites.  It's getting to the point that it is difficult to make a post which kinda negates the whole purpose of our forum.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 01:29:13 AM »
Still waiting to hear from Mike

Offline Rambowski

• Col.
  • I feel the need, the need for speed!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »
To reduce automated boots and spammy accounts login attempts I would suggest to implement the Google captcha which will reduce such attempts to a minimum. I am using it on my website and it works like a charm...

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 10:06:59 AM »
Yes, please do something.  It is getting nearly impossible to post.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal