• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by Nigel
[Today at 02:39:55 AM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: Been awhile!  (Read 2212 times)

jrsteensen

Been awhile!
« on: October 03, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »
Hey all! Just wanted to touch base with everyone - a lot of old friends here I've fallen out of contact with. Mike, Dunk, Lightning, Nigel and so many more of you.

Lost the bug to build for quite a while, but with the DCS Hornet module, the bug bit me bad. Been working on a F/A-18C Lot 20 pit, with all plans to be released OpenSource.

Newcomers and younger members, this hobby, if you are passionate, can lead to better things. After I got off active duty, I ended up starting as a drafter for one of the major aerospace/defense firms based on my CAD work for pit building. I'm now a senior mechanical designer.

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: Been awhile!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »
Good to see you back, even though you betrayed the F-16...  :whistle:

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 02:43:17 PM »
Very nice work...I'll be following closely... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

Offline Taipan

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 05:11:14 AM »
Welcome back John

Did you ever manage to finish your block 60 pit ?
T
"If the heat don't get you........"

Offline Thunder

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 06:09:28 AM »
Glad to see you back! Your Block 60 horseshoe really motivated me to go the block 60 route many years ago. Glad I did!

jrsteensen

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »
Good to see you back, even though you betrayed the F-16...  :whistle:

Thanks Nikolas. I gotta say, the F/A-18C is a beast! Let me tell you, learning carrier landings was an experience! Was sad to stray from my roots, but cie la vie.

Rufus, thank you!

Taipan, glad to be back. Unfortunately no. After my son passed away in 2010, and had a few more children, it got parted out. Recently bought a house with a separate 3 car garage dedicated shop, and got the CNCs and 3D printer, so decided to get back into pit building. It is my passion.

Thunder, really happy to have inspired you! Thank you. I'll have to check out your build!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 05:27:47 PM by jrsteensen »

Offline Biggles

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »
Hi John,

Good to see you back on track.

But there is something that worries me.
I quote""After my son passed away in 2010, and a few more kids, it got parted out"
What the hell did happen?

Regards,

Biggles.

jrsteensen

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 05:29:05 PM »
Sorry, fixed my phrasing there. My son LJ passed away in 2010 due to a bilateral pneumonia from the flu that the hospital didn't catch. Sucks, but is what it is. I have four other children.

Offline Taipan

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 11:03:09 PM »
Sorry, fixed my phrasing there. My son LJ passed away in 2010 due to a bilateral pneumonia from the flu that the hospital didn't catch. Sucks, but is what it is. I have four other children.
Really sorry to hear John. I hope life is treating you better these days and good luck with the hornet pit.
"If the heat don't get you........"

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 01:13:22 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your son - I'm also well acquainted with hospitals and physicians on both the positive and negative...you have my sincerest sympathies.

On the pit building side, sounds like were on the same track...I'm near to completing my own CNC project, and I'm seriously looking over 3D printers - I like the new Ultimaker S5.  I'm also thinking of augmenting my CNC with a low power laser head, just for engraving/cutting(?) acrylic.
- Rufus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal