• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by ChrispyBiscuit99
[Today at 06:49:56 AM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: jskibo intro  (Read 1934 times)

Offline jskibo

• Captain
  • Brand new newbie!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
jskibo intro
« on: November 01, 2018, 03:09:50 PM »
Hi all and thanks for the add.

Looking at building my first military pit.  Several years ago I managed to cobble together a full size 737 one with a lot of FDS parts and some others, but sold that when I moved in 2013 and have bounced around a bit and haven't had time or room for one.

Now back in a house with about 2000 sq ft of empty basement so I don't think I can use that excuse anymore :)

I'm an ex Navy Airframer (A-6's / EA-6B's mostly but also wrenched on anything that hit the deck while on cruise).  Spent 15 years at Boeing on the military support side (F/A-18, SLAM / HARPOON, C40A, 767 Tanker, C17) and the last 9 at GE (F/A-18 Stores Management PM for 6).  I am the regional Customer service manager for GE Military engines in UAE, Oman, Egypt and now Morocco so I get to play around the Block 30, 40, 50 and 60's....and in a few years the new 70's when delivered.

Been around flight sims since my first Sinclair ZX-81 computer, Day 1 owner of Falcon 4 (I still suck).  Also a pilot with CMEL / CSEL / ASES ratings.

Looking to have some fun, read and learn alot and empty my wallet into something that will bring a smile to my face....

PS I bought a Geeetech A30 3D printer to play around with as well

Offline James R. Stern

• Col.
  • André Middeldorf
    • Awards
Re: jskibo intro
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 03:21:22 PM »
Welcome to Viperpits  :cheerleader:

Offline jskibo

• Captain
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 07:46:23 PM »
Thanks!

Currently running on this setup

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 09:02:12 PM »
Welcome... :thumbsup: ...Fly Navy!
- Rufus

Offline Taipan

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 10:19:38 PM »
I am the regional Customer service manager for GE Military engines in UAE, Oman, Egypt and now Morocco so I get to play around the Block 30, 40, 50 and 60's....and in a few years the new 70's when delivered.

Sounds like a great job !

Welcome aboard.
"If the heat don't get you........"

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 12:06:24 AM »
Since you have the Instrument panel on the smaller display, you might consider the SHFT-2 view (I think that's the one)  that only shows the HUD and the nose of the aircraft.  Seeing the instrument panel in the middle big screen seems redundant to me.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 01:46:35 PM »
 There is a lot to learn in here. A question for you to answer for yourself is, how much money and time are you willing to spend and how realistic do you want your sim to be? A lot of us start out thinking that we just want to stick to the basics. Next thing you know we have full size Fam. Trainers and cockpits. It will all depend on how hard you get bitten by the bug.
 With your background in aviation and extensive knowledge of the Viper, you can bring a lot of knowledge about the real thing that a lot of us do not have.
 Welcome to the forum and let us know if you need any help.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 03:04:29 PM »
Like @Rufus said: Fly Navy! (Retired Navy guy here) I've worked on the RGM-84 Harpoon too for quite a while, but ASROC more than i care to remember.. Nevertheless, you've found the best place to hang around and learn more than you can imagine. This is a big family, with a lot of servicemen members. You'll feel like home in no time. Welcome aboard!  :beer2:
By the way, you mentioned ZX81, were you stationed in Europe when you got that?

Offline jskibo

• Captain
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 09:31:44 AM »
Like @Rufus said: Fly Navy! (Retired Navy guy here) I've worked on the RGM-84 Harpoon too for quite a while, but ASROC more than i care to remember.. Nevertheless, you've found the best place to hang around and learn more than you can imagine. This is a big family, with a lot of servicemen members. You'll feel like home in no time. Welcome aboard!  :beer2:
By the way, you mentioned ZX81, were you stationed in Europe when you got that?

Thanks all.  Quite a bit to take in here!  I have a lot of reading to do :)

I picked up the ZX81 from my girlfriends father at the time.  He was really into it and sourced 10 for his friends, one buy fell through so he offered it to me free :)  He was much nicer that that girlfriend!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal