• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Kent, UK by salaxi54
[Today at 12:43:34 AM]

The Viper Simmer by Korbi
[August 15, 2022, 11:04:53 PM]

Hello by salaxi54
[August 13, 2022, 02:05:33 PM]

Author Topic: Everything is bigger in Texas  (Read 541 times)

Offline Smoked

• Brand new newbie!
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
Everything is bigger in Texas
« on: May 05, 2020, 07:18:39 AM »
They say everything is bigger in Texas.   Looking at the recent posts of the new people saying hello from Texas, it is obvious that Viper pit builders have a larger number here as well.   

I have been a lurker for a while trying to decide "if" I want to dive off into this fun and what direction to take it. After some thought I decided to dip my toe in the water, so to speak.  My delima is my pit will be obviously a gaming rig.  I solely fly DCS in VR.  My initial thought was a simple pit with no panels and a few key switches matched up close to 1-1 as practical.  Then the artistic side took over and now I am thinking about the "eye candy".   Decisions, decisions.   As of now I am leaning towards a pretty thorough pit build minus screens.   Perhaps one day I will change my mind and get this in there, I just can't justify the added headache or the cost at present time.

My steps so far..
Reading as much as I can from here.
I have a buddy that is helping me cut the ribs and Tub (process is already started)
In Contact with Martin for his TQS..
Dissecting what's needed for an ICP..

So that's my first post..  Basically saying hello!

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: Everything is bigger in Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 08:34:20 AM »
Welcome Smoked  :thumbsup:
Good decision to read up as much you can here, and then decide what scale of pit you are going to build/invest in.

But I tell you with the new coming solution with GREEN SCREEN and VR goggles with Highres. cameras in so you can have a FULL physical cockpit and the highfidelity worls outside on the green screen, and be able to see and operate a full cockpit will be the MOST AWESOME thing in the pitbuild world we have seen in many years, so strap in we are getting close my friend.

And yes in Texas there is so many pitbuilders and resources, so help is easy there.

Kukki

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
Hey Smoked,

Well you are doing it right; research research research. Welcome aboard!

Jody
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:38:16 AM »
Welcome!  This is how it starts, so it's already too late...you're hooked...and yes - this place is pretty much becoming Texan territory.  I used to live in Kingsville myself, but I had to follow my job out - thinking of retiring back to Texas though.  I miss the brisket!
- Rufus

Offline Smoked

• Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 12:44:07 PM »
Well Rufus, thats kinda how my call sign came to be... I love throwing things on the smoker, especially brisket..

Offline Catcher

• Live fearless Live free
  • -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • Semper WiFi
  • VP Awards Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 12:45:25 PM »
Texas the last real free place on earth perhaps 8)

The main thing with pit building is: never ever give up :thumbsup:

Greetings from Portugal

Offline knuckleduster

• 1st.LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 02:19:58 PM »
Howdy fellow Texan. 
I like you have been a lurker for quite sometime. 
It truly is a overwhelming site full of great information and knowledgeable pit builders.

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 08:46:49 PM »
Welcome Smoked.
 San Antonio here. We have pit builders in Austin, the DFW area, Poth, and I seem to be the only one here in San Antonio. Most of the guys are up around the DFW area. For you guys here in Texas, or anyone that is willing to travel. I am going to put my wooden shell up for sale real soon. I was holding it for someone that seemed interested, but he has not contacted me about it for a while now.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 04:34:59 AM »
Oh, yet another pan-handle State member! Welcome aboard man, fun times are ahead for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal