DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by Jakkuh-15
[April 17, 2024, 09:36:07 AM]

Hello from the UK! by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 09, 2024, 01:19:26 PM]

Hi! From Turkiye by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:23 PM]

Hello from Greece by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:06 PM]

Author Topic: New Member - Advice  (Read 5010 times)

DirtyHarry

New Member - Advice
« on: November 14, 2009, 05:21:33 AM »
Hi guys, let me first introduce myself, my name is Jean-Paul Theron and I have been into flight simulators since my first Commodore 64 and a game called ACE. I am intending to do my PPL when I get the chance timewise, but lets face it, a private plane is not the same thing as a Viper!

I have been browsing these forums for quite a while and thought that although everything show here is amazing, I thought that people doing it were insane (in the nicest possible way). Until I slowly felt that I too want to start doing this hobby (if you can call it that). I have limited electronics experience, but know my way around an electron, soldering iron and PC board. Also I have some funds to make my life easier regarding ready made parts by other members.

Now I am hoping for a little advice and some answers to some questions. Firstly here is what I want to do. I would eventually want to build a simulator with a seat, heads UP display and all the panels. I would like to use my TM Cougar with FSSB mod and throttle for the sidestick and throttle. I would also like to use my simped F16+ pedals for the rudder system. I do not want the simulator to move in anyway. So thats the basic setup I want to build over the next few years.

Now for the questions:
(1) I would like my simulator to be 'compatible' with future F16 Sims, do you think this is possible, say if DCS brought out a new F16 sim?
(2) How do you guys deal with the the 3d view and trackir. I mean there is a 'virtual' cockpit in 3D views. Are there ways to disable this... But then you lose the HUD? No point of a HUD glass then except for 'looks' right?
(3) Is there any point in buying something like the AIMSWORTH setup and modifying to get the structures done faster? Or is it better to build the structure yourself?

The approach that I think will work for me:
(1) I would like to start by building a working DED and ICP. Once that is done I would like to build MFDs using TM MFDs and LCD screens.
(2) I would like to follow this up with the HUD, AoA indexer and NWS/RFL indicator.
(3) Then I would like to start working on the instrument (center) panel which should take a while since it IS BIG.
(3) At that point I would like to get the structure going and install the IP, ICP, DED and controlls.

If I manage all that I will take a breather, Try to get it cosmetically to look good and begin work on the final panels and switches piece by piece.

PLEASE HELP.

Offline Falcao

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: New Member - Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:33:48 AM »
hey
welcome Theron  ;)
(v)2Lt Harpoon
872nd Fighter Squadron
http://www.87th.org

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »
Hey DH!
Welcome here.........and you will sonn know we are all INHERE...........some sort of NUTS  :yihaw:

Kukki

DirtyHarry

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:42:45 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for the welcome.

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:45:47 AM »
(1) I would like my simulator to be 'compatible' with future F16 Sims, do you think this is possible, say if DCS brought out a new F16 sim?
(2) How do you guys deal with the the 3d view and trackir. I mean there is a 'virtual' cockpit in 3D views. Are there ways to disable this... But then you lose the HUD? No point of a HUD glass then except for 'looks' right?
(3) Is there any point in buying something like the AIMSWORTH setup and modifying to get the structures done faster? Or is it better to build the structure yourself?

1. Depends on the software interface and the sim. If it's open source or has an SDK you can make it work with any sim that can be "talked to" (i.e. has some way of outputting data)
2. You can strip the cockpit art of anything unnecessary. If you leave the HUD on and you use the TIR, the HUD will move around. The only way to have it in the right spot is to use a hardware HUD, using MFDE ans some projection oprics
3. It has be done but seems like a lot of work. Personally I hate working with fiberglass!

DirtyHarry

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »
Thanks for answering some of my questions. Appreciated. I think I am going to start a project. What do you think about my ideas as to how to proceed? First with the DED and ICP, MFDs and then work up from there?

Offline Venom

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 01:07:27 PM »
Welcome to the looney bin!   :harhar:

That's a perfect start, espcially if you plan to fly while building.
Those "key" components can be built into a desktop pit allowing a lot of functionality while you work on the structure seperatly.

All the best with your project and remember the cardinal rule: must post pictures.

Offline Dunk

• Dunk
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • AVIATION SIMULATION GROUP
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 01:28:42 PM »
Jean-Paul,
Welcome to the Fabulas Viper Pit Forums.

Although my screen name is Kneeling Warrior, most here call me Dunk; I have no clue as to why.  ;)

I talk to a lot of folks here both by PMs and Phone and nearly every single Person whether they originally thought that they would just build a small humble pit to the persons who bought an Aimsworth.
All have said time and time again "I could kick my self in the butt for not going ahead and getting Jason ~Killin~ English's Plans or his kit", Me included I myself am building my Third and Final Pit, and this time with Jason?s Plans.
I know a guy who just bought an Aimsworth and he is completely dissatisfied, and he is on this forum.
He will most likely speak up here.
The Aimsworth is not able to accommodate a throttle guide rail, real or replica side walls an FSSB or other side stick controller.
Mike's very authentic back lightable Panels will not fit, as well as many many other complaints.
Do yourself a big favor and start out right with the Best Plans available they work well.

That is my friendly advice.
Dunk
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 01:34:30 PM by Kneeling Warrior »
I love the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the Ferrari F1 of fighter jets.

I love the Viper - a perfect melding of man and machine. 
~Dan Hampton~

http://aviationsimulationgroup.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx

tango44

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »
I agree with dunk.  You can't go wrong with Jason's plans.  You'll find that all of the components offered here on VP are all based on real dims, and with that in mind they all fit like a glove.

Case in point, my second pit up to this point...putting in my mfd's today....

DirtyHarry

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 04:00:04 PM »
Thanks Dunk :), and Tango...

Where do I find Jason's plans, also Tango, your setup looks exactly like the kind of structure I need... I am in South Africa, but use Skype if anyone wants to chat... By the way where do I post my contact details.

Regards.

DirtyHarry

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 04:03:38 PM »
By the way if I am willing to buy ready made panels, gauges and so on from other members how long do you think a project like this could ordinarily take?

DirtyHarry

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 04:07:29 PM »
Another quick question... The simulator at realsimulator.com what do they cost, is it in anyway worthwhile? Or is it just more fun to build it yourself?

Offline Taipan

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 04:12:20 PM »
Thanks Dunk :), and Tango...

Where do I find Jason's plans, also Tango, your setup looks exactly like the kind of structure I need... I am in South Africa, but use Skype if anyone wants to chat... By the way where do I post my contact details.

Regards.

Jason can be PM'd on these forums as Killin... I think there is a link on the front page of this site ( scroll down )

You may even want to look at AkersBarnes plans initially - I think someone on here has done a great one but I can't remember who.

I have a long term plan to build something like NightOwl's aluminium pit, but I firgure I have a lot to learn before then. In the meantime ( during the learning phase ) I'll do a simple AkersBarnes, collect some parts and learn what I need to do a nice job..
T
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 04:17:37 PM by Taipan »
"If the heat don't get you........"

Offline Venom

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 04:17:24 PM »
RealSimulator= I've got alot of their components, good stuff, although even better is available now at less or equal cost.

Last I remember, couple of years back, their full sim was around $60,000 USD

lumper

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 02:00:25 AM »
As far as I can tell RealSimulator is not selling to indivuals anymore except for the fssb for the cougar.  The Aimsworth has flaws (as noted above) and is not being produced by the person that owned the company.  He stopped due to health issues.  The US distruibitor is not trustworthy, so please stay away from him.  Kilin has plans that are really as close as you can get.  However, he has not been selling plans but kits (this might have changed, not sure) as some people bought one set and then made copies of his plans for others.  Are there other people/companys doing simulator stuff.  Yes, some are not on this forum because they could not follow the rules.  Some because they have had problems with members over many varied reasons, ie personality, trust, good business practices, etc.  Some companys are great, but they provide "real simulators" and can not work with this small niche group or their products are too expensive.  A good example of this is Clarks Machine.  They make real sims for the military (also real parts for the Viper. Raptor, and JSF).  They will sell you a pit, but it will cost close to six figures and then some of it is not able to be sent out of the country. In the nine years that I have been playing with simulators the connunirty has come a long way and a large part is due to the people here on this site.  And with that good luck with your "pit" and may the addiction give you great personal joy.

Lumper
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:24:28 AM by lumper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal