* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 70
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: Assigning HOTAS buttons  (Read 1262 times)

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Assigning HOTAS buttons
« on: October 11, 2022, 11:16:27 PM »
So many problems with BMS. Here's a new one.

BMS has decided to unmap some keys on me. I am using a TUSBA for the Cougar Throttle - so I'm only concerned about the joystick. My Trigger's first detent and second detent are both mapped to first detent.

The crap configuration system for BMS won't let me assign the 2nd detent and just shows up as function not assigned when I try to map it to the trigger.

I've tried using the Pegasus BMS Key Editor but there is no documentation - so I don't know how to add the second trigger detent - take a look at the attached. How can I get this assigned without using the broken BMS setup menu, or some add-on like the excel spreadsheet.

How they can go on release after release not fixing this broken configuration process is a mystery.
Hope someone can help.
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Nomad

• Col.
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: Assigning HOTAS buttons
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 12:20:08 AM »
Try to map the second decent first, while holding the second detent then release it to the first detent. That always works for me
Bell206/407 EuroEC135/EC145/BK117/AS350B3E/B2
F16/P51/Cessna172/177/182/206/210/310

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 05:01:13 AM »
This isn't hard and it's not broken. It takes two hands. Open SETUP  and click on CONTROLLERS. Load your KEYFILE. Scroll down to FLIGHT STICK. Click on the Key box for STICK: FIRST TRIGGER DETENT. It will change color (barely). Squeeze the trigger slowly to assign it just till you see Button 1 activate but then DON'T LET GO. Hold it still in that position. With your other hand, click on the KEY box for STICK: SECOND TRIGGER DETENT. Now squeeze the trigger all the way to assign it to the second position. Let go, test to verify. If you blew it, do it again. Save the KEYFILE. Done. If this doesn't explain it enough, I'll make a video.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 02:28:02 PM by Nigel »

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 05:06:03 AM »
I use a trackball so I squeeze the trigger with my left hand and click with the right, it's easier for me.

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 01:45:11 PM »
You can also do it in reverse as Nomad says above, squeeze the trigger till its just past the first detent and click on STICK: SECOND TRIGGER DETENT and squeeze till it shows it assigned. let go and click on the Key box for STICK: FIRST TRIGGER DETENT and squeeze till it shows it assigned. Save and you are done. I dont understand whats so difficult, is your KEYFILE not showing this? Which one are you using as a default?
What BMS version are you on? The Key File Editor manual is in 4.36 /Docs/01 Input Devices/02 Key File Editor folder. User error doesn't make it crap. There's a learning curve to his program, it an be frustrating. But once you learn it, as with anything, it's not that hard.
If you need help, PM me and we can get on Zoom or Skype or WhatsApp or whatever and I'll walk you through it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 02:32:16 PM by Nigel »

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 03:43:46 PM »
Agreed - it's a bit more straightforward if you map the second detent first...and a trackball helps, otherwise you really do need three hands!

I spent an afternoon re-assigning Trigger detents myself not long ago, and I don't recall it being as much of a hassle the first time I did it was the second...but it was, and I got it done...eventually!
- Rufus

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 08:38:17 PM »
Thanks guys.
Nigel your 1st suggestion worked.
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 11:54:41 PM »
Glad to hear it. It's why we're here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal