Customizing Default Point of View in BMS by Tulkas
[April 13, 2024, 03:44:53 PM]

Hello from the UK! by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 09, 2024, 01:19:26 PM]

Hi! From Turkiye by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:23 PM]

Hello from Greece by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:06 PM]

Author Topic: Question - ramp start & pinky switch  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Peten

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Question - ramp start & pinky switch
« on: October 03, 2021, 02:16:26 AM »
Hi guys,

A question about ramp start and the throttle pinky switch.
I didn't make a switch for the pinky switch because I thought there is no need for that.

Now when I ramp start in BMS,  it's seems that there is a command that operate the pinky switch.

I'll appreciate if you can share info about it.

Thanks
Asi
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 02:47:12 AM by Peten »

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: Question - ramp start & pinky switch
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 03:24:00 AM »
Always been one. and It's misnamed making it confusing.

I's there for those regular desk users who don't have the rail notches on their HOTAS. They need to press the button to start or shut off the engine
If you have a throttle rail, you don't need to use it as you enable the realistic behaviour in the BMS config, then using the throttle handle course to start or shut off the engine.

For us having a throttle rail, there is no need to wire that pinky, Its action is purely mechanical to allow the handle to be raised just a bit to enter the throttle gate zone when going forward and allowing the throttle handle to rotate fully up to go into the cutoff area when going backwards (to shut the engine down)

If you use that config code with a standard hotas then you'll probably shut the engine in flight by lack of stopping point between idle and cutoff. That stopping point is the idle detent callback made in software

So:
regular hotas: don't enable the config and use the callback for idle detent of the hotspot on the pinky switch to start/stop the engine
pit user: enable the config and set the red and green line on your BMS setup controller screen and ignore the idle detent callback and hotspot on the pinky
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 08:52:23 AM »
Where the hell is a pinky switch on the Throttle? I do not have one.. and I never had one.. neither in pit or on desktop. I just now a pinky switch on the stick...  :-\

Offline Fhyndoh

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 09:25:39 AM »
@ cupra for pinky switch read "cutoff release"
Gentlemen, it is time, don your cider visors and follow me!"

Cougar FCC#19 (01533), Homemade ICP, 2 masterpilots, CH pro pedals...empty wallet, BIG smile

Offline Korbi

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 09:44:27 AM »
Its acutally called pinky lever sometimes.
Best regards

Korbi
VJS 161 "Mad Bulls"

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 10:34:37 AM »
Well, it'as activated with the pinky finger, just like the one on the stick after all :)
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Peten

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »
Always been one. and It's misnamed making it confusing.

I's there for those regular desk users who don't have the rail notches on their HOTAS. They need to press the button to start or shut off the engine
If you have a throttle rail, you don't need to use it as you enable the realistic behaviour in the BMS config, then using the throttle handle course to start or shut off the engine.

For us having a throttle rail, there is no need to wire that pinky, Its action is purely mechanical to allow the handle to be raised just a bit to enter the throttle gate zone when going forward and allowing the throttle handle to rotate fully up to go into the cutoff area when going backwards (to shut the engine down)

If you use that config code with a standard hotas then you'll probably shut the engine in flight by lack of stopping point between idle and cutoff. That stopping point is the idle detent callback made in software

So:
regular hotas: don't enable the config and use the callback for idle detent of the hotspot on the pinky switch to start/stop the engine
pit user: enable the config and set the red and green line on your BMS setup controller screen and ignore the idle detent callback and hotspot on the pinky

Solved it. Thanks RD, it was the the config option missing.  :beer:
Now I can ramp.  :cheerleader:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal