• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Kent, UK by salaxi54
[Today at 12:43:34 AM]

The Viper Simmer by Korbi
[August 15, 2022, 11:04:53 PM]

Hello by salaxi54
[August 13, 2022, 02:05:33 PM]

Author Topic: Hi from Norway  (Read 631 times)

Offline magazaki

• "we didn't choose to go to the moon bc it was easy
    • Awards
Hi from Norway
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:33:33 AM »
Just wanted to say hi from Norway  :thumbsup:

I've been around reading in this forum a couple of weeks.
Sure is alot of good info and it seems like a very nice community.

Planning a simpit and have started testing out some different approaches in regards to interfacing BMS, DCS, XP11 and P3D.
It seems that BMS has got the most options and support in this regard, allthough it migh be a little outrunned when it comes to graphics, maps etc.
Still this might be just where I will put the energy...I guess after all it takes it's toll on you..especially if you start out in the wrong direction.

I have just 3D printed an ICP panel and I was hoping for some input on what are my options for the PCB.
-connected to either LeoBodnar or Arduino, Xkeys or Pokeys or something else.
I would like to CNC it myself, but I think I will need an electrical layout as I am novice when it comes to designing.
Also fairly new on matrixes etc, allthough I have done some SMD soldering which I find both rewarding and fun.

Keep it up! ;D

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 08:38:56 AM by magazaki »

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: Hi from Norway
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
Welcome to VP magazaki, super nice to have another Viking inhere :-)  Yes sure there are a lot of information here, so you just dig in and see what suits best for you and the scale you want to build your cockpit.

There are a lot of options, and its very important to make a good plan and try to look into the future so you get the best start, and not ending up building 3 cockpits.......like some of us, so read the site and ask all you want, and then decide you approach.

Its a great place to be here on VP, good tone and adult behaviours + you get a lot of new friends.

One thing, just remember this hobby take a lot of time and its nothing you will finish in a few years (depending on the scale you build) and it can be very addictive and expensive. So dont say you are not warned :-)

Welcome my friend.

Kukki

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 09:33:25 AM »
Welcome aboard! All the options you mentioned are feasible, just make sure your interface board supports pots, switches, lights, and that 4-way switch. You can cut a 'general-purpose' pcb to the footprint of your panels' shape and carefully mount the components on that.
Are you planning on it being backlit?

Offline magazaki

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 10:14:07 AM »
Thanks guys!

I belive every word about it being time-consuming.
Viking blood might come in handy in order not to give in then!

Planning on backlighting yes, possibly using the 3528 SMD LEDs.
To make it easier on myself and buy some time, are there any ready-made PCB available for sale? I have seen the "Pscockpit"systems but unsure if they are available and if it suits other interfaces than the PS-tools system.

/magazaki

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »
As you might have guessed, PSCockpits panels need interfacing with their mainboard, so they're not what you'd call autonomous. However, you can contact Shep about availability if you find the system interesting. That's the system i chose, but although i got many parts of the system, it will be long before i plug anything in..

Offline Tulkas

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 02:25:15 AM »
Hei, velkommen!

Take it easy, read a lot and plan well before you cut anything, prepare to suffer and pull your hairs and finally enjoy this absolutely mad hobby  :lol:

Where in Norway?

Hils

Tulkas

Offline magazaki

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 08:13:30 AM »
Thanks for your reponse,

Tulkas, I live in Norway just south of Oslo. You?

I am aware that "patience is a virtue" but at the same time eager to get going if you know what I mean.
I find it hard to decide on where to start.
Some say that the AcesII is a good start, but I think I would prefer starting with the ICP and then the L and R instrumentpanels.
In fact I already "started" by testing out the interfacing, but it soon beomes a mess unless you have a frame to put stuff into.

Med vennlig hilsen
Magnus aka "magazaki"

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 08:04:59 PM »
Ha! I recently got mistaken for being from Oslo...by a guy that actually was from Oslo...because I happened to be wearing a Harley t-shirt from Oslo that someone brought me...from Oslo... :whistle:...

...Welcome... :clap:!
- Rufus

Offline salaxi54

• General
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 10:59:45 PM »
LOL, the world is a small place after all! Initially i thought Magnus was a Greek fella just living in Norway, as his nickname is actually a Greek word. Magazaki means "little shop"..as much as it sounds like a Japanese word.

Offline Tulkas

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 07:36:53 AM »
Thanks for your reponse,

Tulkas, I live in Norway just south of Oslo. You?

I am aware that "patience is a virtue" but at the same time eager to get going if you know what I mean.
I find it hard to decide on where to start.
Some say that the AcesII is a good start, but I think I would prefer starting with the ICP and then the L and R instrumentpanels.
In fact I already "started" by testing out the interfacing, but it soon beomes a mess unless you have a frame to put stuff into.

Med vennlig hilsen
Magnus aka "magazaki"

Ålesund  ;)

I would (I did started in fact) with the ICP, DED and MFDs, that's what will get you in the air the fastest while you work on the rest.

Cheers

Tulkas

Offline magazaki

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 08:00:32 AM »
Great, sounds like a plan to me ;)

I have a general question: how come all the Photobucket pictures are so blurry? -do I need to subscribe to them maybe?

brg
magazaki

Offline Tulkas

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 08:30:11 AM »
Great, sounds like a plan to me ;)

I have a general question: how come all the Photobucket pictures are so blurry? -do I need to subscribe to them maybe?

brg
magazaki

Photobucket has f*ck most of us up lately blurring our pictures at least we pay a monthly fee, so I am afraid the pictures will remain like that until we find the time to upload them somewhere else (someone has any advice about where to host them now?)

Cheers

Tulkas

Offline salaxi54

• General
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »
Like @Tulkas said, Photobucket needs a subscription. As mentioned aplenty, you either attach the pictures at our forum, or use a 3rd-party host like postimg. Went through hell to redirect my images to postimg, hopefully they won't be such jacka**es like PB...

Offline Venom

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »
Recommend www.imgur.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal