Mag switches with DCS by questerymj
[Today at 08:11:05 AM]

USAeroSim DCS F16c CDU Software by snakedoc
[May 10, 2024, 09:10:22 AM]

I am a newbie who took off from Japan sir by questerymj
[May 09, 2024, 09:12:07 AM]

Hello from Canada by RonD
[May 05, 2024, 04:00:22 PM]

Author Topic: Cutoff/Idle detent with Pegasus tqs  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
Cutoff/Idle detent with Pegasus tqs
« on: January 05, 2023, 08:21:53 PM »
Hey all, I have a Pegasus arm and a real grip and bms works amazing with the detent setup, because Pegasus uses a pot (slider axis). As we know of in dcs there is no option to set up detents. Afterburners work fine but for the idle cutoff you need a button press for it to work. Pegasus arm is realistic and doesn’t have a button so has anyone got around this?

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Re: Cutoff/Idle detent with Pegasus tqs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 08:35:49 PM »
Maybe consider a TUSBA device?
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 08:52:36 PM »
Yeah I have thought about it, but I am using a real grip and Pegasus arm, so I couldn’t use the tusba. Doesn’t dcs have some sort of thing I can do?

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 09:24:44 PM »
Actually, yes you can use a TUSBA with either of Martin's or a real arm - mainly because you will be using a rail, and can calibrate where the cut off occurs wrt the rail and not just take a guess.

Also - I plan to include a sense switch (probably a push button of some sort) to mechanically activate the CutOff callback at the end of throttle travel.  One of the two approaches - whichever is most reliable - will end up in my build.  I have a real throttle arm and two TUSBAs...
- Rufus

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 09:31:38 PM »
But I am using the arduino to run the solution, not the cougar so I couldn’t use tusba, right? And if I am using tusba with real grip and real arm how would I add a detent with a button to trigger cutoff. Could I program one with tusba?

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 09:32:42 PM »
I guess I am trying to say, is it possible to add a cutoff detent in dcs with real tqs and the arduino solution? I may be able to add a micro switch somewhere but that would be a huge hassle.

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 09:47:46 PM »
well that's more complicated then. I'd go with a switch solution then.
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 09:50:47 PM »
Thats what  figured. Thanks. I am still searching for software to like add a button somewhere on the slider. There has to be.

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 09:51:10 PM »
Yes - in either case I'm thinking you are going to use a rail, right?  The rail is what provides your detent(s)...and you lift/pull the pinky trigger to push past the rail detent(s).  There are actually two detents at the low end of the rail - the first one is for Idle, and the one past that is for Cut Off.  There's a similar one at the mil/AB transition point.

But if you want to go even further, you can also add a switch - a guitar stomp switch would do nicely - at the bottom end of the arm, or at the end point of the cut off travel - to send a positive cut off signal.
- Rufus

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 09:53:05 PM »
Yeah, thanks Rufus, I will check that out, but heres what I found just now.
https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1571294-3.html?te_bu=Cor&te_type=srch&te_campaign=ggl_usa_cor-ggl-usa-srch-fy23-smbmktg-is-ind-switches_sma-2681_2&elqCampaignId=161757&gclid=CjwKCAiAh9qdBhAOEiwAvxIok-vtCRXx6F2ErUGOQOJvPi45llJnfSqMQ8_HWdqfZZpPbMBW6QmI-xoChh4QAvD_BwE

EDIT: I just looked at a guitar stomp and it looks perfect, but I would have to make an enclosure, and mount it, which shouldn't be too hard.

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 09:55:22 PM »
That's fine too...but you'll probably break it slamming the throttle around.  That's why I suggested a guitar stomp switch - it's robust, cheap, and all it take to mount one is an angle bracket.
- Rufus

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 09:59:36 PM »
Yep. I already see a spot. Martins arm has built in linkage with the little bar that slides the pot and that bar could push it in with my mounting configuration. Unless you have a better idea.

Offline Mustang 1-1

• Major
  • VR-Pilot
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2023, 10:03:05 PM »
Ya know many people have complained about how dcs doesn’t have a detent feature while bms does. It’s kinda annoying when you get real hardware and try to do interfacing. Hopefully they will implement it at some point, it wouldn’t be that difficult, but 90% of people have consumer grade hardware like winwing which already has buttons for off and idle, which is nice I guess.

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2023, 10:04:08 PM »
Yup.  Not really much difference between Martin's arm and a real arm really...I want to mount my pot to the arm axle, mostly for the sake of simplicity - but if I can't find a good way to do that I'll end up with a linkage at the bottom end of the arm too.

And it's been a bit since I've seen my arm...I forget just how it's bearings are set up.  Suddenly thinking I may have to make a linkage, but I can do that with R/C parts...easy.
- Rufus

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2023, 10:07:14 PM »

Ya know many people have complained about how dcs doesn’t have a detent feature while bms does. It’s kinda annoying when you get real hardware and try to do interfacing. Hopefully they will implement it at some point, it wouldn’t be that difficult, but 90% of people have consumer grade hardware like winwing which already has buttons for off and idle, which is nice I guess.

Actually, that's not really so much about DCS as it is about the controller - if you're building a cockpit or a decent desk setup (which I'm also becoming more interested in) you're going to build a detent.  After that it's just a matter of calibration.  I do short-calibrations with my WH stick to emulate a force-controller, and that works pretty good - would work better with a stiffer spring...which I suppose I could get.
- Rufus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal