* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 137
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: Viper Charlie F-16 Flightsimulator  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Gayet

• Col.
  • Charlie
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Viper Charlie F-16 Flightsimulator
    • Awards
Viper Charlie F-16 Flightsimulator
« on: March 11, 2019, 08:19:32 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]              And more . .
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:20:51 AM by Gayet »

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: Viper Charlie F-16 Flightsimulator
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 12:40:18 AM »
Wow  :sleepyeyed: That looks really very impressive :) Great job you did with this pit  :beer2:

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 05:30:33 AM »
Hello @Gayet, I read on your site you are implementing a G-suit in your sim.

Do you mean the G-pants that will inflate/deflate, or another system? The reason I'm asking is that in some of the trainers G-forces were simulated by inflating/deflating airpockets in the seat (cushions?). So just curious about what you are simulating.

Thanks.

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 03:08:24 PM »
The hot setup is to do both... :whistle: ...
- Rufus

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 05:24:05 PM »
The hot setup is to do both... :whistle: ...

Do you perhaps have any more info on the seat system with the inflatable/deflatable pockets?

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 07:25:46 PM »
Not really...I know how they felt, but not so much about how they actually functioned.  And the one I fly at work now has a mechanical backrest - at least they finally took my advice and fixed it so it pulls you into the seat on accel, instead of pushing you like it first did when they installed it...much more natural, but still not as good as air bladders.

But the principle of operation is pretty basic - you need inflatable seat cushions for the seat pan and seat back.  At one G and not moving they should be fully inflated, or inflated enough to only feel like cushions. Each cushion needs a vent valve and servo or solenoid to actuate it.

The tricky part comes in developing a curve to control the deflation - i.e.; open/close a vent valve vs acceleration, and/or proper selection and staging of the cushion venting.  You sort of have to do that based on feel...and you have to use a pneumatic pump that will keep up with the transients.  The one that runs our seat at work is a simple DeWalt pump that you could get at any good hardware store - it doesn't run continuously, so I'm thinking it's regulated to supply a constant pressure.

The G suit setup is easier, if you can get your hands on a real G suit Service panel and valve.  You just have to supply pressure and open the valve as it would work in flight based on normal accel and RL valve operation.  (I think in RL this valve is just a weighted ball on a calibrated spring that pulls open under actual applied G - you'd need a servo to simulate the G to pull it open.)

The only issue have with doing the G suit for an F-16 is that having now had the opportunity to fly with one in both our Trainer and a RL airplane is that it's only relevant to flying the sim if you have a center stick.  With a center stick the inflated chaps can limit your ability to move the stick - mostly in roll - but with a side stick that's not going to happen.  And if you've ever felt real G forces simply having the chaps inflate doesn't "feel" like G.  On top of this, for the GWTs that I generally operate at there isn't enough G available to even get the chaps to inflate - I have to be shed of all my A/G stores and/or at RTB fuel state before I can even pull enough G to make a difference.  So for our Viper purposes a G suit may be cool, but I can't say it's "necessary" from the standpoint(s) of cost and complexity.
- Rufus

Offline tiger-31

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 10:58:37 PM »
Thanks @Rufus  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal