* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 147
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: The Viper Simmer  (Read 18925 times)

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: The Viper Simmer
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2022, 08:37:54 PM »
...last time I went into a recruiter's office he stiff-armed me about my wanting to become a fighter pilot until I ran down my resume' at him...and added that I had 20/15 vision.  After he picked his jaw up off the desk he came at me with the "I can get you anything you want" routine.  Except a Guard slot...which was what I wanted. 

I was a working Flight Test engineer in the field at EAFB at the time, and I told him that I already knew that the USAF couldn't even pay me what I was making in per diem then (plus my salary) as a USAF 2nd Lieutenant, which was why I wanted a Guard slot.  So I went on doing what I've been doing ever since...but I coulda been a contendah!

I guess my first real screwup was not going to the USAF Academy out of high school...didn't talk to the right people, and became  a civvie aero engineer instead...which I can't say has been a "bad" choice, overall.

And I blew my chance to become bonafide Navy aircrew by leaving Navy Kings earlier than I should have...I just keep screwing up my choices... :brickwall: !
- Rufus

Offline Foghorn

• Col.
  • Old F-16 Guy
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2022, 09:59:04 AM »
I remember my first flights with my instructor, I was so overwhelmed just flying the plane that I never heard the radio messages from the tower or flight following... ::)

heheheheh

yup.

You should see C3001... that's the serial number for the sortie in Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) where we start introducing aerobatics... which means pulling G's... which means we are also introducing the Anti-G Straining Maneuver, or AGSM (or... "Ay-Gasm").  Asking them to fly the jet and properly perform a G-strain is always comedy.  None of them... and I mean this... NONE, not one, NO ONE... can "walk and chew gum" on that first aerobatics sortie.  They can either fly the maneuver -- OR -- G-strain.

So, needless to say, there are a LOT of GLoCs on that sortie.  Tons.  I had 5 different students GLoC on me on C3001 when I was teaching in T-37's.  Which are whole 'nother stories of hilariousness... watching a student wake back up after a GLoC.  Man, wish I had a video camera in the cockpit for that.  Would have been YouTube GOLD.

The human being was not designed to fly.  The act of aviation is not intuitive to the human animal.  There is no such thing as a "natural born pilot"; such a thought is pure, unadulterated hubris.  Man's flight through life, both figuratively AND LITERALLY, is sustained by the power of his knowledge.  Aviation is a life long course of obsessively-compulsive study, practice and repetition.

Wow.   Waaayyy too much philosophy from me before I've even finished my first cup of coffee this morning.
FOGHORN

Offline malpaso

• Col.
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2022, 12:03:11 PM »
@Foghorn,your comment is very relevant!
Flying is the second greatest emotion that man knows......Landing is the first!

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2022, 08:18:06 PM »
Great input, @Foghorn ... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

Offline Zeight

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2022, 09:44:06 AM »
@Foghorn,
You always have great stories.

Offline Korbi

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2022, 04:31:37 PM »
could we just sit down all day, grab some beers and listen to this man?
Best regards

Korbi
VJS 161 "Mad Bulls"

Offline Zeight

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2022, 10:19:13 AM »
 :beer: :beer: :beer:
🍻🍻🍻
I'm in!

Offline Foghorn

• Col.
  • Old F-16 Guy
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2022, 11:09:50 AM »
"So there I was..."
FOGHORN

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2022, 12:51:52 PM »
...all of my stories that start that go "there I was, minding my own business....and"... :digger: ...
- Rufus

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2022, 01:57:08 PM »
Funny Rufus, I've never thought of you as a "stories" kind of guy.   ::)
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2022, 03:05:20 PM »
As I'm also fond of saying - "you should hear what I DON'T say!"
- Rufus

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2022, 12:01:47 PM »
Hey guys,

After lots of feedback and other resources I do believe I produced a fairly accurate tutorial on range procedures and AG profiles.  This will be lesson 1 for my BSA series of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGP3CZNRmE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGP3CZNRmE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGP3CZNRmE</a>
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • Callsign: Vino
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2022, 12:53:21 PM »
Great Job, amazingly done video tutorial.  :clap:

Offline Foghorn

• Col.
  • Old F-16 Guy
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2022, 05:19:56 PM »
Do you want the debrief here, or in private?
FOGHORN

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • Callsign: Vino
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2022, 05:36:02 PM »
I'd love to read it... :notes:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal