* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 160
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: New guy signing in from Southern Cali  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: New guy signing in from Southern Cali
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »
I think I've spent more time over the years teaching Air Force guys to talk Navy than the other way around; and I've had family members and friends in the model building community that were in the USAF.  And I've also spent some years working with Marines, so I guess I'm tri-lingual really.

I think I've even worked with some Army types...I recall that at one time we had an Army Reservist aboard that used to drill with our local Navy folk - that made for some odd-looking non-uniform pictures in uniform formation!

...why do I suddenly feel really old?
- Rufus

JJ

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 03:54:36 PM »
why do I suddenly feel really old?

hehe, because we are at the 50 club....but....we have the experience, others don't have !!!  :harhar:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 02:29:47 AM »
why do I suddenly feel really old?

hehe, because we are at the 50 club....but....we have the experience, others don't have !!!  :harhar:

Indeed, age is sometimes good / useful  :harhar:

supportguy

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 12:42:42 AM »
Well I figured I didn't have enough to start a pit thread but.....

So far I picked up
falcon 4.0
THRUSTMASTER 2960708 USB Cockpit Panels
Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar PC Flight Stick
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Control Pedals for the HOTAS COUGAR

Slow start but working on things as I find them on the net to purchase..
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:03:41 AM by Sparrow 23 »

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 02:15:39 AM »
Well I figured I didn't have enough to start a pit thread but.....

So far I picked up
falcon 4.0
THRUSTMASTER 2960708 USB Cockpit Panels
Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar PC Flight Stick

Slow start but working on things as I find them on the net to purchase..
Search for Lightning's switch list. This is where I started. Figure out which side of the pit you want to start with. To me, the right console is easier. Then start collecting switches. Most switches are not real expensive, however some can get higher in prices. Although, if you are not interested in going for "authentic", toggle switches from Radio Shack will do the job. You can either start making your own panels, or do like I am doing. Go to the Viperpanel website and start collecting panels. Maybe buy one out of each paycheck or buy the full set, if you can afford it. This all takes time so don't expect to be done in a couple of months. Just get satisfaction out of each panel that you set up. There are several directions you can go with setting up the switches. Xkeys is probably the easiest way to go. Pokeys is a little more intense, but is worth it in the long run. Above all, read, and search other builders threads. Read threads like Kukki, Nigel, Red Dog, Tulkas, JJ, Rayman, and several others in here. These are the ones that helped me the most, but there are too many to name here that are very helpful.
Good Luck...
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

supportguy

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 03:06:47 AM »
thanks for the info....I would like to start with screen gauges and after I get down the line I would like to get everything so it all functions together with the game.

As far as the xkeys,pokeys I still don't get the phrases yet so I have no clue what that means..lol

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 02:57:12 PM »
That's a good start, and where I started...I'd highly recommend the Saitek Combat pedals over the Thrustmaster ones so you don't have conflicting setup issues between your toe brake and cursor control input axes.  Plus the Saitek ones also allow you to dial in some resistance in the rudder axis - very helpful.
- Rufus

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 03:14:46 PM »
Sparrow23,

You are asking a lot of good questions on the Forum.  However, many of them can be answered by doing some reading and searching instead of just posting questions that have (often) been discussed previously in the Forum on some thread.

When I started, I spent days and days reading the forum threads, download, compiling and organizing important pictures, documents, thread excerpts, etc. into a local directory tree on my computer for my pit.  (It's now HUGE!) May I politely suggest you try using the Search function a bit more to see if your questions have already been answered.

If you can't find the answer with the Search function, then by all means post them in the Forum.  I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm for building a pit but it's generally considered good form to try to exhaust the information in the threads before posting your questions.  There is sooooo much information in this Forum that just about anything you have a question about has already been discussed at some length somewhere.  We've all been where you are and the learning curve can be steep. ::)

Good luck with your pit building and welcome to the madness.  WARNING: Pit Building can have a serious impact on your Wallet, Time, and Relationships but darn it, it sure is fun!

Willy

Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

JJ

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »
 :thumbsup: Willy

supportguy

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 10:44:42 PM »
slowly starting..figured out the mfds tonight   :flipacoin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal