Customizing Default Point of View in BMS by Sneakpeek
[April 17, 2024, 11:53:20 PM]

Hello from the UK! by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 09, 2024, 01:19:26 PM]

Hi! From Turkiye by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:23 PM]

Hello from Greece by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:06 PM]

Author Topic: Hello from northern France  (Read 1751 times)

CaptainSW

Hello from northern France
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »
Hello everyone, my turn to introduce myself to this amazing community with my first short post.

I live in France and am working in the production of aluminium cockpits for real aircraft; also I am a glider pilot on weekends.
I rediscovered the love of flight sims with BMS 4.33 lately; hadn't practiced since Falcon 4.0 AF (with a basic joystick) and several years back Eurofighter 2000 & F-22 Raptor (with keyboard and mouse)!
I recently discovered this website and it instantly gave me confidence that I could start building some sort of cockpit myself, in order to really profit from the latest developments in BMS and also from the huge experience that everyone here is ready to share.

I'm basically starting from scratch, for now I don't even have a desktop computer, which is rather good because it will allow me to tailor my future buy to my exact needs.
My goal is to use Thrustmaster MFDs with external screens (I've begun "recycling" old laptop LCD screens, right now struggling to find the right power supply); combine them with a couple of extra screens for gauges display; have a 3-screen main view; use the HOTAS Warthog.

Today I spent a lot of time searching for the best PC hardware in order to build a 3-screen main display as well as allow for 2-3 extra external screens to be connected. I'm still not sure whether multiple SLI graphics cards are the best option or whether it's smarter just to use some special hardware like the th2go from matrox or even usb to vgi adapters.

One big motivation I have for this project is to learn in various fields in which I consider myself very uncapable today. Also it will allow me to cooperate with some friends on this project (using their 3D printer for example).

Seeing everything you guys do is a formidable confidence booster!  :vprules:

Offline Kukki

• General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: Hello from northern France
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »
Hey CaptainSW!
First Very WELCOME to VP, you are the right place for this very nice hobby/passion we have.

One thing before you get to much into computer HW, then forget about SLI, if its BMS you mainly want to fly.

For the 12V psu for you extra small screens, I will suggest you to just find an computer PSU, those are super fine and can easily power ALL the external 12V screens you need.

Super cool to have an ALU aviation man among us  :thumbsup:

Im sure you will find a lot of inspriation inhere my friend, else you just ask, but do your self a favour, look through all the threads you find interesting, there is a lot of Knowledge inhere and a bunch of tip and tricks regards of what kind of pit you want to bild (desktop or the full monty) :-)

CaptainSW you are welcome to the ViperPits  :vprules:

Offline Wolverine

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »
Welcome  :beer2:

sorry for my english!!                                                Italian journal of my pit!!

Offline The_target

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
Bienvenue :)

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 04:30:37 PM »
Welcome  :thumbsup:

Your knowledge of working with aluminum will help out a lot of guys in here. As far as your screen set up, there are many different ways to go. I can only tell you of my experience so here is my 2 cents.

I use Meanwell power supplies and they work very well. I have two 12v, one 5v, and one 24v. I only have one graphics card, the Sapphire R9-390X, and one Th2Go. I am running three main 50" screens, two 7" 4:3 MFD screens, and two 7" 16:9 Center Pedestal screens. I also have two 3" USB screens. A total of 9 LCD screens. I get about 60 to 70 FPS with all of the eye candy turned on.

Maybe some of this information may help you out. Good luck on your adventure and we look forward to watching your progress.

Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 10:21:52 PM »
You're in the right place, with an abundance of the right sort of background...so your case of the cockpit builder's disease should be and become very severe, I should think...

...welcome... :vprules: !
- Rufus

Offline Catcher

• Live fearless Live free
  • -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • Semper WiFi
  • VP Awards Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 07:22:26 AM »
Hi SW,

I got a complete set of TM MFD plus panel mounts laying here.

PM me if interested.

CaptainSW

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 03:24:46 PM »
Thank you all for your warm welcome!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal