General discussion, User presentation & Admin > New User Presentation

Hello from the UK!

(1/3) > >>

ChrispyBiscuit99:
Good evening all from Milton Keynes in the UK! I've just started on my first adventure into building a Viper cockpit (or any other cockpit for that matter)....

This thing is a massive learning curve for me as I don't even know how to solder (as yet) and know very little about electronics! I've been into Flight Simulators since the original Flight Sim came out on the PC back in the early 80's (I'm 52 now)!

Back in January I purchased this cockpit off eBay:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Literally a week later, I saw this 90% built structure on eBay again, which I just had to have! It's been built from Tejay's plans, who's based in the USA:

I thought it would be reasonably easy to transfer all the gauges, switches, panels, etc to the cockpit, but the more I learn on this fantastic forum the more overwhelmed I feel, lol!

There's a massive amount of research needed, but thankfully there's this fantastic forum where it looks like most of the thousands of questions have already been answered somewhere or other, which is amazing. I've already started 3D printing out parts for the ACES II seat, spraying them and weathering them, etc. I can't wait to start on the main panels. Cheers Chris

ChrispyBiscuit99:
Oooops, wrong 1st picture!

Hopefully here it is now:

Atlas:
Welcome!

Unfortunately, I don't think the "first" picture is a correct implementation of an F-16 cockpit.  Looks like a lot of things may have been squished together and while maintaining the same "location," it does not have to correct dimensions/spacing.

Like yourself, I've not had much soldering experience until I started, but I'm quite confident with it now.  We all learn new skills for this hobby!

On the pictures of your first post, it looks like there are no holes cut out on the side console surface for the panels?

tiger-31:
Welcome to VP,

You made a good start by getting a more or less ready to use structure. Saves lots of drawing/printng/sawing and building time :thumbsup:

Perhaps put some more detailed pictures, of your "first purchase" or provide some more details of what is in it to see what it is made of and how accurate (or not) it is.  I also concur it does not look that accurate. But all depends on what you want it to look like.

ChrispyBiscuit99:
Thank you for the warm welcome gents, it's much appreciated.  :Thumbs Up:

Around the first purchase, I'm under no illusion that this won't be an accurate scale 1:1 representation of the F-16, I've already resigned myself to that fact. However, I would like to build a well "used" version and the majority of the panels that came with the cockpit will be fine to transfer into the structure. I'll need to superimpose them on to the left/right consoles and auxiliary consoles and work out where they best fit. I'll then cut out the holes accordingly.

I have a WinWing throttle, stick and rudder pedals on order, together with a new ICP and DED from Simgears. I'm currently doing lots of research around what's available out there to try and get most of the rest of the screens and gauges working. For instance, I've been looking at the round 2.8inch LCD screens from AliExpress to power the screens on the centre pedestal, RWR, etc.

I'll be running a VR setup, but would still like to try and make most things function if I can, just in case I want to transfer to using a curved screen at a later date.

Most of the work up to now has been spent on the seat:

Cheers, Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version