Hello from Canada by Rufus
[April 28, 2024, 04:56:21 PM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Customizing Default Point of View in BMS by Sneakpeek
[April 17, 2024, 11:53:20 PM]

Author Topic: Firefox image saving issues?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Rebel

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Firefox image saving issues?
« on: January 08, 2015, 09:45:17 AM »
Any Firefox users having similar problems with saving images from the site?  I'm using Firefox 31.3.0 and when I save an image file (.jpg) it becomes unreadable to multiple jpg/jpeg viewing software programs (I've tried, MS Photoviewer, MS Paint, Photoshop, etc. and they all provide different error messages but essentially say the file is not in the right format).

I searched yesterday and lots of people are reporting the problem and offering solutions but I haven't found one that has actually worked yet.  I can perform the same file save operation with IE and have no problems.  One forum post yesterday I found noted that most users were having problems with files hosted at photo sharing websites and I noticed that most of the images I was trying to save from here were from photobucket.

I didn't discover it until after I had saved a few images from reviewing progress reports and then went back to view them and they wouldn't open, so now I have to go back and relocate etc.  I just thought I would warn folks that it may be happening to them as well and I was wondering if others had had similar problems and found a solution?

Thanks,
Rebel

Offline Lightning101

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
Re: Firefox image saving issues?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
I have the same problem here with viperpits. If the picture are recent, no problem. But if not, I have to refresh 3 times (and save each time) if I want to save a picture from here.

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »
This happens with images hosted on third party servers (photobucket etc). Are you right clicking->save image as? If yes, try left clicking, you'll be redirected to photobucket and then you can right clicking->save image as. You shouldn't have the same problem with images uploaded to VP.

Took me a while to figure out...  :brickwall:

Offline Rebel

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 04:12:56 PM »
The more I troubleshoot this the more weird it gets.  I just picked a random image (first image in Lento's latest update page (pg. 21) titled foto_zps01bce829.jpg.

I right click and "Save Image As" to the desktop and it isn't viewable with any programs.
I left click the image which pops it out into the viewer pane and then right click and "Save Image As", still not viewable.
I open the image in a new tab (now shown as a photobucket page) and right click that, "Save Image As", still not viewable.
I use the built in "download" icon in the top right corner of the photobucket page, download it to the desktop, and voila, it works.

Just checked another one Reply #322 to Tulka's update (http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=4184.msg125752#msg125752) and 4 of the 6 files save correctly, 2 do not.  Talk about... :brickwall:

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 05:55:51 PM »
The more I troubleshoot this the more weird it gets.  I just picked a random image (first image in Lento's latest update page (pg. 21) titled foto_zps01bce829.jpg.

I right click and "Save Image As" to the desktop and it isn't viewable with any programs.
I left click the image which pops it out into the viewer pane and then right click and "Save Image As", still not viewable.
I open the image in a new tab (now shown as a photobucket page) and right click that, "Save Image As", still not viewable.
Strange, all three work for me...
But every time I had the problem you described, it was a pic on PB. Still, opening in a new tab and saving always worked  :-\

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 09:00:57 PM »
I've seen some instances of this with Seamonkey, which is Firefox compatible.  But being on a Mac I save images mostly by drag and drop to my Desktop from my browser, but if an image comes up in a pop-up viewer - like our new one - that doesn't work.  But I can get around that by cntrl+click (right click) and forcing the picture to open in a new Tab of it's own.  Then I can drag it out...but in some cases I still get a non-readable file.

For ones in places like Photobucket I just download them from the site using the site's Download button.
- Rufus

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 09:37:37 PM »
All of the images in my build thread from me are in Photobucket. I have never had any issues. Check in my thread and see how they work for you.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:48:23 PM »
All of the images in my build thread from me are in Photobucket. I have never had any issues. Check in my thread and see how they work for you.

They expand in the new viewer just fine, and I can drag and drop them from my browser as long as I don't expand them into the viewer first.  If I right click and open in a new tab, it takes me to the image on your Photobucket page, but I can't drag and drop it from there, and the Photobucket download button doesn't work for me...which I think is the first time that's happened - that generally works.
- Rufus

Offline Rebel

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:32:47 PM »
Just tried the first image on page 1 of your build thread Grease...same results I got earlier.  It only saved correctly when I let photobucket download it using the built in download button.  I also did each option with IE and all of them worked correctly.  Maybe it'll work itself out with the next release of Firefox?

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 02:39:41 AM »
If you don't like using Internet Explorer, and I don't use it, try downloading Maxthon. This is the one I use. I have used Firefox in the past and I have stopped using it and went to Maxthon. Most hackers don't mess with it because it is not as popluar as IE and Firefox.
http://www.maxthon.com/
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal